Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking at buyinga 1.6 Golf but there are quite a few different option out there. I dont know which one is the one to go for out of the S, SE or the Match. I am going to view a Match tomorrow on an 03 reg, its first three letters of the engine code are BCB am I correct in thinking this is the 16v 105hp engine? Anyone know of any problems with the gearboxes on these models?

Could someone please tell me the engine specs between the S, SE and the Match and which year the engines were changed to the more powerfull 105hp ones?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
depending on price! you get the 1.6s and thats the basic version!

i would recomend the SE, se models after 2000 (x reg) came with cruise control as standard! i dont know much aboput the models but i do know that se is a good one to go with!

the match models came with alloys as standard! but you can find most s, se spec with alloys!

i.e. mine is a 2000 w 1.6se 8v! it has full heated leather, alloys, climate control(with air con) and a sunroof! (this is rare sun roof +aircon) full winter pack with headlight washers and rain sensor wipers, cruise control, and arm rest, i think thats it!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sorry if this comes across the wrong way goldgolf but why do you have so many exclamation marks in your posts? Are you constantly shouting or a teenage girl? [6]

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
He only had 7 in his 1st post and 3 in his second, thats not too mad.

Anyway, BCB is 1.6 16v 105bhp. Match was brought out from 03 I think, just an S spec car with a few exras - heated seats, air con, and alloys I think. They're the most spec'd cars, a bit mroe than SE and loads moe than S. But hen again some S and SE drivers may have orderd more equipmen as optional exras.

If your budget can stretch I would really recommend a TDI 115 - higher spec, better fuel economy and performance. But these are more expensive.

·
Registered
351 Posts
He only had 7 in his 1st post and 3 in his second, thats not too mad.
He had 9 actually [:p]

Anyway I'll stop now.

My experience of a 1.6SE a few months ago made me think the 1.6 engine is too underpowered for the Golf, I was planning on buying the SE spec which had a good level of standard equipment already, but the one I test drove had full leather heated seats, climate, sunroof, cruise, santa monica's and also sat nav. It was very tempting but when I took it for a spin I just found that the unit struggled with the weight of the Golf, so I opted instead for the 1.8T.

If your budget can stretch a little further I'd recommend the 110bhp TDI or the 125 bhp 1.8.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
ok i had to many!!!!!!!! its a habit, i'll stop now then if it make you all happy,

i agree with the last post about being underpowered, although this is all i could find insurance for when i got it, will be trading it in for a 115bhp tdi soonish.

but again it all depends how far budget will go, and if you do few miles then no point going diesel.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
ok i had to many!!!!!!!! its a habit, i'll stop now then if it make you all happy,
You use as many !!!!'s as you like!

Anyway, he has a point, less that 15000miles a year and a diesel isn't cheaper to run than a pertol apparently. Though I like the torque and tuning potential of a TDI over the petrol models!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Anyway, he has a point, less that 15000miles a year and a diesel isn't cheaper to run than a pertol apparently. Though I like the torque and tuning potential of a TDI over the petrol models!
Don't know about that! I only fill up my TDI 130 once a month, whereas I used to fill up my A3 1.8T roughly every 10 days. I only do about 10000 miles per year. Servicing and insurance costs are about the same for the petrol and the diesel and the road tax is only £110 per year for the diesel against £170 for the petrol. I'm sure I'm saving money with my TDI.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Don't know about that! I only fill up my TDI 130 once a month, whereas I used to fill up my A3 1.8T roughly every 10 days. I only do about 10000 miles per year. Servicing and insurance costs are about the same for the petrol and the diesel and the road tax is only £110 per year for the diesel against £170 for the petrol. I'm sure I'm saving money with my TDI.
That's what the bloke at the vw garage told me, though personally I'd get a diesel even if I only dd 5000 a year because they're just great cars and go on forever!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i hope they go on forever!

im looking at a y plate 115gt-tdi with around 40-50ish k on the clock soon and i plan on this being the car i finally do mods to as i have never modded a car

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Well mine has 144000 on the clock now, tuned since 100000 mles and all is well. My old man (who used to work with all sorts of engines) said he couldn't tell the difference between the tone/health of my engine at 100k and his at 25k - he had a passat with he same engine code. Only difference was more dust in my engine bay!

You can't go wrong with a VAG diesel! Did you see the T reg Octavia SDI on ebay a few weeks ago with 350K on the clock?!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
yeah i did see that, fair to say i was stunned! certainly got his moneys worth from that car.

how do you mean could tell a tone/health between 25k and 100k?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
He said, and I quote "There's no difference between this car Benjie and mine"... (few other sentences, can't remember)... We went for a test drive then he said something along the lines of "It feels just like mine, except faster because it's a Golf and not a Passat" then he said "You've wanted this for ages so I would get it" That was when I was looking at it and standing there with the bonnet up and engine idling. My old man knows his stuff and I trust him (obviously, who doesn't trust their dad?!) so I got it and I've not been disappointed!

At the time his Passat was on 25k and my Golf was on 99.5k

Also, my dad calls me Benjie all the time, even though my real name is Benjamin.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
does anyone have some 0-60 times for the golf 1.6?? I have looked at parkers and they say 10 seconds but they also say that the book speed for a toyota yaris 1.3 is 12 seconds but i know for a fact it does it in 9 seconds, I have done it many times with different people on the stop watch and everytime its come out close to 9 seconds give or take a second. I have also got a small GPS and have done it with that and then looked at graphs that its made, everytime its been around 9 seconds so I dont really trust the book speeds. Anyone got some times for me???

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ohhh and one more thing....will it do 60 in second gear or do you need to change into 3rd to get 60??

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
never done it with a stop watch, whatcar.com says 10.5 seconds i think i could be slightly less

not going to try it thou as i dont like going more than 2000rpm in 1st and basically i dont like driving my car too hard!

selling it soon

1 - 20 of 71 Posts