Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, the gf is gonna get me a DSLR for Xmas but i cant decide what one i want.

Its between the Canon 400D, Nikon D70 and Sony A100.

The Canon seems to be well built but is slightly small for me to hold, the Sony is also well built and is just the right size and weight to hold comfortably and the Nikon is another that i am considering.

Any advice on whats best would be great guys.

Andy

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nikon - issues with the white balance

Sony - limited lenses

Canon - winner !

I have used canon for 15 years and Canon DSLR for the last 5 so im pretty biased , but i do know others with the Nikon who arnt to chuffed with the way it copes with the white balance .

Quality wise very little difference to choose from , maybe the Sony a little behind.

good luck

cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Canon 20D... absolutely brilliant. I have an 18-55mm f/2.8-5.6 canon lens and a sigma 22-70mm f/2.8 - works a treat. Looking to get a 70-300 soon.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Reviews I've seen of the Canon 400 put it behind the Nikon equivalent. Personally I'm a Canon fan and will eventually be spending more on their L series lenses but if you're just starting out you'll not go far wrong with either the EOS 400 or the Nikon.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
I'm biased towards anything Canon as I have EOS10D and EOS20D and can't fault them.Jessops are selling the EOS350D for under ?500 with a lens,I think an 18-55mm at the moment,which seems like a real bargain to me,didn't notice how much the 400D was though.Take your own memory card along,and take photos with both cameras,then print them out or what ever you want to do when you get home.You really need a whole day with each one,as there's no way you'll get a feel for them in five minutes or so stood just outside a camera shop.All the photos on my site below were taken with either of these cameras.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
New to DSLR, I purchased a 350d a year ago with the better quality EF-S IS USM 17-85 lens and have been so impressed with it. Hardly ever take a duff picture, yet am still only scratching the surface of its capabilities.

Will be getting the EF 70-300 IS USM lens for Christmas [:)]

I think real photo geeks will always prefer Nikon but the Canon is a very user friendly and well-priced package.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It changes all the time with every new release but? I would not stray away from the Canon or Nikon. That 400d is seriously good, Digital Photo gave it 5 red stars in ecah category first time I have ever seen that. It also has a dust cleaning mechanism which is invaluable
Only fly in the ointment is that standard lens that canon supply with it is VERY POOR, and people with big hands might find it too small
Nikon is well built and if you bash your kit about that is a factor. If you use Nikon DLSRS at high ISO they have horrible image noise compared with the Canon.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Canon IMO. I've gone from a 300D to a 20D and now also have a 1D Mk2 and have had no problems with any of them. I would definitly choose Nikon over the Sony, as the Sony has a had mixed reviews.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Seems most people are advising you to go with Canon. I am bias towards Nikon, i have had the D70s since July, and it's fantastic. If you decide to go for Nikon, get the D70S over the D70 (D70s is a slightly upgraded model). Two of my mates have the Canon 350d, and in MY opinion i find it feels to light, small and plasticy, and the 18-55 lens on it is not great - feels a bit cheap.

Something i really like about the nikon over canon is the two command dials on the camera. Nikon have one on the front and one on the back, perfectly positioned imho (used for adjusting most settings on the camera), on the 350D there is only 1, so you have to scroll through menues ect more.
The D70s also have a backlit LCD on TOP of the camera (very useful in the dark!), where as the 350d's in on the back of the camera, and is not back-lit.
D70S has a bigger screen (for viewing pics). Also, D70s kit lens (18-70mm) is a quality lens!

The 350D has a faster buffer (i think) so can take something like 5frames per second, whereas the Nikon can only do 3 (i think). Also the 350Ds lowest ISO is 100, D70s is 200 - meaning the 350d should have less noise - this you really cannot notice. 350D has more megapixels too, but this is only important for very large prints.

After all that i just realised you were looking at the 400d, not the 350d!! [:$] Still, they are very similar cameras anyway, really the nikon to compare with the 400d is the D80, not the D70(s).

Canon is an equally good brand, possibly the leading brand. You can not go wrong with either brands (canon or nikon), and at the end of the day you will be getting top quality results from either camera, its really up to you, which camera feels best, and the layout of buttons, sceens ect to fit your tastes!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Another vote for the 350D/400D here [:D] I have had mine since early this year and love it!

The D70s also have a backlit LCD on TOP of the camera (very useful in the dark!), where as the 350d's in on the back of the camera, and is not back-lit.
One slight correction - the 350D info display is back-lit with the pressing of a button [:)]

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
I actually prefer the LCD screen where it is on the 350D etc rather that where it is on top on the 10D and 20D etc,hybrid 20D/350D anyone?

Chris.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I'm a Nikon man myself. Personaly preference through the handling and layout of the Nikons over the Canons. The 350/400D is just far too small for my preference. Did come close to a 30D mind, but i cant see it being long before being outplaced by the 40D, and well, i already had a couple of Nikon lenses, and decided to go for a D80. Over the moon with it.

As for the 'white balance issue'.... well, its only there if you leave it on Auto, and only on Indescent lighting in the first place. Besides, if you shoot RAW, which is advisable in one of the newer bunch of DSLRs, white balance is tweakable afterwards. Personally, i set my white balance before shooting rather than leave it on Auto.

But, to be frank, theres little between the current crop of low-mid range DSLRs, its all down to your own preference. Just make sure you buy decent glass, because a good body is ruined by the cheap end of consumer lenses.

Heres one of the first images i took on my D80 last week. Shot in RAW and edited in Capture NX.

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I would 100% advise you look around this site.. There are some great reviews by a Pro-photographer (ken Rockwell) who buys all the major brands (primarily Nikon,Canon from his own pocket so reviews are unbiased ) and then runs direct comparisons between the major brands.. It will take a while to look around but it is well worth it ..

Jay

·
Registered
452 Posts
Superb picture Chris, well seen, great perspective.

I agree with that Chris has said on the white balance, its far better to s elect a specific white balance before shooting rather than relying on Auto to get it right. This is also true for camera modes, i dont even think i've used Auto on my D70s, all of these dSLRs offer so much control over shooting - you gotta use it to get results!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for all the advice. I am going to go into Jessops on Tuesday after iv done the rear beam bushes on the golf n washed her and have a play with the Nikon D70s, D80 and Canon 400D - thats the cameras its between now.

Thnaks again,

Andy

1 - 20 of 40 Posts