Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've shortlisted two sets, which fit the criteria of being comfortable with the option to go low.

FK Sliverline X 35-55mm
KW Variant 2 or 3 (both inox line) 35-65mm

Both offer stainless steel struts and the KW V3's are compression and rebound adjustable (maybe a bit of overkill for what I want). The FK's are just Konigsports with stainless steel bodies.

Anyone running any of these care to comment these?

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
The FK's are just Konigsports with stainless steel bodies.
Mark, aren't the silverline editions available in both Konigsports AND the Highsports?? [*-)]
I think so. I can't decide between highsports, konigs or the silverline versions. Is there a silverline version as the others are knows for rusting or something ? Also, how soft are the highsports compared to the konigs on their softest setting ? Does anyone know ? just can't decide if it's worth spending the extra ?120 on the konigs.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark, aren't the silverline editions available in both Konigsports AND the Highsports?? [*-)]
Yes they are, sorry should have made that clearer in the post. Silverlines are Highsports whereas sliverline X's are Konigsports.

At the moment the KW's are top of the list as they seem to go 10mm lower all round than the FK's - both are a similar price though.

Tom - keep us posted on the GB [Y]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think so. I can't decide between highsports, konigs or the silverline versions. Is there a silverline version as the others are knows for rusting or something ? Also, how soft are the highsports compared to the konigs on their softest setting ? Does anyone know ? just can't decide if it's worth spending the extra ?120 on the konigs.
One of the lads who turned up to Billing (daniel with the sliver Anni) has highsports, the ride was very bouncy due to it being low. He had them checked out last week and found out the shocks were leaking... not good!

Sure its just a one-off mind, but having had Konigsports on my R I know which I would choose [;)]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
One of the lads who turned up to Billing (daniel with the sliver Anni) has highsports, the ride was very bouncy due to it being low. He had them checked out last week and found out the shocks were leaking... not good!

Sure its just a one-off mind, but having had Konigsports on my R I know which I would choose [;)]
Eeeep.. That's not good ! I can get the highsports for ?469 and then spend another ?160 on install or get the konigs for ?629 and get free install at big boys toys.. makes sense to get the konigs really.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Mark, one of my Highsports (front passenger side)was leaking when I sold my VR, after just 9 months use. I do fancy some more for the mk4 but do not want any leakage whatsoever! Konigsports are a bit out of price range tbh for me

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Thats a damn good price from BBT [Y] Go for it.

Shame they're so far from me, would certainly be using them at those kinds of prices.
I prob will. Why not come down to a london meet sometime ? or you could combine it with a weekend down south, or visit friends etc or at a show or bring the gf down to london town for a weekend away and at the same time get ya coils done ! makes sense to me anyway.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I have Kw V2 and am more than happy with them.Coupled with Eibach arbs
the ride is very smooth and comfortable yet firm when taking corners

Would definately recommend them.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Shame they're so far from me, would certainly be using them at those kinds of prices.
I prob will. Why not come down to a london meet sometime ? or you could combine it with a weekend down south, or visit friends etc or at a show or bring the gf down to london town for a weekend away and at the same time get ya coils done ! makes sense to me anyway.
Could do I suppose. I am trying to keep the miles down though, done 2k in a month with all those damn shows!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Didnt realise you wanted to change your coilovers. I wouldnt recommend the FK's just personal preference because of what happened. Have you thought about the Koni setup in which awesome are selling. Anyone on here tried them.

Just checked out the webpage for KW, they're certainly not cheap :)..

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have had my Variant 2's for a while now and I must say I am happy. They go low enough to satisfy all and are not to harsh with it. (Although raising them up a bit does improve the handling, along with the comfort levels, but its a sacrifice your gonna have to make with any coilovers to go low).

You also get the option of running S3/ R32 anti roll bar if you want with the mounting points provided.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have had my Variant 2's for a while now and I must say I am happy. They go low enough to satisfy all and are not to harsh with it. (Although raising them up a bit does improve the handling, along with the comfort levels, but its a sacrifice your gonna have to make with any coilovers to go low).

You also get the option of running S3/ R32 anti roll bar if you want with the mounting points provided.
Tabs

I would also choose KW Variant 2's.... I would not personally touch anything made by FK Auto..

I have bought a few things from them and every time, I've sent it all back due to poor quality and fit.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Got to say the same about the FK's as everyone else, I have the same
kit as you had on the R whilst they ride great and the car and the car
handles great, the quality just isnt up there, I know the stainless
wont rot like the standard stuff, but its not just that its the little
things like the droplinks supplied with them are much smaller and
lighter then the OEM vw ones, and hence the rubbers rip on them very
easily, they need to be majorly tightened up on the roll bar, as VW
ones have a 19mm nut and apropriate hole, the FKs have a 16mm nut going
into a 19mm hole so you have to tighten them massively, plus the front
springs are definetly not as progressive as the rears could be.

I know you ruled it once before, but surely it must be worth considering air ride if its going to be a pure weekend motor.

If I was you I would look at the Koni kit that awesome offers and see
if they do it in stainless, evilhomer had that setup on his 4motion, I
think he rated it, i know he was much lower than me and his ride was
much more compliant.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts

Multimap says liverpool to thurrock is 235 miles. I did that to get to JBS in April.... [:D][;)] so it's not a huge distance, though it is a weekend away type distance, imo.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I would only consider the KW V1/2/3's

I have not heard one bad opinion on them and have done a fair bit of research on various VW forums, as I was thinking of getting some myself. Yes FK's are cheaper, and having had Konig's on the .:R, you know roughly what the Silverline X's will be like in terms of ride quality, but i have heard the quality of materials and manufacture does not compare between the two.

S/steel is definately the right choice IMO. If your going to have the car for a while, you don't want corrosion.

BBT do the V1's for ?699, V2's for ?799, both incl. of free fitting (as confirmed here http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/283575/ShowPost.aspx). I know its a long way, and it depends on whether you have a trusty/reasonably priced fitting place locally.

IMO V3's would be overkill on a road car, but each to their own.

Caged also has V2's on his car, which is quite low and is happy with them (although they are pre inox versions). As said you also have the option of using the cheaper .:R arb, as it fits on the strut mounts.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Had my V2's on for over 2 years and not had a single problem with them, not sure if they are inox-line ones though.

I'm sure I paid about ?720 delivered, i'll dig out the invoice tonight and find out where I got em from!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info Marc [Y] It's looking like the KW's are top of the list, although they are quite exepnsive compared to others. But I guess you get what you pay for!

@Tylerama - 500 mile round trip, too many miles for me I'm afraid [:(] Plus the cost of fuel would add another ?100 on the price.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts