Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which short shift is generally considered to be the best for a 6 speed 02M box?

Or are they all generally the same?

EIP

Dieselgeek

Any others to consider?

Id love to believe I wouldn't inherit a notchy gearbox after fitting.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Mr Steel [;)]

They do look very nice indeed.

But....can anybody tell me anything about B&M short shifters?

B&M

Would this replace my existing shifter (inside the car) then my R-Line gearknob and gaitor cover it?

Or is there a B&M short shift available like the Dieselgeek and EIP versions which replace the linkage under the bonnet?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a plan Mr Steel.

If I havent jumped in with both feet first before your GB then I'll be joining it.

Many thanks.

·
OldSkool Crew
660 Posts
I am also very interested in fitting a short shifter to my Fabia...

I'm not sure what box I've got (6 speed PD130?) but I want one.

Fitting the B&M shifter was one of the most satisfying things I had done to my Polo. It made it feel like a little sports car!

Click

Click

Click

(etc)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I am also very interested in fitting a short shifter to my Fabia...

I'm not sure what box I've got (6 speed PD130?) but I want one.

Fitting the B&M shifter was one of the most satisfying things I had done to my Polo. It made it feel like a little sports car!

Click

Click

Click

(etc)
Stop it!................now I want one. [:(]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stop it!................now I want one. [:(]
Hehehehe, which one would you prefer Eddy?

I thinking Dieselgeek or EIP may be the way to go but Josh seems to have nothing but praise for B&M - expensive though.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Waiting?
Why is it still in a box? [;)]

Also is that the B&M shifter?
2 reasons really Gary.

1) I'm not qualified (or brave) enough to fit it myself, even though it comes with VERY thorough instructions, and

2) I can't afford to get it professionally fitted at the minute!! [:'(]

It could well be the B&M, it was bought by the seller for his car but he later found out it was infact incompatible and was sold the wrong one. He paid ?179 for it!! [:O]

But i got it off eBay for the bargain price of, wait for it... ?26 with no other bids so it would've been rude not to!! [<:eek:)]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I'm a fan of the Dieselgeek but have no experience of the others. I have fitted three Race shifters successfully (My PD130, My PD150 and Doc's R32). Driving a Golf with a long throw now feels very weird. I like the directness of the shorter shift.

If buying again I would give the Ultra a go - it was not available at the time.

The fitting instructions are excellent and take you through the process patiently, step by step. Service from Jim Royston @ Dieselgeek is also excellent.

The part being a new mech over the gearbox, means it is a doddle to fit instead of changing the shifter in the cabin like with the B&M.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers James.

Any idea of an approximate cost of shipping for a Dieselgeek shifter?

I can't seem to find shipping info on their site.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Just for you Gary I've dug out my invoice[;)]

Dated 30/4/04, Race Shifter 6-speed $140 plus $7 shipping/handling = $147. I did get charged duty by Customs and Excise - ?18 if I recall.

The Ultra would be the one to have and costs slightly more, but shipping should be the same.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're a [*] James!!

$7 for shipping, is that right??

I have emailed Jim in any case to get a price for the Ultra shipped so I'll get a confirmation from him and post back here.

Could be useful to others.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I went for the B&M at last years inters, thinking it was a 50% reduction, the company that sold it assured me it was. however when i fitted it and took a test drive i was massivly dissapointed. I phoned them......eventually they got back to me and said B&M only did a 50% reduction on the early 5speed tranmission and not the 2001model year 6speed like i have.

Gutted as it took me 3hours to fit it (propshaft in the way) and was left with a 25% reduction. It wasnt what i expected but it was still an improvment it goes into 2nd easier and it it much more positive and gives more confidence. I also took just under half a second off my 1/4mile times around 0.3secs

There are a couple of kits that go on top of the gearbox as you are aware, but the one that stands out for me is the ECS tuning device which can be adjusted 75%, 50%, 25% or 0% reduction and also has the added bonus of having an adjustable weight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts