3) BMW 330Ci (2003)

4) Impreza WRX Blobeye (2003/2004)

5) Megane 225 (2003/2004)

Which one would you have and why?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Leon or the Beemer.

Both are, in my eyes a better place to be in. I.e. interior. Civic typeR is fast, but the interior, again in my eyes let's it down, with nothing really in there, typical jap car. Scooby, same jap inside and as I have said before, your just a sitting duck ready to be raced at every second. Megane, nasty (again personal).

I think I would go for the leon cupra, making sure I got one with leather and in yellow!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would go for the beemer... Im biased because i will probably get a 320 ci next.

Reasons to get it... Great car and the best looking beemer ever made in my opinion, good spec on the 330 and also great build quality.

Excellent prices now the new model has come out. Go for it...

Also it doesnt scream im a boy racer but it would still eat most cars and is a great comfy cruiser at the same time.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I would have the Beemer, everytime out of that lot: Reliability, Image, Performance, Quality, Re-sale, Rear wheel drive...

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Most of the cars below are booking at around £10-£12k with the exception of the BMW which starts at £15k. I would choose the Impreza first, then the Leon, then the Megane, then the Civic and the BMW last.

1) Subaru - Why? It is 4x4, in my opinion nice to look at, sounds ace with the correct exhaust, fast, reliable and tunable.

2) Leon - Why? It is leaner meaner and faster than the car I have now, and I am pleased with what I have now.

3) Megane - Why? The turbo power plant, available in 5 door form and they are quite rare.

4) Civic - Why? Great car, but it is 3 door only and I need 5 door for my work. Also because you need to spend thousands to get a noticable performance gain by way of a supercharger.

5) BMW - Why? £ for £ you would not be getting a 2003 330Ci for the same price as the cars above. You would be comparing a 320Ci. If however the 330Ci was worth the same, it would still be last for me. A 330i Sport saloon would be 4th on my list if the choice was 330i Sport Saloon rather than a 330Ci and it was worth the same. BMW's don't do much for me. You are paying for the badge.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Do I even have to answer this question? [:)]

Subaru - if you want to go quick, ideal. However I consider it a Playstation car, I would want more from a car day to day

Renault: NASTY. Seriously ugly, french with all that implies, and just a Megane with a powerful engine. Not my cup of tea

Leon: Nice looking car in Cupra form, quick, proven engine, VAG build quality. Nice

Civic: Nice car and damn quick, Honda power plants are fantastic, interior not bad...

But for me, the 330...its just in a completely different league. Interior quality, build, driving dynamics and refinement are on another level all together. It just feels so right.

However for £12-15k you will be looking at a 4-5 year old car 330 vs a 1-2 year old Leon, and thats something worth considering. Mind you I know which I would rather have in a heart beat - for me the 330 is nigh on perfect in every area, I loved it. On a side note if you can drive a Megane and a 330 back to back and say the former is a better car, I would love to buy some pot from you.

What about an A3 or A4?

·
Registered
90 Posts
i would probabaly say the 330, but it does seem in a different league to the other cars - if the BM was not there then the Subaru for me

- mainly due to the sound and performance

Pan

·
Registered
832 Posts
How can you be considering a Megane?! LOL.

Seriously any of the other cars mate, it all boils down to personal preference, but not a Megane, please!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
What is wrong with the Megane?

To be honest, it is not the best looking car in the world, but its looks have grown on most people I know and the bodykit and wheels look good on the 225. It is one of the safest cars on the road and French build quality has improved over the years.

Never driven one, but going on how good the Clio Williams, 172, 182 and 197 was/is, this cant be that bad a car and with the minor mods on top of the early models, it seems to be a reasonable car according to the magazines.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1) Civic type R (2003/2004)

2) Leon Cupra R (2003/2004)

3) BMW 330Ci (2003)

4) Impreza WRX Blobeye (2003/2004)

5) Megane 225 (2003/2004)

Which one would you have and why?
Each one for me has + and - points

Civic type r is quick and handles well...... no torque and cost a fortune to get any more bhp

Leon cupra r is fast and you can remap it...... but dull engine and not the best handling

Bmw 330ci looks, drives and sounds great.... for 12k youd be looking at a high miler

Impreza wrx, 4x4, great handling can easily be remapped..... but you more likely to be car jacked or have it stolen

Megane is quick, handles better than the leon and is cheaper for the age of car and can be remapped.... but it will no doubt drop to bits after 40'000 miles and be worth nothing after 2 years of ownership.

would be good if there was a car with al the plus points above but none of the negatives...

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
What is wrong with the Megane?
Experience and taste tells me to give the 225 a wide birth. Its probably a good car, its probably a nice drive, its quick on paper, and the one you would buy will probably be 100% reliable. I even think its looks good, in a querky sporty sort of way. But Renault reliability is seriously questionable, they always score poor on customer satisfaction feedback, and Renault simply produce too many Friday afternoon cars to be serious consideration for me. Couple that with crap customer support (i've worked for a Reno dealer...) and they are out of a shout. Renault have and do build very good drivers and sporty cars, but its in history that most of them havent been the most notorious cars for reliability...5 GT Turbo - Whizz bang. Clio Williams - Tempremental and fickle lump. Clio 172/182 - Know far too many people who have bad things to say about ownership prospects. Why would the 225 be any different?

For me, I wouldnt touch one with a manufacturers warranty, let alone outside of warranty. Too much to go wrong, and it does. Not the thinking mans choice by a long shot, compared to the competition that is out there...

For the money, I'd go with an Astra VXR or even the new Focus ST.

And on top of all that, am I the only one who thinks they have shameless cashed in on F1 success to advertise cars as better and more advanced than they actually are?

Just my 2p.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
How can you be considering a Megane?! LOL.

Seriously any of the other cars mate, it all boils down to personal preference, but not a Megane, please!
Rated quite highly by Evo, though this is the Trophy version http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/67652/renault_mgane_trophy.html

Looks are definitely contentious, quite striking though IMO. On the very rare occasion I've seen one I've thought they've looked quite cool, despite thinking the standard Megane looks silly (go figure that one out!), rarity would put it the top of my list out of those cars.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
EVO have been running a long term Megane 225 in there fast fleet and have reported no problems and thats with track work and road driving plus driven by hacks and still seems ok, better than the Aston V8 Vantage.

Dont like modern BM's so wont even bother

Leon - ok if you think the megane's ugly and this isnt you need glasses, look like a slug on wheels.

Scoob - bug eye looks terrible but apart from that they are sound if not the greatest hadnling out of the box in standard form it was not until late 04 that they ironed out a few of the early poor handling and feedback issues.

Civic - ok good seats and gearchange engine, brakes are not great engine can be tuned but only modest gains say 5-10bhp form CAI and exhasut and chip but I cant stand the way they look or feel inside feels like a people carrier from the inside and out.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Oh, and my opinion is you shouldnt take what a car mag/press say as gospel, even an excellent mag like Evo.

The car is brand new and is tended to whenever it needs anything. Experience tells me this car will probably be a bloody liability for the future owner(s), when it is well out of Evos hands...

Yes, it probably is a fantastic car, but Renault have still failed to convince their sceptics that they can produce good 'long term' cars. For example, how many Reno 5 turbos do you see about now compared to mk2 Golf GTis...And how many Renaults are continually backwards and forwards to the dealer with electrical related problems...Trust me, I have dealt with the customers...

Also, the customer surveys do not lie. For every happy customer, there is an unhappy one...

For me, there are better allround cars for the money. A Maserati is rare, would you buy one over the competition?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts