Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Smooth airbox and standard filter seems to be as good as anything performance wise. Get a CAI if you want a whooshy noise.

Baz

·
Registered
881 Posts
As baz says get a CAI if you want a whoosh type noise and it also sounds like a dump valve when you take your foot off the throttle (i just put a Carbonio CAI on mine and it sounds great!) although they do cost £204! [:O]

If thats out of your price range then just smooth out your standard airbox, put a 'green' panel filter in and run some 80mm (i think?) ducting down to the front for a nice cold air feed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Where's the best place to get a 'green' panel filter from and how much are they roughly?

Is it reccomended that the VW air filter be replaced (or cleaned) after so many years? Is it part of the service?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok cheers, which one will give more power? im guessing the Carbonio...are they easy to fit? and what is meant by smoothing out the airbox?

Thanks for any help on this one

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Some will tell you the carbonio will but it's been proven otherwise. They're just an expensive engine bay ornament. A CAI on your system will do just about...... nothing really. You need to do lots of research. A CAI will give you no performance gains on a turbo engine. It'll improve throttle response but won't bump your hp.

Go to the VWvortex and go to the DIYs and there should be instructions on smoothing the airbox.

Cheers

Baz

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
forgot to ask...will smoothing the airbox give me a slight power increase? aslo if you know of ant useful threads for this please send em on

Cheers

T

·
Registered
180 Posts
if you want bhp increase i suggest you buy a filter from someone who advertises in max power, but really they make you car sound better therefore your brain tells you its faster, and because everyone wants to believe it will make a difference they do believe it, but sadly they dont make you go faster as they dont increase power

best way to get cheap better performance is to go on a diet, remove 10kgs and your power to weight ratio will improve.....

·
Registered
881 Posts
Where's the best place to get a 'green' panel filter from and how much are they roughly?
Theres plenty of places to get them from so just google it & try and find the besr price but i think its around £50-£60

Is it reccomended that the VW air filter be replaced (or cleaned) after so many years? Is it part of the service?
The filter will be replaced when you get it serviced, but personally i'd try and keep it clean in between servicing, its only a couple of screws to get the top of the air box off.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
performance gains from an air filter with a turbo car are minimal and that's why people just smooth the airbox to allow better airflow.

As it's been said already people just like the noise of the air filters and that's why they think the gains are there. NA cars are a different story though.

If I were you i'd save the cash and use it for something more worthwhile or put it towards a remap.

Baz

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
anyone know of anywhere in the south that will do a re-map? i know jabba do a good job but just wondered if there was anyone closer to me that anyone can recommend?

T

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Revo seems to be a good choice for me as they are close, would it be ok to smooth the airbox after the revo?any help please?

cheers

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Theres plenty of places to get them from so just google it & try and find the besr price but i think its around £50-£60
Demon Tweeks used to do em for about £35 ish delivered iirc.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
although they do cost £204! [:O]

If thats out of your price range then just smooth out your standard airbox, put a 'green' panel filter in and run some 80mm (i think?) ducting down to the front for a nice cold air feed.
How much ?? Think they saw you comin mate ! Jesus ! Sure even awesome do em cheaper than that !

·
Registered
881 Posts
?? Think they saw you comin mate ! Jesus ! Sure even awesome do em cheaper than that !
I did get it from awsome bud, thats the only place you can get it from in the uk, awesome advertise it on their site for £165 but thats without vat, once you have added that on and the delivery charge it comes to £204! [:|]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
?? Think they saw you comin mate ! Jesus ! Sure even awesome do em cheaper than that !
I did get it from awsome bud, thats the only place you can get it from in the uk, awesome advertise it on their site for £165 but thats without vat, once you have added that on and the delivery charge it comes to £204! [:|]
JESUS C !!!!!! I'd have bought one second hand mate ! Bloody VAT.. £44 straight to the government ! [:mad:]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts