Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an LCD monitor at the moment but bewildered by the choices out there. Considering a Dell 2005FPW as a possibility or maybe just a bog standard 19" one with DVI. Anyone have experience of that particular Dell? I figure it should be able to do double duty as a TV/DVD/Playstation monitor but not sure whether it's worth the additional price to do that or not.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Don't have any expeience with that Dell, but looks at a Dell 17" TFT right now. They are fine, but if your realy wanting something a bit special, try a Sony X-Black or a WXGA monitor, absolutely superb.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mum has Dell 1704 and I'm impressed with the quality of that connected to my new ATI 9600XT card.  I wasn't sure about LCD's before but I'm sold now.  Thanks for the tip, will have a look at how Sony prices stack up.  Very undecided whether to spend a minimal amount of money and get something that is for the PC only or shell out a bit more for something that might be multi-functional.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
It very much depends on what you want it for. If you want it for gaming
then I'd look for a sub 10ms response time. Iiyama have one and a
couple of other manufacturers do too.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's mainly going to be regular PC stuff but in my case that does include some video editing.  Don't play any PC games any more, only GT on a Playstation.  In the past, while I was overseas, I've had the Playstation hooked up to my TV.  Now back in the UK but don't know for how long so I'm looking at all options. Figured that a wide screen monitor with a composite and/or s-video input would be OK for a Playstation or external TV box even if the response was only in the 16ms range.  Is that a reasonable assumption?

·
Registered
674 Posts
No, if you are going to plug a PS2 or Xbox into it, you will need an 8MS screen otherwise you will get ghosting.

I can recommend the Hyundai L90D+ www.hyundaiq.com as I am the UK Distributor for them! ;-)

check out www.overclockers.co.uk or www.scan.co.uk

Dell do have a history of using the cheapest panels inside their TFT's and these are made which ever factory (non Dell Factory) has the time and components to build - and the cheapest labour that week, so the models vary depending on which factory...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I am running a pair of 18" Dell (1801 I think) off an NVidia dual
graphics card and they are excellent. The ones I have are
actually rebranded LG.

If you want TV, Dell do 17 23 and 30" offerings

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thans for the additional info guys, that's good to know.  Figured I'd stay away from the Dell TV LCD offerings as AFAIK they are analogue TV only and you have to pay a premium for them.  Seemed a better bet to get a monitor with video inputs and just get an external digital TV box.  Shame about the response time issue and the potential variability of the Dell products as their wide screen monitor is currently priced at ?370 and I haven't found anything else close to that.  Guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've had the 2005fpw for a couple of weeks and it is awesome!! I've
watched movies and played HL2 on it with no sign of ghosting. The
response time is actually 12ms which is fine. The panel used is
identical to the Apple 20" widescreen. I've got my sky box hooked up
using the pcture in picture, it really is the daddy. I paid 360 from
www.aria.co.uk on a superspecial offer. I tried a sony sdm-hs94 before
this but took it back, not a patch on the dell!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Depending on what model, Iiyama and Hyundai sometimes use the same panel. Hyundai have a reputation now for making some of the best Gaming Panels on the market - the L90D+ has won loads of awards and received many gold star reviews. They only use whats classed as a Grade A panel in any of their monitors. Iiyama are not so fussy through the range. Agreed, their high end models do have Grade A, but you have to know which ones.....

It comes down to how much you want to spend and what you need the panel for......

·
Registered
674 Posts
Its a possibility....

We dont usually sell to non-trade, but being that this is the best forum on the net Im sure I could do something..

Depends on the interest levels....

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Don't have any expeience with that Dell, but looks at a Dell 17" TFT right now. They are fine, but if your realy wanting something a bit special, try a Sony X-Black or a WXGA monitor, absolutely superb.
Got WXGA X-black on my notebook it rocks [Y], second generation X-black with two lamps (so the battery dies really quick...)

Desktop X-black displays are now down to 8 ms. Very bright and sharp.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I went for the Dell wide screen in the end because it has the connectivity options I want as well as the wide screen at an attractive price.  Arrived last night, only two days after I ordered. So far I'm very happy with the display but I was gutted to discover that the built-in USB hub is only 1.1 spec, not 2. In 2005?  That sucks. Still have to connect the freeview box and test everything but initial impressions are very favourable.  Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts