Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to bulbs, there's a lot of talk about 4000k, 8000k, etc etc, but what does it all REALLY mean? Is it how bright the bulb is? [:|]

Do any bulbs give the "xenon" effect with the blue/white/purple tinges? I'll be after some new bulbs soon and was wondering what are a good buy and which one's are best staying away from! [:$]

What are you currently using and are they any good or did they blow within a week? [;)]

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I had some Phillips Vison plus bulbs in my last car (Vauxhall Calibra) which had really bad lights as standard and they worked well alot brighter.

They were 50% brighter than standard. Well what the packet said anyways!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I've got a mix of Philips and Osram - Silver Stars and Vision Plus I think - the thing to remember is the blue ones actually cut down light output and are cr*p - the 100w one's won't work properly unless you've uprated the relays to provide the full 100w (the std is 55w, so the extra power just puts strain elsewhere and it never produces the right output).

There are Xenon kits which transform the output, I don't know enough about those and there's always a swop to OEM Xenons....

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know enough about those and there's always a swop to OEM Xenons....
I would Rick believe me, if it weren't for that SLIGHT difference in price! [;)]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
LOL yes - I got the mains and dip from eBay (hence the mix) and the sidelight bulbs from shaq (compliments the others beautifully!) all for less than a Xenon bulb.....[;)]

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just to let you know K stands for Kelvin, which is a temperature that can relate to colours when being used in relation to lamps HTH

for a nice little chart :- http://www.mediacollege.com/lighting/colour/colour-temperature.html
And a bit of speall! :-

COLOUR TEMPERATURE (Kelvin)
A hot object radiates a specific range of wavelengths that appear as a particular colour depending on the object's temperature. The temperature is expressed in Kelvin (K), the scientific temperature unit. Degrees Celsius can be easily converted to Kelvin by adding 273.

The Kelvin temperature equivalent is used to describe the lamp's colour. Lamps generally vary from about 2500K, which is quite yellow through to 7000K, which is considerably bluish. The temperature of balanced white is about 5500K

·
Registered
379 Posts
after reading a few posts around here, i decided to upgrade my H7 bulbs because they werent that impressive and i do a lot of night driving. I went for the Osram Silver Star ones that say they have 50% more light at a particular distance or something. Well i fitted them the other day and to be frankly honest, im not really sure they were worth the ?15 premium. They are marginally better, and perhaps slightly more 'white' but its really hard to see. Im looking for some real good lights that pave the road ahead so i can see where im going. Anyone like to recommend anything else?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but I took them out, didn't want to stress the car out !
What do you mean by that, you mean you didnt want to strain the electrics? [:$]

Also, i think this thread would produce a better guide if people used pics of their lights at night so i can see the comparison! [;)]

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
after reading a few posts around here, i decided
to upgrade my H7 bulbs because they werent that impressive and i do a
lot of night driving. I went for the Osram Silver Star ones that say
they have 50% more light at a particular distance or something. Well i
fitted them the other day and to be frankly honest, im not really sure
they were worth the ?15 premium. They are marginally better, and
perhaps slightly more 'white' but its really hard to see. Im looking
for some real good lights that pave the road ahead so i can see where
im going. Anyone like to recommend anything else?
Dude if u wanna 'Pave the road' with light, then u'll have to look at
getting proper Xenons. Retro fitting kits start off around
?200 on ebay, sometimes less.

Fitting uprated H7bulbs just won't compare

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
after reading a few posts around here, i decided to upgrade my H7 bulbs because they werent that impressive and i do a lot of night driving. I went for the Osram Silver Star ones that say they have 50% more light at a particular distance or something. Well i fitted them the other day and to be frankly honest, im not really sure they were worth the ?15 premium.
Ah, you didn't check my car boot sale at the Bluewater meet. I had a mint pair of H7 Silver Stars in original box for ?15. Less than 2,000 miles on them. I was happy with them, only took them out to upgrade to PIAA bulbs for a whiter light. Gti Fly is right, you won't get huge differences with H7 upgrades, unless you go with illegal off-road spec bulbs which will strain your electrics with their higher wattage. OEM xenons are the way to go if you want much better lighting.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
but I took them out, didn't want to stress the car out !
What do you mean by that, you mean you didnt want to strain the electrics? [:$]

Also, i think this thread would produce a better guide if people used pics of their lights at night so i can see the comparison! [;)]
As Richard already mentioned, this would not really be a valid comparison. Each person would have different lighting conditions and camera settings, you really have to test all bulbs under the same conditions (ideally the same car in the same position) and using the same camera settings (shutter, aperture, white balance, physical position). Here's one I prepared earlier.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, no flashes, but they were very bright, [:O] just felt it best to take them out, just in case!
Has there actually been any evidence though that such a high watt bulb DOES infact damage the car's electrical systems? Or were you just being on the safe side?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts