Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
i have been trying to get hold of a US style front bump strip with the side markers in for my car
any clues (tried performance cafe)
got this of there site

where can i get it from?????

many thanks
Andy

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I'd say that the easiest thing to do is get the lights and dremel the holes out yourself from a UK rub strip. Remember the US rubstrip hasn't got your plate recess in the center. And it'll save you a hell of a lot of money. It wouldn't be that hard. Drill a couple of holes and just file and sand the hole until it is the correct size.
Baz

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
you can not make a u.s. front rub strip fit a u.k. front bumper as the bumpers are different shapes.

the u.s. front strip that mark has for sale will only fit a u.k. bora not a golf.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Different shapes?????

We had this discussion on the Vortex a while ago. American and UK bumpers are exactly the same. Same part numbers, same factorys, same shape, same size.

Baz

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK
i spoke to a VW dealer last night on the phone in NEWYORK
and i have the prices

front strip = $83.80
side markers EACH $9.50

he told me if we could get enough people togeather he would send a group parcell
so all we need to know is who is intersted

YES US MK4 BUMPER IS THE SAME SIZE AS THE EURO BUMPER

Many Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
u.s. and u.k. bumpers are not the same size and shape at all.

i have a u.s. rear on my car at the moment and the shape is nothing like the shape of the u.k. bumper.

also the front bumpers are not the same shape either.the u.s. front bumper has a flat to the top of the bumper where the lights are just like the u.k. bora bumper,the u.k. front bumper is more rounded along the top.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Are you mixing up Golf and Bora bumpers?

The US Jetta front bumper is the same as the UK Bora front bumper - end of story.

The US Golf front bumper is the same as the UK Golf front Bumper.

I've already checked and compared part numbers and detailed photo's with people on the vortex.

Baz

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
mate trust me i have a u.s. rear and its nothing like a u.k..front are different too,the u.s. fronts have a flat top.

don't give me "end of story"i never said bora and jeta bumpers are different!

the lad that asked the oringinal question was after a golf strip.if he was after a bora strip then that is a simple fix as i know the u.s. jeta strip will fit but golf bumpers are deffinately different.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
OK - no offense intended.

He didn't actually say Golf anywhere as far as I can see??????? And the title of the Pic posted says GLI which is a US MK4 Jetta.

I'm really confused about this flat top bit. Can someone post pics or explain it???

Thanks

Baz

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok just to put the record stright it was a MK4 golf strip
The dealer asked me if it was for a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder and i asked why so he told me that there is a diffrence between the two so i said a 4 cylinder.
the pic was taken from a us site just as a guide line to what i was looking for SORRY[;)]
I think Tabs said he has the part number so i will check the ones i have with his and see if they are the same

Thanks
Andy

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
US spec MK4's have a larger bumper due to foam padding. Something to do with crash protection legislation in the US which forces VW to enlrage the bumper to accomodate the foam padding.

As a result the rub strip is larger and will need to be cut down to fit.

Search vortex for Euro strips and bumpers. Every bugger over there is crying out for them and not one of them has fitted a Euro spec bumper with a US spec strip!

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Should find someone in the US with a compleat US bumper and strip who wants to swap it for a euro style

each pays there own postal costs and job done????

worth a try

1 - 18 of 18 Posts