Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you will have installed MFD2 Sat Nav units in your Golf Mk5s, but where have you put your GPS antenna?
Options I have heard of so far are..
[1] On top of the dash, inbetween the windscreen and the central big airvent[2] Underneath the central airvent[3] Inside windscreen, near rear-view mirror
Which is the best position, and how well does it work in each case (how many satellites signals do you get)?
Is there anywhere else you can think of putting the antenna out of sight, but still working (polite answers only please!)??

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I originally had the antenna in my MKV GTI underneath the central airvent and secured to the back upright section of the vent housing, it did get an ok signal there but the satellite fix did 'dip out' now and again and on a couple of occasions in bad weather whilst in built up areas it lost it's signal completely for around 10 mins...

I changed the reciever position to behind the instrument cluster (just remove the steering wheel cowling and two torx screws secure the clocks), much better signal there and no sat fix issues since changing to this position [Y]

HTH

Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve for the info. I haven't actually acquired my MFD2 yet, but I am getting everything ready beforehand to make it a smooth install!
Once I remove the clocks, is it obvious as to where I should be putting the antenna? How did you fix yours in?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
No probs mate [:)]

I've had 2 of the aftermarket GPS antennas (one for a MK4 and the MK5) and both have had magnetic bases, i just popped it onto a metal 'shelf' that was behind the clocks and it was rock solid..

Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds easy enough!
All I've got to do now is choose the 'right' one to buy off ebay!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yeah it can be a bit of a minefield mate, myself and another forum members bought our DVD versions off ebay from a guy called 'michaelwojnar' on there, he was based in west london and we drove down to see them before buying, top guy and the units were faultless..[Y]

Just looked and he has none on the bay at the moment but keep an eye out mate..

Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, there's a few to choose from at the moment, and although I'm sure that Lithuania is very nice, I think I'll try and stay a bit closer to home!? I think UK/Ireland is the safest bet for me.. With maybe a Ver3 DVD from Germany (if one isn't included)..
There's nothing like a bit of online shopping!!
Thanks again for your advice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll keep that pic handy thanks Curley!

Does that connector mean that the clocks are actually unplugged, and if so, do I need to unplug the battery first, or just make sure ignition is off before I start?

I'm always wary about these things as you read about all sorts of 'errors' resulting from tinkering!

Your help is gratefully received.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Ignition off, key out, then away you go. The clocks are quite stiff to get out. I found it better to get at the clocks while the satnav was out, lots more room to get your hand in. Mind you, you will get cuts though, it's very tight[:O]

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm always wary about these things as you read about all sorts of 'errors' resulting from tinkering!
[:S] im in the same frame of mind as PNS as i dont want all that error stories to happen to me, so can you reach behind the dials from the centre console?? or do you have to remove the steering column bit???

[*-)]

also where do VW put the attenna when you buy it from them? im sure they would have the best place?

thanks for the advice ppl! [Y] want my mfd2 (comin 2mrw!!) to look as OEM as possible!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Done with the keys out of the ignition and safely in your pocket you'll be fine mate... [:D]

It's very very tight behind the stereo area and although you can see up towards behind the clocks you will struggle to place the antenna without removing the cluster but it is very easy, when i did mine it was 2 torx bits and a tug on the clocks and your done..

VW place the antenna on the roof at the rear of the car, you may have seen the 'sharkfin' antenna on some cars.. you could retrofit a GPS sharkfin there yourself but do you really wanna drill your roof? [:O]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Beddie and Curley - thanks a lot for the great advice.. I've just installed my MFD2 Sat Nav.? No problems at all, with antennna snuck in behind the clocks.
All is in place - just got to get my Sat Nav DVD tomorrow morning from the PO and then I'll see what sort of signal I get!? I couldn't wait an extra day to fit it with the DVD in my hand, so hopefully all will be well!? If anyone else is thinking of doing this upgrade, go for it!
Thanks again to you all and this great forum which makes all things possible.
Cheers guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts