Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title please lol. I haven't got a clue where to buy one from and what kind of money ium looking at

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
What engine is it for?

If you have a turbo then you're completely wasting your money. CAI's are designed for NA engines. Unless of course you want it for looks (probably still wasting you money).

Baz

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
What engine is it for?

If you have a turbo then you're completely wasting your money. CAI's are designed for NA engines. Unless of course you want it for looks (probably still wasting you money).

Baz
well theres a fair few people on here have wasted their money then ..........

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
What engine is it for?

Baz
well theres a fair few people on here have wasted their money then ..........
It's been discussed hundreds of times on the Vortex - not too mention dynos printed up. I know of people who've taken them out because they were losing a couple of horses. The BEST CAI if you really want to go in deep is the BMC CDA which gives the best gains on engines like the VR6. But again they've been dyno'd against a stock airbox and made no difference whatsoever on both the TDIs and 1.8Ts. If fact the only change they made was causing a slight lag.

If you're in any doubt ask Fred from tdiclub.com. He'll tell you that you'll be lucky to see 1hp out of changing to any intake on a tdi.

If your still in doubt go to the MK4 section on the Vortex and search for CAI and you'll see that a lot of people buy them but when you look at the discussions about them everyone who's done their research OR actually tested them on a dyno says the same thing: "It makes a great noise, but that's it"

Sorry if it gets to anyone but I'm just stating the facts.

Baz

·
Registered
28 Posts
Colder air detonates better then hot air so having the filter out of the engine bay helps alot. Thats the whole point of having an intercooler keep the charge temps down so having cold air sucked in helps it even more.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Documented fact

1. Stock air box with good panel filter like Green - slight gain

2. Stock box with Green + 80 mm alu duct or similiar - Excellent gains

3. Carbonio CAI or similiar - def more gain than standard box + loads of sound (but not better than above according to Vortex tests)

I think this topic has been discussed so many times its just what you want if you want that wooosshh sound then Carbonio def the way but if you want extra gain then you want setup 2.

anyone disagree?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Thank you for that.

So at the end of the day - carbonio is for looks and noise. Piece of 2.5 - 3" duct out of B&Q is a better buy.

Baz

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Wit the the CAI it is not the BHP gains.

It is the throttle response that is improved.

Lowering the intake temps is what it will do , so improve throttle responce

We have sold around 20 of these in the past 2 months there abouts

So it is not a complete waste of money as we would not have sold all these.

I would not go down the route of the ducting for B&Q I have seen it.

We do some great induction pipe from Pipercross or Green cotton do a nice piece of piping.

All about £22.00 + VAT

Air filters are there for a reason and the air box with its bits is there for a reason

Sarah

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Wit the the CAI it is not the BHP gains.

It is the throttle response that is improved.

Lowering the intake temps is what it will do , so improve throttle responce

We have sold around 20 of these in the past 2 months there abouts

So it is not a complete waste of money as we would not have sold all these.

I would not go down the route of the ducting for B&Q I have seen it.

We do some great induction pipe from Pipercross or Green cotton do a nice piece of piping.

All about £22.00 + VAT

Air filters are there for a reason and the air box with its bits is there for a reason

Sarah
Why does your website claim all this stuff about torque and horsepower then? I've seen them dyno'd with no increase at all? I think you should specify the seperate gains shown for each engine by posting the numbers for each engine.

quote from awesome gti:

"The Carbonio system is designed to maximize the torque produced by your engine. The natural extension of increased torque is an increase in horsepower (hp). While the hp gain is nice, this system's tuned shape will give you that increased hp for a longer period of time, thereby allowing you to make better use of each and every gear. This is a consequence of an increase in torque for over 10% of the rev range; torque comes in sooner and tails off later. "

Baz

P.S. your claiming the same outcomes for a TDI as an R32 (HP and torque increases). I think you'll find that's a bit misleading. The R32 will make increases with the intake but certainly not on my TDI.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thank you for that.

So at the end of the day - carbonio is for looks and noise. Piece of 2.5 - 3" duct out of B&Q is a better buy.

Baz
Yes, on vortex they have proved with figures and vast testing that just some ducting, smooth air box and a good panel filter ...bob`s your uncle.

But again Carbonio sound is much louder so yes for sound and looks carbonio is what you want...bit expensive though IMO

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Agree with what sarah say its about the air temp

the airbox being near the engine soakes up the heat and with normal duct it works to normal manufactures specs

mod with duct from B&Q let air in faster and a little cooler air and looks tacky and poo

Carbonio's and designed by companys to do a job and duct good air flow via a good size heat resistant pipe and have filter on the end

and at a position away from the engine so no heat can be drawn in and to be at the lowest temp

ive done a few test and the carbonio or what ever ya wana call it does the best job of getting cold air in

and as a bonus it sounds nice [:p]

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
And with regards to price

And this goes for everything ya ever buy

Ya get what ya pay for .......spend little money get little value , good products and materials to make these things doesnt come cheap ,

but i dont think 150 is expensive for a pipe made of carbon fibre

·
Registered
246 Posts
agree with that, although I cant find it cheaper than £200 unless you source one second hand. I would most def go for one for the sound!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Why do people have to put others off?

If you dont like the idea of a carbonio why bang on about them being rubbish just keep ya fingers off the keyboard and close the window.

I fitted one to my Mk4 1.8T approx 2 months ago. I noticed the main gains are throttle response is better and also my economy has gone up too. And i do drive the car a little hard to hear the woosh noise! (childish i know). also found even after some spirited driving the intake pipe is still cold where as the turbo TIP is quite warm so i know its still delivering nice cold air to my turbo

If its what you want then buy one. If not try the smoothed airbox and green filter.

·
Registered
246 Posts
True its a case of if you havent tried it or experienced it then you really will not know! I have just bought a second hand one in very good condition and it certainly has made the throttle response much better , brill sound too and make the engine feel like its breathing!

Bit worried about the way I fitted it as I did not need to use that clamp to hold the carbon pipe tp the bodywork the fit is so tight to the airfilter that nothing really moves!

I would say go out and get one and try it!

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
had the carbonio for around a year now on my TDi - throttle response
has improved over stock and it sounds out of this world- darth vader on
steroids!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts