Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which engine is fitted to your MKV GT TDI ?

AZV

BKD

They are both 103 KW but might explain why some people get mpg figures like 42 and others 55+

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Which engine is fitted to your MKV GT TDI ?

AZV
BKD

They are both 103 KW but might explain why some people get mpg figures like 42 and others 55+
No-one is getting 55+ as an average I don't think.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The one fitted to my car is a BKD and the best i can get is 43 mpg, it's not chipped and that's driving to get the best mpg

Some people on here have posted if not 55 mpg, a lot more then 43 mpg

·
Registered
246 Posts
how do u know what one is fitted ?

i can get 53 as an average when taking the parents out or taking it easy

find i get better on normal roads where i am not tempted to speed alone like u do on the moterway

·
Registered
689 Posts
No-one is getting 55+ as an average I don't think.
I am [:D]

If i do a motorway journey of 50miles at a steady 70 i can push 60.

I usually cruise at just under 80 and return 52-54, since i passed 20k i havent had less than 50 average on a brim to brim. Not sure which engine i have though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine is BKD

I get between 42 and 44 mpg

What's the difference bewteen the two ?
I've got a BKD, current mileage = 2450

Average to date: 50.3 mpg

Motorway at 80 ish = 45 mpg 75 ish = 50 mpg

Motorway at 80 ish with a headwind = 42 mpg

Motorway at 50-60 with a tailwind = 55+ mpg

Factor in uphills and downhills, ambient temp. and driving style, and it's virtually impossible to draw comparisons (IMHO).

·
Registered
136 Posts
On my avergae drive to work(35 miles) I get between 50 & 55 mpg on average, I have managed to push it up to 60 on a couple of occassions driving carefully.

I would say I have a fairly average driving patten.

I get roughly the same on the way back too.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
These figures are not what I would consider average, I would say a balanced mixture of town/motorway driving is average for most people.

I can get 50mpg on the motorway in my 1.6FSI, record 53.3mpg.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mines not just motorway driving,

On my drive to work, I drive through one town into country roads, rounds the lovely reading M4 round about, sit still on the m4 for a bit, drive a bit, get to slough and then sit in traffic there.

Thats why I consider mine to be pretty average for a commuter

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I suggest its more to do with how we define 'average'. For example I always aim to get at least a 50mpg reading in the average fuel consumption part of my trip computer on each journey I do that is longer than a couple of miles. I pretty much always achieve 50+ and very often its nearer 55mpg when I keep the speed down on the motorway. However this is the individual journey computer (1). If I flick the rocker switch below the right hand stalk and look at screen 2 which has not been re-set since I had the car then the total mpg average is something just below 46mpg.

I have never been able to achieve a 60+ figure under any circumstances yet and find that even 50+ becomes elusive if the speed goes over 70mph. Perhaps a 50 mile motorway crawl at 55mph would do it but I am just not that patient!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lets not quibble about whats meant by some words.

I had hoped to find out if there was any relationship between MPG and the two GT TDI engine types fitted to the MKV Golf

·
Registered
16 Posts
My car get's driven in an average to heavy footed way. It is usually loaded with heavy samples in the boot and it gets used to get around not to nurse the mpg computer. I think that in mind my mpg of around 43mpg is good and I am very happy with it. I expect to get more like 45mpg with a few more thousand miles on the engine.

I am still curious to know what the differences are between the two engine types? or is it just where they were made?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Lets not quibble about whats meant by some words.
I had hoped to find out if there was any relationship between MPG and the two GT TDI engine types fitted to the MKV Golf
Without some comprehension and agreement of what is meant by 'average', you will not get any meaningful information. I will however check to see what my engine code is.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you read my post, these were example figures and i also quoted my brim to brim average. My daily commute involves about 10miles in slow traffic, so i consider i have a wide range of driving over a full tank.

The other day i did 300 miles, probably 200 motorway at 80-85. 40 around town and 60 absolutely hooning it on A roads. I returned an MFC readout of 55.4mpg,

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'd like to add my own fuel consumption figures for my GT Tdi (BKD engine). I have done 10,000 miles in six months from new with a ratio of 80% : 20% long/short journeys.

The first things I check on new cars and periodically thereafter is the accuracy of the mileometer and speedo. My mileometer overeads by 0.8 of 1% (not much I know but it builds up with the miles) and the speedo overreads by 2mph at 30mph and 4mph at 70 and 80 mph.

My overall consumption is 49.9 mpg with a low of 45.4 and a high of 54.5 - keeping to speed limits (more or less)

The 54.5mpg was achieved at a steady 65-70mph over 280 miles on a level motorway.

As we all know the GT TDi is a heavy car at 1451Kg. I sued to think that my mark 3 16V GTi was quite heavy at 1165kg but the difference between the two is equivalent to carrying four 12 stone passengers in the 16V!

Therefore, making full use of the performance - that massive torque equivalent to that of some high performance cars - or driving in hill country does obviously use a lot of Diesel to produce that oft quoted 320Nm /236lbft of torque. Switch the MFa display to instantaneous fuel consumption (not particularly relevant overall) and you see how the

reading plummets when you approach a gradient

Regards ot fellow TDiers

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Col, your figures seem amazing compared to mine and others.  If I cruise at 80mph on a motorway I will be getting low to mid 40's mpg. To get the average for a trip to end up at 50+ I need to be driving very sedately indeed, certainly well below 60mph as ecconomy is quickly lost once yu head towards 70mph+. Have you verified these amazing figures by working out how much fuel you are using brim to brim in comparison with the miles driven as it looks like you are getting nearly 600 miles between fill ups which is 100 miles better than I have ever got with very careful, (legal speed) driving. Just curious.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How many people leave the aircon on? I reckon I lose 3/4 mpg, esp. at higher speeds with it on, so other than hot days (yeah right!) I keep the green Econ light on, except when de-misting of course. Maybe it's a throw back to power sapping aircon from the 80s (I used to live in Australia), but I always switch it off when overtaking on A roads or when I want every ounce of power.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine is BKD

The BKD seems to be fitted to the 4 Motion & the GT TDI or what ever it's called, and has

ECU 03G906016FM PR
G0K+0GG

ECU 03G906016AQ PR
G0L+0GG

ECU 03G906016HJ PR G1A+0GG

and the

AZV has an ECU 03G90606FL PR G0K+0GG

or

ECU 03G90606HH PR G1A+0GG

Can someone from the dealer network find out/let us know what the PR numbers are?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts