Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Can anyone advice on a turbo kit for my 1.8 T (AUM). I've been looking on the ATP website for a while at there "Eliminator Turbo" which uses the standard manifold. The complete kit i.e new Turbo,all fittings,FPR,injectors etc seems a reasonable price.I'm thinking of somewhere around 300BHP. There are a few companies that can supply a GT 28 RS turbo but where's the best place to get the rest of the kit and if i fit it myself can i drive the car safely to get it remapped?

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hi Guys,

Can anyone advice on a turbo kit for my 1.8 T (AUM). I've been looking on the ATP website for a while at there "Eliminator Turbo" which uses the standard manifold. The complete kit i.e new Turbo,all fittings,FPR,injectors etc seems a reasonable price.I'm thinking of somewhere around 300BHP. There are a few companies that can supply a GT 28 RS turbo but where's the best place to get the rest of the kit and if i fit it myself can i drive the car safely to get it remapped?

Cheers

Lee
Is it definately available for RHD cars?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Bill,

I never asked whether it did fit RHD cars when i emailed them a while ago. Will the standard clutch handle the extra power, and will it be easier to let someone else do the fitting for me? I can't find the prices jabbasport quoted for the various conversions either.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not sure why you would want to get anything from America? Other than the exchange rate in our favour. I think we have better tuning options here for 1.8T's.. Especially as far as mapping is concerned.
Plus some KO4 hybrids are starting to show up here which look good.
Plus no worries about RHD fitment when getting stuff here in the UK.

As for the clutch.. I guess it depends on how much, and what kind of usage it has had already. They can handle quite a lot it seems, if its healthy.. 300bhp or more, although its torque that tortures them, not bhp.
Its more down to how long its going to last, once you tune it..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
"Not sure why you would want to get anything from America?"

Hmmm I dunno the Yanks seem alot more adventurous than us from reading the US forums... some of them are also now breaking the 500 WHEEL HP! not Crank! and sub 11 quarters to.... have a look on Justin Welty's site... 18turbo.com

·
Registered
680 Posts
100%?

pictures on website show different manifolds, but longtitudenal and transverse applications.

Why would you want to run a GT28 on a std manifold.... choked up ports in the std manifold. They offer a bigger port manifold now, but why do that and use a GT28 when there is a GT manifold already?

Any actual results seen for these yet?

interested to see how they fair.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

Hmmm I dunno the Yanks seem alot more adventurous than us from reading the US forums... some of them are also now breaking the 500 WHEEL HP! not Crank! and sub 11 quarters to.... have a look on Justin Welty's site... 18turbo.com
Maybe so but theres also plenty of broken rods, holes in blocks and lag......

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Maybe... but nothing that a nice set of balanced Carrillo Rods cant sort out, along with JE pistons a Chambon crank and Diesel shells, the block is internally braced so can and has done more than 500hp... but not really the point I was making... I was saying that the US is alot more adventurous than the UK tunners seem to be....

·
Registered
447 Posts
cos Americans dont have a problem burning money and then taking out loans and burning them as well. Most Americans dont invest in savings at all so while I was trying to earn money in my gap year to fund uni, they would have been blowing everything on their cars.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

Maybe... but nothing that a nice set of balanced Carrillo Rods cant sort out, along with JE pistons a Chambon crank and Diesel shells, the block is internally braced so can and has done more than 500hp... but not really the point I was making... I was saying that the US is alot more adventurous than the UK tunners seem to be....
All that stuff can be head in the uk, I'd probably get it from the usa anyway as its such a rip off here [:p]

The american tuners may be more adventurous but its more to do with the drag scene over there. Not much people here use there car for drag racing or would even consider buying slicks etc. Some of those guys are going every week !!

The emphasis over here seems to be on usable power, where as there its who can get the most. No use having a big snail on a 1.8 engine and having a jank powerband that takes till 5k rpm to spool !!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Sarah,

The kit sounds good. I've been looking on your website at the IHI conversion but it always said "more text to follow". I could do with sitting down with someone to discuss my options.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Adventurous... or foollhardy.

Ultimate power or drivability

Customer cars need to be reliable, so specs and power levels reflect that.

and there's the ker-ching aspect too... Not too maby UK peeps with bottomless wallets unlike over there.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

and there's the ker-ching aspect too... Not too maby UK peeps with bottomless wallets unlike over there.
I agree Bill but I was just saying that they dont seem as worrid about trying new things... wether it goes pop or not.... quite funny reading some of their forums sometimes!! [:D] turbos that are almost the size of the engine! bulkheads battered in to alow the turbo to be shoe horned in!!!

·
Registered
680 Posts

I agree Bill but I was just saying that they dont seem as worrid about trying new things... wether it goes pop or not.... quite funny reading some of their forums sometimes!! [:D] turbos that are almost the size of the engine! bulkheads battered in to alow the turbo to be shoe horned in!!!
They sure do try all sorts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts