Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers mate, is that just a normal star /hex bit cos i have some of those but on the maf its a star bit bit with a bit sticking up in the middle ,if you know what i mean lol

·
Registered
368 Posts
u sure that its the torx bit with a little bit in the middle?/ I
thought it was just a standard torx bit (T20) in which case u can get a
screwdriver in Halfords etc.

Andy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its not a normal torz bit. thats what i thought but normal one wont fit due to the "nipple" bit in centre of the star. ill take a pic tomorrow

·
Registered
352 Posts
Halfords sell them too - well the decent size Halfords. I paid a tenner for about 20 different sized ones - I couldn't be arsed to wait to buy on eBay etc...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol thats a bit of a bodge aint it, i want the proper bit. also i doubt you will snap it that easily as its metal.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I'd check if you have ordered the correct bit as it's most likely a 5 point torx screw, not the standard 6 point [;)]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sem's right lads.

My old MAF had 6 point security torx screws (i.e. normal torx bit with a pin in the middle) and the draper set from ASDA worked fine.

However, my replacement MAF has a 5 point security screw. I researched them a bit because I wanted to try a Merc MAF but you cannot get hold of them - they are sold to approved dealers only and are called torx plus bits.

There is only one way around this (that i could find) and that's to use the 2 prong bits that come in the standard draper sets, they can be used very carefully to bridge the pin in the centre and wedge between teeth to unscrew the sods. Then replace them with with self tappers like I did to solve the problem in the future.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I managed to undo them with a good set of pliers , takes some patience / time .. then i replaced them with some stainless self tappers with a 'normal' cross head drive ... they are self tapper type screws not M5 , M6  etc .

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd check if you have ordered the correct bit as it's most likely a 5 point torx screw, not the standard 6 point [;)]
I had this problem after buying a set of security bits, In the end I managed to break off one of the points and file it down so it wasn't in the way. Not the best way to do it, but it lasted long enough to get both screws out and back in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts