Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of finishing off my CAI (Cold Air Intake) by adding some Bonrath air vents to my front bumper.

Posted Image


Though so far the cheapest price I have found is ?44.95. Can anyone recommend anywhere else or another manufacturer that I could obtain these from ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by rfsteel on 04/01/2005 11:48:21

Thinking of finishing off my CAI (Cold Air Intake) by adding some Bonrath air vents to my front bumper.

Posted Image


Though so far the cheapest price I have found is ?44.95. Can anyone recommend anywhere else or another manufacturer that I could obtain these from ?

Where did you find that picture, Russell ? I'm after the very same bits and am havin' a total mare findin them [:(]. Don't you think the bonrath shop and site is a bit [email protected] ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote: posted by tylerama on 04/01/2005 11:54:45

Quote: posted by rfsteel on 04/01/2005 11:48:21

Thinking of finishing off my CAI (Cold Air Intake) by adding some Bonrath air vents to my front bumper.

Posted Image


Though so far the cheapest price I have found is ?44.95. Can anyone recommend anywhere else or another manufacturer that I could obtain these from ?

Where did you find that picture, Russell ? I'm after the very same bits and am havin' a total mare findin them [:(]. Don't you think the bonrath shop and site is a bit [email protected] ?

I just did a Google search for Bonrath Air Vents and it came back with the following sites;

Auto Stylin

CC Motorsport

Mod World

Carnoisseur
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by rfsteel on 04/01/2005 12:20:34

Quote: posted by Reflex TDI on 04/01/2005 12:01:59

I bought some almost identical ones from Awesome, but made by Hofele, cost me ?35.

Posted Image


Thanks James, I presume these are the ones you have ?

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/vw%20golfmk4/styling.html

Hofele Design Mk4 Golf Lower Bumper Intakes ?30

I'll place an order today for these and see how I go.

This is funny we are both thinkin of doin exactly the same things at the same time ! [:D]

Sceptic has the hofele ones attached to his piper-x viper CAI.. was gonna order those if I had no luck sourcing the bonrath items..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
I fancy a set too [:D], but can you remove them easily like to OEM ones ?? I guess they come in black plastic too ?????

Come on awesome speak up, your hang over must have gone by now [:D]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by Jace on 04/01/2005 12:37:01

I fancy a set too [:D], but can you remove them easily like to OEM ones ?? I guess they come in black plastic too ?????

Come on awesome speak up, your hang over must have gone by now [:D]

I met up with MrW last week to pick up my cai tubing and he showed me his bonrath vents.. and removed them to show me how to get the tubing in and where to move the outside temp sensor and horns too.. they seemed easy enough to get in and out.. maybe slightly more fiddly than the oem parts, but not too bad.. a coupla seconds [:D]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by Jace on 04/01/2005 12:37:01

I fancy a set too [:D], but can you remove them easily like to OEM ones ?? I guess they come in black plastic too ?????

I guess they come in black plastic too ????? - I think they are just silver there so they highlight against the bumper in the pic, jace [:D][:p][;)] MrW's are matt black.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,786 Posts
rfsteel - Yes mine are those ones - ?30 and I got -10% forum discount on a bulk order of bits.

Jace/Tylerama - they are a piece of cake to remove - a small flat bladed screwdriver in the edge facing the numberplate eases the clip off. I remove the off-side one to fit the towing eye on trackdays[^]. They are black plastic and mine have been sprayed Diamond Black.

You can't see in my pics but the hole has a moulded plastic mesh - if I had a different coloured car I would paint that black.....

Found a better pic[8)];

Posted Image
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by tylerama on 04/01/2005 13:04:12

I met up with MrW last week to pick up my cai tubing and he showed me his bonrath vents..

Did he now [:O] Does your girly know [:D]

Shall be on to awesome in about 2mins [^]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by Jace on 04/01/2005 14:18:39

Quote: posted by tylerama on 04/01/2005 13:04:12

I met up with MrW last week to pick up my cai tubing and he showed me his bonrath vents..

Did he now [:O] Does your girly know [:D]

Shall be on to awesome in about 2mins [^]

Order just placed with AWESOME [^]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine are on order as well.

Awesome were even kind enough to add a 10% discount as I mentioned this 'forum' [:)]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by Jace on 04/01/2005 14:18:39

Quote: posted by tylerama on 04/01/2005 13:04:12

I met up with MrW last week to pick up my cai tubing and he showed me his bonrath vents..

Did he now [:O] Does your girly know [:D]

Shall be on to awesome in about 2mins [^]

You dirty, dirty old man ! *said in style of Harold from Steptoe & Son* [:p][;)][:D]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got mine this evening as I missed the posty this morning.

Took one hand and 30 seconds to remove the old vent and fit the new.

Here are some pics of what the right hand side one looks like, (as the left is on the car)

Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Anyone have any ideas on how to fit my 3.5" air feed to the rear of this vent so I can benefit from Rammed air effect ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by rfsteel on 06/01/2005 19:56:19

Got mine this evening as I missed the posty this morning.

Took one hand and 30 seconds to remove the old vent and fit the new.

Here are some pics of what the right hand side one looks like, (as the left is on the car)

Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Anyone have any ideas on how to fit my 3.5" air feed to the rear of this vent so I can benefit from Rammed air effect ?

Good question, Russell ! Just what I was pondering..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How about this for a solution to my question ?

Posted Image


Pipe to Channel Adaptor - 100mm pipe or 110 x 54mm Channel

With a small bit of fabrication to the above part to the squared end, this could be mated to the rear of the vent, causing a seal. Then fitting the CIA tubing to the circular bit would enable a sealed fit.

I suppose the only limiter is the room behind the air vent in the bumper.

Seeing as this part only costs ?1.49 I shall investigate further.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top