Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok time and time i see people saying they get wheel spin in 3rd (im talking of people within the 200 - 240bhp mark). with my old revo stage 1 remap with 212bhp i get spinning in 1st and 2nd but not a great deal in 2nd, 3rd would never spin even if it was raining (obveously if there was ice it would). now i have revo stage 2 turbo back milltek etc and it is quicker than before. the wheels spin again in 1st and 2nd there is less lag and the turbo spools up faster, id guess its in the 230ish mark some where now. i still cant spin 3rd, but 2nd spins a bit more now. if it is wet and i boot it round a corner in 3rd it may slighly slip but no real spin like some people make out. the car pulls really nice and is very aggressive to me it feels about 230ish bhp considering what it was from 212. im an using pirelli p-zeros which i dont think are the greatest of tyres for grip? comments please [:D]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Is it not more likely to be the high powered desiels, and by that Im talking tuned 130pds and tuned 150pds, ie 180-190bhp that are going to spin in third gear due to their higher torque levels.......

I might be wrong but I would have thought that they would be the sort of people who would.....though I cant imagine anything spinning the wheels all that much in third, gearing and all, except for much higher powered cars.....

I may however be very wrong....

·
Registered
229 Posts
To follow up my opinion above a revo'd 150pd will have around 290 lb/ft of torque whereas a revo'd 1.8t will have 225/237 lb/ft depending on model........

The desiel has roughly 30% more torque and so I would have thought would be more likely to spin...........

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've got a standard PD150, and I've managed to wheel spin it once in 3rd, that was dropping down from 5th to 3rd and hitting the turbo sweet sopt bang on.  I've never managed it again.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maby it was the peeps with the 6 speed gear box that get spinning in 3rd? due to the shorter ratios? can people with 200-240bhp 1.8T's give me their views and driving experience on this subject? cheers

myk3

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I can spin the wheels in 3rd when it's wet, but not when it's dry. Thats with an aggresive change into 3rd.

Thats 200bhp, Goody F1s and 17" wheels.

I can spin the wheels in 2nd for the fun of it.... [:D]

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
My BHP: Between 243 ? 253bhp (flywheel) dependant upon the rolling road and outside air temp.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

My Torque: Between 266 and 269 Ibft<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I would guess that it depends on how the power is delivered to the wheels, whether the max bhp and torque are reached lower in the rev range, and another main factor would be the diameter and width of the wheels.<o:p></o:p>

In my experience with my light weight 19? x 8.5? BBS alloys I only really wheel spin in 1st in dry and wet weather and 2nd normally only when its wet, but I do feel that the wheels and tyres put the power down on the road very well. I can spin the wheels in 2nd in the dry if I try, but not normally when driving the car hard through the gears.

Before I installed my large brake conversion I use to use 16? BBS RXII alloys in the winter, and they would spin up all the time in the wet 1st and 2nd always and 3rd if going up a slight hill or in wet but very cold temps.<o:p></o:p>

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My BHP: Between 243 ? 253bhp (flywheel) dependant upon the rolling road and outside air temp.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

My Torque: Between 266 and 269 Ibft<o:p></o:p>

I would guess that it depends on how the power is delivered to the wheels, whether the max bhp and torque are reached lower in the rev range, and another main factor would be the diameter and width of the wheels.<o:p></o:p>

In my experience with my light weight 19? x 8.5? BBS alloys I only really wheel spin in 1st in dry and wet weather and 2nd normally only when its wet, but I do feel that the wheels and tyres put the power down on the road very well. I can spin the wheels in 2nd in the dry if I try, but not normally when driving the car hard through the gears.

Before I installed my large brake conversion I use to use 16? BBS RXII alloys in the winter, and they would spin up all the time in the wet 1st and 2nd always and 3rd if going up a slight hill or in wet but very cold temps.<o:p></o:p>

Hope that helps
thanks mate, this make a bit more sence as to why mine dont spin in 3rd. its just allot of people say they get a remap and get spinning in 3rd. i think it may just be hype or there wheels are small and they where driving in the wet. cheers

myk3

·
Registered
602 Posts
it's gotta be related to how the power is delivered. on my first gti i
had the REVO trial and didn't notice any excessive
wheel spin in 2nd when driving hard in the wet but with my current
gti which only has upsolute i can spin the wheels all day in 2nd and
pretty easy in 3rd too on wet roads. i know upsolute gives less power
but the torque comes in harder and lower (especially with the n75j) so
i'm assuming my wheel spin is becasue i get a bigger shot of torque
coming in lower down comapred to REVO which is more gradual and higher
up the rev range. fwiw, i've 18" wheels with 2 month old F1's so the
tyres are as good as you'll get ;)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's gotta be related to how the power is delivered. on my first gti i had the REVO trial and didn't notice any excessive wheel spin in 2nd when driving hard in the wet but with my current gti which only has upsolute i can spin the wheels all day in 2nd and pretty easy in 3rd too on wet roads. i know upsolute gives less power but the torque comes in harder and lower (especially with the n75j) so i'm assuming my wheel spin is becasue i get a bigger shot of torque coming in lower down comapred to REVO which is more gradual and higher up the rev range. fwiw, i've 18" wheels with 2 month old F1's so the tyres are as good as you'll get ;)
i been debating weather to play with the n75 valves... did you knowtis much difference?

·
Registered
602 Posts
i been debating weather to play with the n75 valves... did you knowtis much difference?
On my ARZ it made a very noticable difference - never been on the
rollers but power definitely comes in lower and harder - the
interesting thing is it also feels stronger at higher revs but I
wouldn't really drive the car to the red line much to be honest -
usually change around 4.5k even when driving hard ;) I wonder am I too
kind to the car....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On my ARZ it made a very noticable difference - never been on the rollers but power definitely comes in lower and harder - the interesting thing is it also feels stronger at higher revs but I wouldn't really drive the car to the red line much to be honest - usually change around 4.5k even when driving hard ;) I wonder am I too kind to the car....
fair enough... i always drive to red line in 1st and 2nd if ragging it then in 3rd i dont like to go beyond 80 as i start to worry about cops speed traps etc

·
Registered
646 Posts
As has been said previously its the big power TDI's that spin in third in the dry mine does but its not a good thing, its quite frustrating sometimes when you cant get the power down but now I have it sussed out! I have no lag whatsoever on mine but thats probably because of the work it has had done I get instant response from 1,800 rpm and it just lights the wheels up very vicious power delivery and I love it!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I probably won't be belived, but my GTTDI 110 has spun in 3rd. Only in the wet and only for a few seconds, with an aggressive grear change up through the gears.

·
Registered
447 Posts
1st is useless in the wet but its pretty good in the dry with plenty of wheelspin but the sort thats not too severe so doesnt really impede your accelleration, 2nd spins up in wet but dry its usually fine. 3rd doesnt really spin up.

Revo stage 1 1.8T

·
Registered
487 Posts
I probably won't be
belived, but my GTTDI 110 has spun in 3rd. Only in the wet and only for
a few seconds, with an aggressive grear change up through the gears.
I do believe it - My 2ltr spins in 2nd quite a lot - running continental tyres

1 - 20 of 22 Posts