Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a '99 Mk4 1.6 and I have been reading up about induction kits for it.

I appologise if this has been covered before but I can't really find a definitive answer.

I have seen lots of people saying they have had problems with their MAF due to oily filters so I was wondering which brands are oiled and which are not.

So far I believe K&N are oiled while Green aren't, am I right?
Also what about Pipercross and Jetex? I have seen the Jetex kits for a fair bit cheaper than the K&N equivalent so are they any good?

Cheers

Mik

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Green filters are also oiled but very lightly.
The MAF is unstable at the best of times, its just very easy to blame a failure on a panel filter/induction kit. Who knows, the very same MAF may well have failed if running a stock VW paper filter.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I've had two MAP sensor failures on my 1.6 under warranty and on the stock paper filter. Fact is these things fail. I've now been running a K&N panel and now induction kit for 2 years no problems. Car engines have oil flying all over the place anyway, far more than you'd find on an air filter.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So its rather just people putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 assuming it was the inducion kit to blame when it is more likely just the sensor itself.
How would you know if the sensor was faulty, I think I read fuel economy decreases and acceleration becomes stuttery. Are these minor effects or rather dramatic and easily noticable?

PS- can anyone comment on Jetex induction kits (I prefer the look of their blue over the green Green filters ;) )

Mik

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have a Jabba Sport Induction Kit and it`s been fine for the 2 months that it`s been on the car.

They work good on some cars, but not so good on others. You really have to just try it and see for yourself.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
If the sensor fails you'll get among other things loss of power and sometimes misfiring, although the same symptoms can be caused by other things like faulty coil packs and lambda sensor or EGR valve.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK cheers :)

Still no comment on Jetex kits? Thats the one I am leaning toward at the moment mainly because of the more reasonable price and also I prefer the colour as I said :p

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Yeah Jetex is a decent brand. There's not a lot of different betwen them and certainly not that you'd notice on a NA 1.6.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah thats what I was thinking that there wouldn't be much difference really. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to buy a poor one ;)

Thanks for your help

Mik

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
no one can actualy blame the filter oils for their MAF failurs. i dont think there really is much hard evidence that the filter oils actualy damage the MAF! but i would go for green if i had a choice as they are only lighly oild

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a K&N Induction Kit On My Bora 2.3 V5, Can't really say it has given me a big improvement or sound! - Maybe a slight increase in throttle response - haven't had any MAF trouble yet! - Touch Wood!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Improved throttle response would be good for me as the car does feel a little restricted at low revs ;)
I'd be happy with that and a little growl to go with it, of course I don't expect it to be like fitting a turbo or anything :p

·
Registered
447 Posts
my filter is not an induction kit as such, it is just a universal conical filter that I bought to replace the filter on my carbon fibre cold air intake...

i got it direct from jetex as i prototyped their 1.8T downpipe/race cat for VW driver magazine a few months back

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
i got my K&N on my 1.6 3 weeks ago it makes a little sound it was enought to put a smirk on my face but since i got my blueflame full decat system im constantally grinning [:D]

just got to get a manifold to make it complete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts