Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
Bear in mind that's not an exchange price, so selling yours would reduce the cost. And it has a full 12 month warranty, which beats eBay by approximately 12 months!

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
Importing. If you're unlucky, plus vat and import duty. And a warranty in the US. And tech back-up?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm.. I dont mind about the warranty because for the price backdraft want for it, you can buy 3 from the US lol... assuming that it is not one of those made in china units. I have never bought anything from abroad, how does import duty work?

·
Registered
500 Posts
what trl said,

plus I very much doubt that turbo is a genuine BorgWarner(KKK) product.

More likely to be a Chinese copy that will blowup in a day, or maybe 2.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Forget the K04-001.

Sort the handling first.

Carrying speed through a corner is far more satisfying than having to slow down(alot in the case of a Mk4's standard handling), then accelerating again.

Then get it remapped, properly from the likes of Rtech, don't bother with Revo, the output is too peaky.

210-220bhp from your car is more than enough for the road. The K04-001 won't get you much more anyway.

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
dont scrimp on a turbo, if it goes wrong worst case scenario is you get impellars in your engine and you bend all sorts of things which results in dead engine and alot more cost than just buying a proper turbo.

i actually think that backdrafts costs are reasonable, considering they are uk based, so you get comeback if there is a problem plus they are new and genuine.

A k04 from there is 600 plus vat, considering ive seen second hand ones for sale for 400 with dubious mileage claims and no guarantee, thats a bargain

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
R-tech stage 1 already, Jom coilovers in the pipeline. I also have a decat downpipe waiting to go on when i get a decent cat-back.

Can anybody inform me more about the ko3s hybrid?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
K03s hybrid is tried and tested with good feedback, there're a few who had problems with their hybrid units and had to have it returned to cr turbos a few times, but generally I think they're good. Or you could go for a k04-02x turbo like from the 225tt and lcr - Im selling a k04-02x turbo kit

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I thought k04-001 is different from a k03 hybrid, I thought a k04-001 was in most aspects very similar to the k03s and that a k03 hybrid was basically a k04-02x compressor wheel which is larger than a k04-001 wheel.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
It depends on what work has been done, surely? A hybrid is just that, a unit made using parts from other units to make a non-standard turbo. I doubt there is only one type of K03S hybrid.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As far as i know yes there is not only one type of hybrid ko3s because it depends what spec its build to and which parts its using. I think i might go down the ko3 hybrid route. I need to get into contact with a few companies. Does anybody know any? Iv heard of CR Turbos and Turbo Dynamics...

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
I'd be on the phone to R-Tech for advice and a booking for the car. They'll tell you where priorities lay, and prices/pitfalls.

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
There are atleast 5 or 6 kinds of K03s hybrid and thats just on the turbo technics website, pretty sure theres thousands of ways to build what can be called a K03s hybrid,

K04-001 is just one of those ways

Some places are claiming 300 bhp from newer incarnations, on standard manifolds.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts