Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a 5 Speed R-Line Gear Knob (without 4Motion written on), apart from VAG Parts ?

I ask because I ordered one back in December from VAG Parts and I still haven?t received it as they say they are having problems sourcing them from Germany. And now looking at their website, they have taken them off their online store so this does not bode to well for my chances of actually getting one [:(].

I have seen that VAG Parts & Awesome do the standard .:R32 gear knobs, but as these are marked up as 6 speed and have 4Motion written on them, it would look a little silly in my 5 Speed, FWD, 1.8T.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
If Vagparts can't get them at the moment then I doubt many other places can. Could try the dealers or maybe OEM parts or VWspeed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i've found every vw original part from http://www.awesome-gti.com/ more expensive than the stealers, i don't know why people fall for it, they have to buy them at trade price, plus add there profit which either puts them inline with stealer price or more, plus it's more awquard to replace faulty goods, i'd recomend comparing price with stealer before buying from any third party company.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I gave up on VAG Parts and ended up getting one from Awesome GTI but at least the delivery was quick as I received it the next day.

So after 10 weeks I have finally got one, though as I said in my email to VAG Part I was not impressed with their customer service because I was never told that there was going to be a problem and I only found out that they had problems getting them after I contacted them one month after ordering it.

I did try the stealers but they are worse than useless because of their arrogance. Don't know why though because I used to work for a Honda dealer and before that I worked for a motorfactors we where never like that.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yeah I know VAGParts did have / are having problems with these and your are quite right they are no longer on the website.

It does all stem from Germany VW and instead of being helpful they let you place orders, more often than not, and then on the rare occasion come back and say oh its on back order it will be another week and then another and then another AND THEN you finally get a sensible answer out of them!>?!>!

I can understand your frustration dude and its no consolation but your not alone in this...

In future order anything from VAGParts through your friendly online sales rep and you'll get BANG ON customer service [;)]

Cheers

C

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I phoned Awesome on Wednesday lunchtime they said that they had 4 of the R-Line five speed gear knobs in stock, so I ordered it then and there. The gear knob then turned up on Thursday morning [:D]

As I said I did accept and fully understand that they where having problems getting the gearknobs and I don't blame them, but 10 weeks was just getting to be a joke...

But I will use them again & recommend them to anyone as I originally ordered as set of TT Pedals which I received pretty quick and their pricing is hard to beat

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pics aren't great as it is a bit bright out and even the filter I have doesn't remove all the glare but here goes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was very easy as it comes with full picture instruction. Heres brief guide to what I done ...

To remove the old one simply pull the old gaiter up around the gear knob and you should see a clamp which holds the gear knob in place and simply cut this off using a pair of side cutters or similar and then simply slide the gear knob off. There should be the frame for the gaiter which if you simply push forward it just lifts out.

The new one simply slides one like the old one. Pull up the gaiter & surround up around the gear knob and slide in on and then secure the clamp which requires the use of a pair of Pinchers (luckily I had a pair of Nippex Pinchers). Then pull the new gaiter surround down into place (Slide the front of the surround in first and then press the back into place).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Including delivery it cost just over ?89 from Awesome GTI. Not to bad really considering that you get the Gear Knob, Gaiter, and Frame.

If you bought a good quality after market one such as a Momo you would expect to pay ?40-50 for the gear knob alone, ?30 for the leather gaiter and another ?30 for the alu frame.

Just glad to have it fitted and to have got rid of the last remnants of that tacky looking fake wood c**p, and with the R32 Alu trim it just really finishes the interior off (except now it makes me want to get the R32 pedal set, deadpedal & steering wheel).

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's funny but I think I must be the only one who likes the dark wood trim. Personally I would much rather have the wood than the brushed aluminium. Don't get me wrong, it does look good in your car (and I do like the R-Line knob) but not sure its for me. I know everyone else is putting the R32 style stuff in their cars so obviously it's just me. Each to their own I supose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts