Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Which DSLR????

3K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  ANDY_GTI_T 
New to DSLR, I purchased a 350d a year ago with the better quality EF-S IS USM 17-85 lens and have been so impressed with it. Hardly ever take a duff picture, yet am still only scratching the surface of its capabilities.

Will be getting the EF 70-300 IS USM lens for Christmas [:)]

I think real photo geeks will always prefer Nikon but the Canon is a very user friendly and well-priced package.

Just to throw a cat in.....

We're looking at buying another dslr to share between us and back up the 20D I already have.

I'm seriously thinking about a 2nd hand 10D. Nothing wrong with a 10D at all. I've seen incredible photos taken with them using L series lenses.

Anyway, they come up on Ebay for around ?375 including the battery grip. So ?375 plus say ?500 for a 17-40mm L.

At worst it'll need a service and new shutter costing less than ?170 sometime. Billy bargain.

T
Ah Tony would be interested for your expert knowledge. I took some pictures on Sunday with my 350d with 17-85 and 70-300 EF-S IS USM lenses here. We tried to fit my lenses onto my friend's 10D and they wouldn't go. Can you explain?

right lads, going out to buy the Canon 400D with the standard lens kit. I can get a Tamron 70-300 lense when i buy the camera for ?100. Is this a decent lens?? or should i save up and buy a canon one - if so then what one??

Cheers,

Andy
On your budget I don't think you can go far wrong. NikB has the Tamron zoom lens with his 350d and gets good results. I treated myself to the premium Canon IS USM lenses 17-85 and 70-300 but these are in the region of ?400 each so it's no fair comparison. You will still take great pictures with the budget lenses.

The good thing is you are buying a very good camera body - lenses can be upgraded at a later stage should you want to do so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.