1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its upgrade time, Im on Orange, wondering what I should get! I have an
SPV 500 and I love it, though I think I only use about 30% of it -
calls, internet and texts. I've narrowed it down to the following,
which one should I go for? Anyone have recommendations and reviews?
Cheers

Nokia 6280 (not available as an upgrade but if I threaten cancellation, could I get one? Its free to new customers!)

Posted Image

Nokia N70 (A bit bulky maybe?)

Posted Image

SPV C600 (not available as an upgrade but if I threaten cancellation, could I get one? Its free to new customers!)

Posted Image

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
The n70 is a nice piece of kit has 2mega pixel camera and a all round
good phone, but can be a bit slow in the menu browsing sometimes.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I personally think the new SPV is the way to go, especially since you're used to it and it is prob the most compact of the lot, also it def has the best display compared to the other two handsets.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
the N70 is abt 108 mm x 53 mm x 20-ish mm and is simple to use. Must admit that the camera is OK rather than excellent and mine is a bit slow at times, loading things I mean

·
Registered
798 Posts
available as an upgrade but if I threaten cancellation
They just gave me my pac code weren't interested in giving me decent upgrade phone for less than 150 sovs , didn't even try to persuade me to stay, maybe because i'm on a low cost < ?20 a month tariff, I guess loyalty counts for nothing over 8 years with orange..

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They just gave me my pac code weren't interested in giving me decent upgrade phone
Same problem here; it worked for me last time, but this time I called
and was told they don't offer the C600 as an upgrade yet, only new
customers. So much for 'relationship gets better with time'! Only
problem is I like Orange as a service...just a shame about the lack of
handsets - as always. Im on a ?40 tarrif and the good ones are still pricy.

Quite like the look of the Nokia N80 now, might wait for its release

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
you never thought about moving to another provider, one that values your custom?  Oranges service isn't what it used to be, they don't have the edge they used to have.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
you never thought about moving to another provider, one that values your custom? Oranges service isn't what it used to be, they don't have the edge they used to have.
Bang on. They are not even close to the edge either. I have been with Orange for years too, and I am a grade 4 user (5 is highest). It will be interesting to see what they offer me as an incentive to stay when I tell them I'm leaving at the end of Jan when my current contract runs out.....

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Which network are you guys moving to?
Am now with O2, moved to them over a year ago and haven't had any problems, they've always been great to deal with over the phone. When I renewed my contract with them I said I was considering another network and they doubled up my minutes and texts and took a ?5 off the monthly bill without much of an argument, very plesant to deal with over the phone and the service is very good.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Mike, same dilemma as well for me at the moment and as you recall, I have the C500 too on Orange. I was hoping they would bring out the HTC Wizard on the network but they dont look like they will now. T Mobile has it as the MDA Vario and o2 has it as the XDA Mini S. But knowing Orange's upgrade prices, it would have been costly even if they did have it. I'm seriosuly thinking of going to o2, but hell will I miss Orange Wednesday!

Mike, just an idea IF you want to stay with Orange. Can't you transfer your number to a Virgin, Tesco, easyMobile etc to a PAYG and then (this is the magic bit), as there is no minimal period you have to be with the PAYG service, port it back over to Orange as a new customer? New free phone and same number :)

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike, just an idea IF you want to stay with
Orange. Can't you transfer your number to a Virgin, Tesco, easyMobile
etc to a PAYG and then (this is the magic bit), as there is no minimal
period you have to be with the PAYG service, port it back over to
Orange as a new customer? New free phone and same number :)
Great minds think alike! [:)]

I did something similar last year; ported to Vodaphone, realised I was
insane, cancelled, and ported back to a new Orange contract. Never
thought of doing it with a PAYG. I have a whole bunch of Tesco mobile
SIMS lying around in my office!

But now you have shown me the XDA Mini S, it is kinda cool...

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
02 would get my business I think. The only thing that stops me every time is that my mum, g/f are on Orange PAYG and most of my friends are on the Orange network too. The networks know this and do not reduce cross network charges which keeps some loyalty. It is annoying! 

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm torn now, apparently loads of you are getting the C600 free as an
upgrade so I will try calling them again. But it seems daft replacing
my phone for something so similar, I fancied a change but nothing seems
to be as good. The N70 etc feels a bit wide, and their slidy ones feel
a bit plasticky. And of course the C600 is Orange only

·
Registered
794 Posts
Got the C600 today and its very nice

Screen is amazing and it feels nicely built. An upgrade from the C500 for sure. The C550 was IMHO and the wait has been worth it.

I would go back to the Nokia based phones but currently there feature rich phones have been brick like

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Got the N70 today, not used it too much yet but it seems ok.  It is a bit big, but on the plus side it has a decent'ish camera.  I have not yet found out how to put on automatic key guard though. 

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Got the N70 today, not used it too much yet but
it seems ok. It is a bit big, but on the plus side it has a
decent'ish camera. I have not yet found out how to put on
automatic key guard though.
You cant! Dont think any Nokias do

·
Registered
794 Posts
iwilliams, is the C600 worth upgrading to from the C500 then?
I say YES.

I want a phone to be able to make calls and txt quickly , get into the txt menu and send or reply quickly. I felt the C500 did this well and had good battery life and was a nice size.

The C550 which my mate sat next to me in the office has wasnt a worth while upgrade. The screen res wasnt enough for me to want one.

The C600 has the screen , the nice feel of the C500. It fits the hand better than the C500, it isnt any different in size which is great because the C550 was alittle bigger and in the hand you could feel it.

We have be given O2 xdaII smart phones at work ( basically a C500 from O2 ) and the joystick is nasty. I didnt know how I would feel about the C600 joystick but its much cleaner. They have made it smaller and almost flush with the keypad, so has a better feel than the O2.

The mobile 5 has icons instead of lists and the phone settings look like its all in one menu now.

I have upgraded the TomTom mobile to 5.2 and works fine and also paired it to my nokia car kit ( bluetooth ) no problems.

The keypad is white lit now and not blue which became alittle blurred sometimes.

Basically the phone feels really nice, it feels much better than the C500, better built, a real upgrade not just a patched C500

Your like it....if you liked the C500 Iam sure of that

1 - 20 of 36 Posts