Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How Do,

I have had my golf for 5 days now and I'm starting to convince myself theres something wrong with it, its a PD115.

When accelerating it pulls well from 1.5k all the way to about 3.5k but then seems to not quite pull as well from 3.5-4.5k.

I thought this was normal for a diesel until I drove a mates passat 110 yesterday which seemed to pull as well if not better between 3.5-4.5k as it did lower down the revs.

When giving the car some beans this means I am constantly between 3.5-4.5k through the gears and it doesnt seem as quick as I thought it would be.

My questions is do you all find the above to be true, is there more power lower down than higher up? This is most noticeable in first and second where it shoves you back in your seat as you go through the lower revs then when you hit 3.5 it actually shoves you forward a little bit as the rate of acceleration decreases.

If this is not the case any idea what it might be?

If this is the case where is best to change gear?

Sorry for the essay [:eek:)]

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have this in my non PD 110 Tdi golf. It's Superchipped to about 140bhp and 235ish lb/ft torque and hits you with a strong burst of torque from about 1900rpm ish, but this tails off all tooo quickly after about 3250 rpm as you say.

I thought that Superchips et al were supposed to eliminate flat spots etc and allow more fuelling up to (and sometimes beyond!) the redline.

It could be your Mass Airflow (MAF) Sensor is duff, giving low readings to the ECU, so that it in turn, gives less fuel and therefore less power.

I coincidentally also drove a Passat 110 a while ago and it was exactly as you said: It pulled hard right up into the higher rev range.

Hope we both get a fix soon!!!!!!

Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Peak torque is approached quickly with tdi's at low rpm, and then very slowly approaches maximum after that (in the mid-2000s I thought).... expecting much acceleration after 3250 rpm is pointless. All diesels are like that. Max hp is also approached at a lower rpm (than gassers) - even if it's much much lower. Diesel fuel is just not an explosive substance (like gasoline). Specific numbers are relative to your engine and mods, but the basic behaviour is the same. If you want to downshift at 80mph and redline it for some fun, then you're using the wrong type of engine.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I'd certainly expect that ooomph feeling to be dropping off after 3.5k revs on an unmodified car. With a remap it will keep pulling at least to 4k rpm.

·
Registered
156 Posts
my 115 pd only has pull below 3k if your used to driving petrols think of it as the opposite for power keep your revs low

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Fit a merc maf and it will carry the power al the way through to the limiter

mine died away like you said but totaly changed when i fitted the merc maf

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
I echo what CraigGSI says, try a Merc Maf if your car is standard. Does make a difference, i've been more than pleased with mine.

I'm putting a VW 130PD MAF back on my 115PD this week as i'm getting Upsoluted, I beleive the Merc Maf isn't too good when you've been re-mapped.

Lee

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
now that i have read it again i aint sure how it goes with the PD engine and merc mafs

try getting a loan of a maf to see if yours is gubbed

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i tried a merc maf on my modded PD130, got more turbo lag, it was very dead under 2000rpm and going up a hill at 90 and it was like hitting a brick wall

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for the replies

I had almost accepted that this was the way the diesel engine drove until I drove the passat, it just seemed to pull to the redline, whereas there is no point in going above 4k in mine as there is simply hardly any power, going all the way to the redline takes forever!!

According to the manual peak power is at 4000 rpm, so still not convinced its right, gona check all the hoses and clean the MAF at the weekend.

So where is best to change gear, I take it you want to keep the revs between 2 and 3.5k?

Cheers

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Trust me, give the Merc MAF a try. It costs about ?50 iirc, and it just pulls all the way through the revs. I couldn't believe the difference it made over the VW MAF[:O].

Tinter: I don't think it would work with the tuning box tbh[:(].

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The problem is I'm having it live mapped at the end of next month so that would mean changing the MAF back from what I've read, been in a 115 audi a4 today and again that felt much brisker between 3.5 and 4.5k and its supposed to be the same engine :S

Gona try and find someone I know who got the same car and have a blast in that. Anyone got a RR printout so I can see the power and torque curves?

Cheers

·
Registered
638 Posts
My power was all over the place, so tried replacing the MAF, was a little reluctant as it did cost 80-90ish. But once done, absolutely great! Plenty of power etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts