Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Golf 1.6 FSI, which needs the oil topping up.

Can someone tell me which oil i need to get.

It did have a castrol tag on the dipstick with the spec on, which seems to have fell off.

Cheers Jim[:)]

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you've not changed your car to fixed interval servicing then you should be using oils which meet SAE 0W-30 and are VW 503.00, 506.00 and 506.01 approved (these specifications should be marked in your manual in the oil requirements section). An example oil you can get from Halfords that meets these standards is Castrol SLX Longlife II.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I take it back - having gone there on advice of you guys on herep
reviously about oil being cheaper at dealers, I was spitting at 11
whatever for a litre... I take it all back VW, nice one.

And thanks guys [y]

C

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you've not changed your car to fixed interval servicing then you should be using oils which meet SAE 0W-30 and are VW 503.00, 506.00 and 506.01 approved (these specifications should be marked in your manual in the oil requirements section). An example oil you can get from Halfords that meets these standards is Castrol SLX Longlife II.

Hope this helps.
Its been rebranded now to Castrol 'Extra' or something like, now in a gold bottle instead of silver

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you've not changed
your car to fixed interval servicing then you should be using oils
which meet SAE 0W-30 and are VW 503.00, 506.00 and 506.01 approved
(these specifications should be marked in your manual in the oil
requirements section). An example oil you can get from Halfords
that meets these standards is Castrol SLX Longlife II.

Hope this helps.
Its been rebranded now to Castrol 'Extra' or something like, now in a gold bottle instead of silver
I dont think it has as the castrol website (which may be out of date) still suggests:

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9004921&contentId=6008704

then again it may have been

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9004868&contentId=7008962

Anyone confirm that Castrol EDGE has superseeded Longlife II as the oil of choice?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Don't think the Castrol Edge stuff is suitable - from their website:

'Latest specification for Vauxhall, BMW, Mercedes and most other modern engines.'

For the 0W 30 stuff it meets VW 502 00/503 01/505 00. Pretty sure that its not suitable for variable service VWs because of this. Don't have a handbook to hand to check.

As a result I'd suggest sticking with SLX II or go down to the local dealer....

·
Registered
689 Posts
Don't think the Castrol Edge stuff is suitable - from their website:

'Latest specification for Vauxhall, BMW, Mercedes and most other modern engines.'

For the 0W 30 stuff it meets VW 502 00/503 01/505 00. Pretty sure that its not suitable for variable service VWs because of this. Don't have a handbook to hand to check.

As a result I'd suggest sticking with SLX II or go down to the local dealer....
5W 30 for the VW engines, and AFAIK they dont make SLXII any more.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had a look in Halfrauds yesterday, and it says on the Castrol Edge 5W/30 bottle that it replaces SLX II, and that 5W/30 is now rated to VW507.00, so it seems it's a higher spec. I wonder how well it mixes with SLX II ? ?39.99 for a 4.5l bottle

Steve

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Just about to change my oil to 'Mobil 1' 0W-40 fully synthetic.  Its a longlife approved oil for Porche and BMW but not (strangely) for VW so I will only leave it in for 12 months/10,000 miles. It does however cost ?19.95(+VAT) from Costco!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Just about to change my oil to 'Mobil 1' 0W-40
fully synthetic. Its a longlife approved oil for Porche and BMW
but not (strangely) for VW so I will only leave it in for 12
months/10,000 miles. It does however cost ?19.95(+VAT) from
Costco!
Mobil 1's latest spec of longlife oil for VW's is called Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w-30.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Just about to change my oil to 'Mobil 1' 0W-40 fully synthetic. Its a longlife approved oil for Porche and BMW but not (strangely) for VW so I will only leave it in for 12 months/10,000 miles. It does however cost ?19.95(+VAT) from Costco!
Mobil 1's latest spec of longlife oil for VW's is called Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w-30.
Oh - the stuff I got from Costco the other day is as in my first post, ie: 0W-40. Should be OK for 12 months/ 10,000 miles anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts