Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, wanting ideas, suggestions, educated opinions and experiences on big turbos as I am still considering it for 2007 if I dont change car instead.

There are several options open to me as I see for running with standard internals;

1) K04 Hybrid - Pro's - Easiest and cheapest to fit. No injectors, downpipes, lines to change. Cons - Smallest power gain. Max with polished/uprated manifolds approx 280bhp.

2) GT2X - Pro's - Similar fitted price to K04 hyrbid. Better flow and spread of power to K04 Hybrid. Cons - Additional costs required to make similar power levels to K04 Hybrid. Injectors and boost controller costs approx £800 fitted.

3) K04-023 Turbo - Pro's - OEM based modified turbo. Power around 300-310bhp. Cons - Only available from US, Not proven or commonly used.

4) GT28 - Pro's - Big power possible (320bhp) and potential for more if internal upgrade carried out and small mod to turbo. Cons - Expensive and fiddly to fit, running close to suggested limit of internals.

5) IHI Vf24/34 - Big power possible (320bhp). Cons - More expensive than GT28 and still running close to limits of internals.

Out of interest, is there a recommended place to have internals upgraded and how much would this cost? Is it just the rods and pistons which are the two weak points or are there others?

Thoughts/Opinions?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
3) K04-023 Turbo - Pro's - OEM based modified turbo. Power around 300-310bhp. Cons - Only available from US, Not proven or commonly used.
Hi Mate,

The K04-023 is the K04 which is commonly found on the Audi 210/225 engines, so is quite readily available, infact I have one lying around! Too be honest its probabally too much hassle to fit it to a 150/180 engine for the gains, it is posible though. You would need a new downpipe fabricated at the exhaust outlet exits from the side on the 023 as opposed to straight down on the K03's etc. Here is a photo of a K04-023 fitted to a 180 engine, note how close the downpipe will be to the charge pipe once its fabricated:

Posted Image

Also if you're looking at doing the internals + a big turbo then expect a cost of > £4K.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
iv been thinkingall this mate for the last few months and decided to go for the IHI as your gona get peek power and as you say you can upgrade internals after the bank credit has caught up lol.and i think if i had the ko# id want more power after...but it is alot of money 3K just for turbo upgrade...

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mate,

The K04-023 is the K04 which is commonly found on the Audi 210/225 engines, so is quite readily available, infact I have one lying around! Too be honest its probabally too much hassle to fit it to a 150/180 engine for the gains, it is posible though. You would need a new downpipe fabricated at the exhaust outlet exits from the side on the 023 as opposed to straight down on the K03's etc. Here is a photo of a K04-023 fitted to a 180 engine, note how close the downpipe will be to the charge pipe once its fabricated:

Posted Image

Also if you're looking at doing the internals + a big turbo then expect a cost of > £4K.
Hi Cameron,

You changed your mobile number recently? Not been able to get through on the one I have.

The turbo I was looking at was a modified K04-023 with added options of Port/Polishing and thermal coating. However the offer I saw was £840 approx including shipping fees and ''maybe'' import tax on top of that.

The turbo is designed to flow around 1.8bar with 1.4 at redlin (mine is 1.0 at red line) but between 305-310bhp is likely when all done.

With the extra work and cost, think I am gonna avoid that option after further investigation.

You decided if you are going with a big turbo or are you still thinking about an M3?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hi Cameron,

You changed your mobile number recently? Not been able to get through on the one I have.

The turbo I was looking at was a modified K04-023 with added options of Port/Polishing and thermal coating. However the offer I saw was £840 approx including shipping fees and ''maybe'' import tax on top of that.

The turbo is designed to flow around 1.8bar with 1.4 at redlin (mine is 1.0 at red line) but between 305-310bhp is likely when all done.

With the extra work and cost, think I am gonna avoid that option after further investigation.

You decided if you are going with a big turbo or are you still thinking about an M3?
Hi Allen,

Yeah appologies I have just changed my mobile number, haven't got round to letting everyone know yet, I will send you it. Think I'm going to keep the car now mate so looking at a big turbo again, but prob at the start of next year.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats good. Think you would be mad to sell that car after all that you have done to it. It is still about the nicest mk4 Golf I know of certainly!

That would be my plan of attack with regard to the timing of the big turbo. However I have thought about a change of car myself.

What ideas have you got at the moment with regard to turbos? Still thinking IHI and JBS?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
1) K04 Hybrid - Pro's - Easiest and cheapest to fit. No injectors, downpipes, lines to change. Cons - Smallest power gain. Max with polished/uprated manifolds approx 280bhp.

i think 280 is a bit optimistic and is it worth an extra 40bhp?

2) GT2X - Pro's - Similar fitted price to K04 hyrbid. Better flow and spread of power to K04 Hybrid. Cons - Additional costs required to make similar power levels to K04 Hybrid. Injectors and boost controller costs approx £800 fitted.

this will make a fair bit more power than a hybrid k03s and flow better.

way to much hassel with the DP issue etc

4) GT28 - Pro's - Big power possible (320bhp) and potential for more if internal upgrade carried out and small mod to turbo. Cons - Expensive and fiddly to fit, running close to suggested limit of internals.

not really that fiddly, if you can fit a turbokit, then you will be able to do the mods to fit this kit. this is cheaper by far than IHI if you fit yourself and get parts from the USA

5) IHI Vf24/34 - Big power possible (320bhp). Cons - More expensive than GT28 and still running close to limits of internals.

great well proven kit, strong and every day reliablity! if this costed the same as my gt28 setup i would have went this way. as i saved way over £1000 i went for the GT28 option.

Out of interest, is there a recommended place to have internals upgraded and how much would this cost? Is it just the rods and pistons which are the two weak points or are there others?

personally i think the internals should be ok for a long time 'touch wood'. internals will prob cost over 2000k fitted depending on what you have done, and even 3000 or more, but really depends what you have done inside.

my plan is to run my car until the engine goes bang (if it does). if it comes to it as i have aa cover i would get the car toed home, share a car for a few weeks as a run around, buy a 2nd hand engine. buy all the internals and fit them with the engine in the garage and ill prob send the mid section out to get bored to 2ltr while im at it. then either swap the engine myself or give it to a mechanic to swap. this will save wads.
i think you should stop thinking about what to do etc, just get your money together and go for the gt2x or gt28 option, place the order from the us then get cracking on installing when they arrive to the UK. [y]

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Thats good. Think you would be mad to sell
that car after all that you have done to it. It is still about the
nicest mk4 Golf I know of certainly!

That would be my plan of attack with regard to the timing of the big turbo. However I have thought about a change of car myself.

What ideas have you got at the moment with regard to turbos? Still thinking IHI and JBS?
Cheers mate. I'm still not 100% sure on who I'll use Re. mapping, but if I do go for a big turbo it will def be an IHI.

·
Registered
626 Posts
As far as internals go i have been running an IHI set up at around 340/350 hp for 10k miles now and never had any issues with the AGU engine. But saying that i will be getting the rods and pistons done before next summer as it can make a hell of a mess if something does decide to go.

Phil

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
As far as internals go i have been running an IHI set up at around 340/350 hp for 10k miles now and never had any issues with the AGU engine. But saying that i will be getting the rods and pistons done before next summer as it can make a hell of a mess if something does decide to go.

Phil
Thats good to know mate, AGU engine's do have stronger internals than the other 150/180 engines though, which is good as mine is an AGU also!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Interesting read. I too have been considering bigger turbo hence my thread.

I too am lilited by budget. For reliability on track knowing what I know investing on internals is the sensible option. I have a very small budget through my own choice but I will hope the new turbo from Awesome and APR will produce a nice reliable gain which is simple enough to bolt on and use original oil and water lines.

The moderate power increase should keep it reliable for track use...I for one could not sustain expensive engine breakages.

I believe this new turbo has a much stronger spec and be reliable as a K03.

Shame about the IHI as ultimately I would have chosen this with uprated internals.

Ian

·
Registered
436 Posts
What new turbo from Awesome and APR? another K04/3 job?
TBA from Awesome....nothing radicall but it should bridge the 240-280 gap as a much cheaper option than the other kits presently available.

Ian

·
Registered
364 Posts
Has anyone tried EIP Tuning's big turbo kits? "Westec performance" and "The Phirm" are listed as uk dealers but i've not heard of anyone running them?? Big power clutch applications as well but nobody mentions them either???

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread but can anyone tell me what manufacturer the manifold fitted above is, I am trying to find a K04 manifold as an inprovement over the standard TT one and drawing a blank so far other than the JBS one

1 - 19 of 19 Posts