Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now i'm not right up on the whole iPod thing so please forgive the lame questions! [:$]

But basically, i've been thinking about it now for a couple of weeks as i'll be after one in a few months time, not straight away, but there seem to be so many options available so how do i choose the one that's right for me?! [:O]

All i really want to know is which would you go for? The cost isn't really an option i suppose since i'll be buying it next year and i'll have enough saved by then hopefully to get any one of them, but also, i won't want to lash out on the top of the range model if i'm not going to use all of it's features! [;)]

A pro's and cons list would also be great.... If there are any! [Y]

P.S. It won't be for use in the car at all, i'm not gonna install it, it'll just be for portable use only! [:D]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I'll be interested to hear thoughts on this also, with a holiday coming up i'd like to take the plunge.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be interested to hear thoughts on this also, with a holiday coming up i'd like to take the plunge.
Funny you should say that Gary, that's exactly why i'm posting this actually... I'm planning on having one for my hols next year so i'm getting the advice early! [;)][Y]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I've kind of narrowed it down to two, the 6GB Mini iPod and the new 20GB colour version.

I think 6GB should be fine, especially as it will only be used now and again.

Still, I've never used or played with either so its still all a bit [:S]

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that's the sort of the issue for me aswell, i'm not sure whether buying a 6GB mini would be the right option for me as i'll fill it up eventually and it won't be able to hold any more, and like you, it will only really be used for holidays and such. [;)]

But on the other hand, i'm not sure whether the 60GB version is worthwhile, it seems a tad extreme because as much as i'd try and fill it up, i don't think i'd ever get 60GB worth of music on there.... as much as i'd like to try! [;)]

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
60 gig photo.

think how much music you'll have in 5 years time. LOTS!

Make sure you get a stand charger/sync station too as they're essential.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
60 gig photo.
Is the photo bit really necessary though, i want it for listening to music, not for storing photo's? But having said that, what's the price difference between the 60GB standard iPod and the 60GB photo one? If it's not much i'll consider it! [:D]

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Here are my opinions:

The mini iPods are ok, but I'd only ever get one if my budget could
stretch no further. The 6gb mini one will hold about 1200 songs in mp3
(192 kbps) format, which is more than enough for most people. However,
at ?170, I'd definately spend the extra ?40 and get the 20gb (about
4000 songs) which also has a colour screen and IMO the larger screens
are much clearer too.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
60 gig isnt that much really
No it isn't, if you've already got 60GB's worth of music to transfer, but i don't have and i'm fussy about what i download aswell, i only download what i like, not downloading just for the sake of it and not a great amount at that so it would take me quite a while to fill 60GB!!... Is it worth it? [:)]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I bought 60GB Photo for the following reasons;

- I bought SatNav for the car to replace in-dash changer and Dension Ice-Link with iPod made so much sense.

- I have >2,500 CD's.

- My Mrs is sick of the sight of them.

I don't download tunes as I do like owning the physical product. I have uploaded about 12GB so far, but haven't scratched the surface. I haven't made any playlists yet either but have a few ideas for some.

My biggest/only criticism of the iPod is that unless you want to make a single album into one track, you cannot get rid of a gap between tunes. I have a hell of a lot of DJ mixes, and it annoys the hell out of me to hear a gap. I've looked on some forums and it appears that Apple aren't going to fix this for the foreseeable. Someone tell me I'm wrong!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I went for a 20g one - currently ?190 or so at Argos............

I put all of my CD's (around 150) and used a quarter of the space

Bear in mind you may not think you need one with big memory, but having one will allow you to use the best bitrate to get better quality rather than quantity

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
I'd say go for the 20GB Ipod.

I have one and currently have about 3500 songs on it, but in all honesty, I listen to about 20-30 different albums on it, the rest is just a collection of old music that i'll rarely listen too.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I'll throw a spanner in the works. Why not go for the Sony HD series
mp3 walkmans? Some people say they're better musically than the iPod.
Certainly the iPod is not the loudest of players but has got all the
marketing behind it. If you only ever intend to use it as a personal
player that's what I'd be looking at.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
As I said above, the difference in price between the 6gb mini and the
20gb 'grown-ups' one is nothing when you conscider the difference in
spec.

Also, its nice to have a big collection of tunes in one place - I was
stuck in traffic for 8 hours on the way to Bournemouth a few weeks back
- The musical choice ranged from Roll Deep/The Game etc, to Coldplay
and back round to Phil Collins etc - Plus with the help of a cable I
then had all that music accessible thru the TV in my hotel room[:)]

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bear in mind you may not think you need one with big memory, but having one will allow you to use the best bitrate to get better quality rather than quantity
That's a very good point, i hadn't thought of that... Cheers! [;)][Y]

·
Registered
558 Posts
To be honest, technology moves on so fast that I'd recommend you buy just what you need.  No point in buying a 60gb photo top of the range one if all your going to do is just listen to it occasionally or when your on holiday.  I've got a mini Ipod that I've put 90% of my CDs onto and its only half full.  By the time I'm close to filling it I'll probably want to remove some of the outdated cds anyway as I always shuffle.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I'll throw a spanner in the works. Why not go for the Sony HD series
mp3 walkmans? Some people say they're better musically than the iPod.
Certainly the iPod is not the loudest of players but has got all the
marketing behind it. If you only ever intend to use it as a personal
player that's what I'd be looking at.
I have to agree as I have a Sony HD one and it is class for sound
quality, I only wanted it for when I was going back and forth from uni
but now I can have it hooked up in my car because it has a direct line
out which makes me get another 20gig worth of music in my car.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Certainly the iPod is not the loudest of players but has got all the marketing behind it.
The relatively low volume on my Ipod used to annoy me... I think its due to some EU safety directive. But to get around it you can boost the volume (without distortion) using EUpod http://www.espen.se
Yep I used that as well and it made a big difference!

There is a 100db cap in place on EU Ipods and EUpod removes this

1 - 20 of 36 Posts