Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lo all,

Just had the low engine oil warning light come on after 4000 miles .. Anybody got any recommendations for which oil I should top up with .. Looked at Castrol site and it suggest 5W-30 Castrol Edge.

Thanks in Advance

Steve

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi there,

You should have been given a bottle of 'Longlife' oil with the car- in a black pouch in the boot.

So be safe, I would go to a VW dealers/garage and buy a litre of Longlife oil. Just say its a 2.0 TDI and they will s elect the right one. I'm not sure, but using other oil types might have warrenty issues. I know as a company car driver, if I use 'incorect fluids' in the car I get myself in serious trouble!

Keep an eye on your oil! There have been reports of 2.0 TDIs using as much as 7 litres in the first 10000 miles!

Mines now at 10000 miles (since new in Jan06) and I have used a litre of Longlife II.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks .. I Spoke to my local VW stealer and they said the oil in the black pouch is at the dealers discreation !!!!!! And they don't give them away with new cars !!

Anyway I also spoke to the service group and they said they use Castrol SLX Longlife II .. But on the Castrol site it said that this is replaced with Castrol Edge 5W-30 .. BUT castrol SLX Longlife II is 0W_30 .. Ahhhhhhhh now I'm really confused ..

Help !

Steve

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nothings ever easy is it?

With regards to the dealer not supplying oil with new cars, I got one and im sure there are other guys on this forum who say that the oil should have been supplied. I have read threads where the oil pouch wasnt there when they went to collect their car and the new owner kicks up a fuss and gets one for free. I dont know for sure if this definately should be supplied with the car, but i'm sure someone out there will know.

I went to the dealers a few weeks ago for some new Longlife oil. In the car there was initially a litre bottle of LonglifeII oil in a black leatherette pouch. The replacement i got was LonglifeIII and I was told that this was the new replacement for the discontinued LonglifeII. (im sure the dealers make stuff up all the time!)

It sounds like your dealers there aren't particularly helpfull!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Very interesting...

My oil was looking low so I used half of my new LonglifeIII bottle.

Thinking back to your comments steve:

"Anyway I also spoke to the service group and they said they use Castrol SLX Longlife II .. But on the Castrol site it said that this is replaced with Castrol Edge 5W-30 .. BUT castrol SLX Longlife II is 0W_30 .. Ahhhhhhhh now I'm really confused .."

My LonglifeIII bottle is graded 5W-30. And i distinctly remember the LonglifeII being 0W-30.

Does this mean that VW have made a mistake? Has their origional Longlife oil s election been too thin? Are they now seeing problems because of this?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Should be a sticker under your bonnet, at the front, near the latch. Mine (2005 car 2006 model year) says:

Long Life Servicing

Use Castrol SLX LONGLIFE II (As printed)

503.00/506.00/506.01

I know you can't get Longlife II anymore, so I'd guess that the standards numbers at the bottom are the best guide.

As MattsBlackGT says though, the recommended grade may have changed, but,don't the grade numbers indicate the range of temperatures over which an oil is effective? As I understand it, an oil rated 5W-30 has the same upper temperature limit as one rated 0W-30, but will not be as effective at lower temperatures. The oils may well be equivalent in all other respects, and meet VW's specification for the long life service regime.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Should be a sticker under your bonnet, at the front, near the latch. Mine (2005 car 2006 model year) says:

Long Life Servicing

Use Castrol SLX LONGLIFE II (As printed)

503.00/506.00/506.01

I know you can't get Longlife II anymore, so I'd guess that the standards numbers at the bottom are the best guide.

As MattsBlackGT says though, the recommended grade may have changed, but,don't the grade numbers indicate the range of temperatures over which an oil is effective? As I understand it, an oil rated 5W-30 has the same upper temperature limit as one rated 0W-30, but will not be as effective at lower temperatures. The oils may well be equivalent in all other respects, and meet VW's specification for the long life service regime.
This is interesting. I had my longlife service a few months ago and noticed the oil had changed from 0/30 to 5/30. I feel suspicious why and whether the Castrol 5/30 is longlife oil for a PD engine and not the fixed service oil.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I also had to purchase some oil after using up the SLX II that I got with the car. (Had to ask the dealer for the pouch.) There was some of the SLX II at my local BP at a hefty ?17.99 a litre. However was in Halfords and they sold Castrol Edge 5W-40, I think, at ?13-14, and it says on the bottle that it replaces SLX II.

