Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My company GTI Diesel Anni will be three years old in September and the fleet manager is chasing me to order a replacement.

Our cars are on the "Whitechapel" scheme where the company provide the car but it is a personal lease between me and dealer. This means I don't pay any company car tax but pay a figure to the company for personal use instead. I'm currently averaging ?35K miles per annum.

Short list and prices area as follows:

Audi TT 180bhp (Non quattro version) ?152 per month

Audi A4 2.0 TDI S Line ? 173 per month

Audi A3 2.0TDI S Line DSG 3 Door - ?172 per month

BMW 320D SE (new shape) ?147 per month

I have test drives booked in all four over next two weeks but although BMW is cheapest I'm unsure about styling. Love the TT shape but having never been in one I'm not sure they would be comfortable for 35K miles per annum.

Would appreciate any views you may have.

Cheers,

Steve.

PS. Am thinking of buying the Anni as a friend has expressed an interest. Any ideas what a silver 52 plate with 110K miles might go for in Sept.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess the TT is cheap because it's the bog standard version i.e front wheel drive, 16 inch wheels etc.

TT is very tempting but the mpg on the other three diesels is attractive as well.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would probably go for the beemer, depending on how it drives. Still not sure of the looks, probs the A4 after that.

TT no go because of the spec and fuel issue as you are doing 35k a year

Enjoy your testing [:D]

·
Registered
273 Posts
Audi A4 2.0 TDI S Line ? 173 per month

Audi A3 2.0TDI S Line DSG 3 Door - ?172 per month

I can't decide...

If you want a bigger car the A4 is a great option, but the DSG is a great looking car too.............

V Tough!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had the A3 on test from Friday until two hours ago and did a combination of motorway plus A and B road driving.

Very nicely finished car although not sure about the dashboard. I still prefer the finish on the MKIV. Not happy with the split second lag on the auto box before you start moving, I found it a little worrying. Paddle shift is ok but I hardly used it.

Definitiely noticed the drop in power to my Revo'd anni but I guess I could have the A3 chipped as well.

All in all I don't think it will be the A3. The BMW arrives Friday for the next test drive.

Can the BMW be chipped ?? I don't recall seeing any establishments the work on them [:(]

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm in a similar boat - although my co. car is on normal scheme so emissions become important, and I get my private fuel paid, so economy isn't!

I've got a restricted list of manufacturers, so some options are out, but that list does include VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Volvo, Saab, Toyota, and Land Rover. It is also supposed to have 4 or 5 doors. I currently run a 320d Sport Touring. I drive 50k miles per annum.

I'm currently torn between big and comfy (A6 2.0TDi S Line, new Passat 2.0 TDi Sport) or smaller and sportier (A4 2.0 Tdi S line Avant, 320d SE new shape, X type 2.0d Sport Estate). And then I'm tempted to go very small and sporty and get a Golf GTi with DSG, leather, 18s, satnav, centre armrest and parking sensors....

Difficult decisions that I might regret day in day out for the next 2 years.....

Ian

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 180bhp TT is available in front wheel drive and quattro. Unfortunately I only have the option of the former. Have now decided against it anyway due to MPG and it really isn't practical for work purposes.

Was swaying towards the BMW until tonight when an A4 TDI S Line pulled alongside me. It really did look the business so will test drive it after the BMW and decide from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Superchips can do it as it is the same engine as that in the 320d.

Had the 320d last weekend, great car to drive, very smooth and quiet but dashboard not as nice as old 3 series. Overall very impressed so A4 and TT will have to go some to beat it. Shame I can't have the full leather or 18" wheels that were on the demo car. [:(]

I can have the Celica T Sport for ?112 per month. Anybody driven one or have any views ??

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I haven't driven the E90 yet, but having tried a couple of different A4s I would go with the BMW - the improved engine is by all accounts a peach and the RWD chassis is far more fun. Also on long runs I do find the BMW seats a little more comfortable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
But have you seen the E90 on std 16s, no metallic and cloth - not exactly brimming with the wow factor, and I do like my car to make me feel special (when you walk out to it at 6am on a wet winters morning with 90 mile commute in front of you, it does help...)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.