Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My wife has just got a new job which will involve lots of driving around the Dorset/Somerset area. She's not the greatest at map reading, and would prefer her to concentrate on the road so will be buying her a SatNav system of some sort. It has to be pretty simple to operate (else she'll lose patience with it). Available overlays for speed cameras and hospital locations (she works for NHS) would be great. Main requirement is the one with the best mapping, although bluetooth handsfree for mobile would be a major bonus.

So... which is the most popular / suitable GPS system:-

[Poll]

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I've used TomTom Mobile and had no probs, so Im assuming that the
stand-alone units are even better. The new ones are iPod compatible too
[:D]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
If you want the one with best UK mapping then without doubt you need one with NAVTEQ mapping.  I suggest the Garmin from that list.  It has NAVTEQ mapping, can use speed cameras and has hospital POI's built in.  That coupled with full post codes at a good price makes it a clear winner.  Also, if she wants a simple one, stay away from a PDA device.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My experience of the TomTom One has been very positive. With an updated receiver it's far better than the Go 300/500/700s.

I have a seperate HF kit for the phone so can't comment on BT capability.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have used TomTom on my phone and CoPilot both are extremly good. The text to speech feature of CoPilot is extremly good giving speech directions telling you the road numbers or road names eg "Take Second Exit on the A14" instead of just "Take Second Exit"

CoPilot Live can also connect to CoPilot's servers to get live traffic information over the internet and then warn you or re-route you around the problem which is cool.

Chris

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
All those people recommending TomTom need to read the brief again, best mapping was required, not best advertising or most gimmicks. 

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Read the brief again as suggested.

Previous comment stands:

I have Tom Tom - still very impressed by it.......AND IT HAPPENS TO HAVE A FUNNY VOICE!!!!

chillout milkfloat. [;)]

I'd say the ultimate mapper is a Garmin device with Google Earth! But difficult to set-up and requires a connection & stuff! Satellite photography etc might be a bit overkill! lol.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Milkfloat is right - that was the brief - you'll find he's quite chilled really.....

I commented because IMHO TomTom One has the best package - price, features, ease of use, mapping, price etc.

Oh and Google earth is well out of date for my house alone - I've changed my car 3 times since the pic was taken.....

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I'm chilled - after all I am a Milkfloat.  The reason I say to discount the TomTom if you want supperior mapping is because it uses TeleAtlas data not NAVTEQ.  Other than that it is a superb bit of kit.  If you want TomTom and NAVTEQ then you have to buy the expensive 'Rider' product desgined for motorbikes.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've used TomTom on a PDA and, although couldn't really fault it too
much, I thought the maps weren't great. For example,
where I work, I was just stuck in the middle of nowhere. No
roads, no names, just a biege patch... and as far as I am
aware, this site has been here since 1967.

I assume the TomTom GO 910 is a TeleAtlas unit too? And
also that ridiculous triangular shape that cannot fit into your pocket
without people pointing and laughing?

Thanks,

b6x

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've used TomTom on a PDA and, although couldn't really fault it too much, I thought the maps weren't great. For example, where I work, I was just stuck in the middle of nowhere. No roads, no names, just a biege patch... and as far as I am aware, this site has been here since 1967.

I assume the TomTom GO 910 is a TeleAtlas unit too? And also that ridiculous triangular shape that cannot fit into your pocket without people pointing and laughing?

Thanks,
b6x
mine is roughly the same size as a nokia 6230 phone.

Fits fine in the pocket just like any other mobile phone.

I can use it in any car and even walking around. Just needs a small bluetooth GPS unit.

What have you been looking at?/

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I've used TomTom on a PDA and, although couldn't really fault it too much, I thought the maps weren't great. For example, where I work, I was just stuck in the middle of nowhere. No roads, no names, just a biege patch... and as far as I am aware, this site has been here since 1967.
This is one area when TomTom lets itself down. 95%+ of the tim eit's fine. But occasionally it gets confused, and there's gaps.

There's a roundabout up the road with three exits (first goes into a golf course). Tom Tom only has two. Sounds stupid, but it says "take the first exit" on ti's map, and you end up in the golf course! Unless you look at the map as you drive anyway, and that then puts you as a driver at risk and those around you.

I've tried Navteq based stuff and TomTom stuff, the Navteq mapping is more accurate, but the presentation sometimes lets itself down - and the TomTom wins by absolute miles on interface and ease (can do TomTom on the move without having to look at the PDA so....)

As MF also said, avoid the PDA thing, get a proper satnav device - you get all sorts of fun and games with the PDA stuff from time to time, even if you're running 5.2! Requires a little patience.

Good luck on your choice - obviously if you get the ideas and a shortlist of options, go into the shop and at least get a mini demo of those you are thinking of [y]

C

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I forgot to say earlier. If you want to test out some of the systems available and you are passing Warwickshire feel free to drop in.  I have about 20 different demo units from most of the major manufacturers.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers for all the advice guys. I haven't actually been to look
at any myself yet, however have seen a TomTom 700 in the flesh
and also had TomTom PDA for a little while - however that was
unreliable (more the bluetooth hardware than TomTom itself) so think
you are all right when you say PDA is not the simpliest. Looking
about the web, I think I'm probably going to find a Garmin Nuvi
310 on demo - thats definate favourite so fair I think, or maybe
the 360 if budget allows.

Anyone have a Nuvi already and can comment on it's pros and cons? I'll let you all know the final choice. :)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I forgot to say earlier. If you want to test out some of the systems available and you are passing Warwickshire feel free to drop in. I have about 20 different demo units from most of the major manufacturers.
In a position to get on with buying one now... as a matter of interest, do you sell SatNav units? Is that your field? If so, do you do mail order and whats the damage for the units in the Nuvi range, delivered please?

Regards,
b6x

1 - 19 of 19 Posts