Not sure where I read it, whether it be on this site or on Castrol, but they are mixable.

Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I Have just bought some oil for my GT 2.0TDI and I can tell you the correct oil for this engine is 5W/30 Castrol Edge ,I went to my dealer who wanted to charge ?17 a litre for longlife and so I had a look and Halfords sell 4 litres of the longlife replacement EDGE for ?43.

I can not understand why V W Dealers are so bad at pricing ,If they sold the correct oil at a good price there customers would buy it instead of going elesware.

Pete.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am up to 18000 miles on my Tdi and used 2 liters of oil-it was a bit of a shock to find the car was using oil-and its bloody expensive stuff too-?15 a pop

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I can not understand why V W Dealers are so bad at pricing ,If they sold the correct oil at a good price there customers would buy it instead of going elesware.
Most of the oil they sell will be as part of a service, when they will charge ?50+ for it. This will cost them nothing like that figure, as it will be bulk supply, in a barrel. As they would be on thin ice, charging two prices, they will stick with the higher one. They are not called stealers for nothing.

One dodge on the servicing front is to supply your own oil. They don't like it, but usually agree.

·
Registered
894 Posts
GT4MOTION

?17 a litre bottle for Castrol longlife ?

That is a rip off, most dealers I visit seem to sell it at around ? 12 . ( some include the carry pouch )

Even Dublin-TDI only paid the equivalent of about ? 10.72.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes ?17 per single litre bottle,The local VW Garage changed ownership and the new company thought they would change things .I bought a bottle from them two months ago for less than ?12 and then when i went back for more i was asked for ?17 and the parts man even told me i should go the the Audi garage as it was cheaper there,It does seem a strange way to run a business.

One thing i would say though is that these VW TDI engines do need checking for oil use often and i would not advise waiting untill the Engine Oil Light comes on as this means that the engine has low oil pressure due to not enough oil and this could lead to needing a new engine!.

I Work with engines and one of the main problems we get regarding engines needing a full rebuild is because the owner can not be bothered to top up the oil,It seems they would rather pay thousands than check the levels every other week.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bringing this thread kicking and screaming back to life:

I visited my local Halfrauds today to buy a litre of oil for my 2.0 GT TDI 140, the one without DPF I believe. The car is currently set up an Longlife servicing. Its not in need of a top up but I thought it best practice to keep one in the boot. [:)]

The only Castrol they had available was Castrol Edge but it didn't have VW 506.01 listed on the back which my handbook says is suitable for my car.

I have looked through a lot of posts already and it seems that the recommended viscosity used to be 5W-30 but it has now changed to 0W-30.

Question is there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to which oil is suitable for my engine....?

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
It's all got a bit confusing really.

The new oil which VW recommend is available at Halfords - Castrol Edge VW 5-30 (it clearly says VW on the front of the bottle)

On the back of the bottle you'll find it lists VW 504.00 and VW 507.00 (506 and 506.01 have now been superseeded by this)

these are the latest specs to which you should be looking for long life service oil

here's the link to Halfords website

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_169996_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_77303_crumb_33958-31345-77302_parentcategoryrn_77303

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
As GTI Flu said,, I did ask Castrol a while back about the inconsistencies on their branding and this was the reply..

Hi Andrew

The EDGE 5W-30 meets the latest LongLife III specifications ( 504 00 / 507 00 ) and is backwards compatible with LongLife II so VW dealers will now be using the latest LongLife III specifications in place of the LongLife II and this is quite acceptable.

LongLife III supersedes the LongLife II in all but some R5 engines and is miscible with LongLife II so you can use for top up and refill

Kind regards
Lubricants Automotive - Europe Region
Lubricants Technical Advisor

1 - 20 of 30 Posts