Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 GTI T and have now tried three readers and none will connect. Also have a 1999 Polo and same deal. Got no responses from previous question so asking in a different way.

Which device do you use and what age is your mark 4?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can be arsed to answer this time.....

·
Registered
2001 MK4 GTI
2 Posts
I have a 1998 GTI T and have now tried three readers and none will connect. Also have a 1999 Polo and same deal. Got no responses from previous question so asking in a different way.

Hello,

First time posting. I use Foxwell NT500 ~ bought my mk4 new September 2001 - Indigo Blue, still going strong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

First time posting. I use Foxwell NT500 ~ bought my mk4 new September 2001 - Indigo Blue, still going strong.
Was my second post and you are the first response so thank you. Also thanks for info. At least i have made a start with an option that will probably? work for me. Though looking, its not cheap. More than i wanted to pay anyhow. What made you go for that kit? Seem really good reader but perhaps beyond my currently modest mechanical abilities.

·
Registered
2001 MK4 GTI
2 Posts
Bought the Foxwell as I had already decided my car would be a permanent (Keeper) fixture ~ we've been through several "difficult situations" and it has been the one constant I knew without fail would be there and get the job done! I know the NT500 is on the pricey side but does come with free updates. Assuming you have the Haynes manual, there is a USA similar book "Chilton 70403" same idea but goes into more detail (a bonus for me as not really techi). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Volkswagen Golf GTI 1.8T LC9Z
138 Posts

VCDS LITE (Registered) Lets me do everything ive ever needed to do, can monitor all sorts on my car! helped diagnose tonnes of problems! (MK4 Golf GTI 1.8T AUM 2002)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lets assume for a minute im really thick and dont know anything about VAG or VCDS. I just want to plug something into my car to check and hopefully clear a ABS fault. Anyone have any suggestions of what i can buy that will definitely work on a 1998 golf GTI T and wont break the bank and is not too complicated to set up and use?

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
Thick or not the only off-the-shelf solution that will work on your k-line OBD (car that will give the same abilities as the dealer software) is VCDS/VAG-COM. The earlier version will do just fine but requires you to have a laptop with a USB port and you to install a driver for the cable and the software... after that it is smooth sailing as the interface is self explanatory... and if that is too difficult for you, the makers have a perfect wiki page for you to read on how to use it ... and with owning a VAG car you'd want to have at least Vag-com.... but as stated by others VAG-DS is a better copy cable to buy as it updates properly

PS vag-com/VCDS allows you to do everything the dealer is capable of doing software wise... and your best solution period. a cheapo vag-com cable ( works with the early versions 3.11 to 4.09) cost about 5 quid of ebay and come with the old software, that will do it all on your 1998 mk4 and your 1999 polo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thick or not the only off-the-shelf solution that will work on your k-line OBD (car that will give the same abilities as the dealer software) is VCDS/VAG-COM. The earlier version will do just fine but requires you to have a laptop with a USB port and you to install a driver for the cable and the software... after that it is smooth sailing as the interface is self explanatory... and if that is too difficult for you, the makers have a perfect wiki page for you to read on how to use it ... and with owning a VAG car you'd want to have at least Vag-com.... but as stated by others VAG-DS is a better copy cable to buy as it updates properly

PS vag-com/VCDS allows you to do everything the dealer is capable of doing software wise... and your best solution period. a cheapo vag-com cable ( works with the early versions 3.11 to 4.09) cost about 5 quid of ebay and come with the old software, that will do it all on your 1998 mk4 and your 1999 polo
OK thank you..... thats all good info that assumes a little prior knowledge (im a newbie here). So i got a little homework to do. Does this VAGcom software have a free version? Saw a video that showed a $100 price tag but not sure if that was just a demo.

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
as i stated before when you buy the cheapo 5 pound copy k-line cable it does come with a cracked old version.. and if you get it without the software, there are multiple sources to download it of the internet.... fully working with the cheap cable and (most important) virus free

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
as i stated before when you buy the cheapo 5 pound copy k-line cable it does come with a cracked old version.. and if you get it without the software, there are multiple sources to download it of the internet.... fully working with the cheap cable and (most important) virus free
OK going to do that right now. Very many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Really appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts