Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people,

I think I have a prob with my GTi, basically when I move off, the car starts wheel spinning, this mainly happens on slight hills when I have biting point and let the clutch up slowly I keep the revs about 15000, and theres a few seconds when the car starts wheel spinning.. and I feel I have lost alot of power at the wheels. I know the roads condition isnt the best this time of year. I have checked the thread of the tyres and pressure and both seem fine.. any other mechanical or techincal you guys aware of that can be causing this? Any help appreciated.. thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
traction control kicking in?

u can get a small amount of wheel spin before traction joins in, and then u will notice a loss in power as it takes it away from the spinning wheels.

u might not have ASR, so i could be completely wrong :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
That's where four wheel drive comes in...!

Used to spin the wheels of my mk3 GTI 16v all the time and that had very little torque!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Im spinning all over the place at the minute to. Brum roads maybe ? Or amount of tread on your tyres ?

Another Brummie. woohoo we'll be taking over soon.

·
99 Ronnie
2,792 Posts
Why complain, its great fun, even with the ESP still left on and the light flashing away, I've had the car doing strange drifts on unevenly cambered bends and very smooth wheelspins without all the nasty wheel hop. Enjoy the lack or traction, you'll get plenty once winter has passed and won't be able to enjoy all the slidey action any more!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 08/12/2004 11:15:13

That's where four wheel drive comes in...!

Used to spin the wheels of my mk3 GTI 16v all the time and that had very little torque!

I manage OK in my FWD 1.8T, people just need to realise that the accelerator pedal is not an ON/OFF switch!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Gonna mainly be the roads, and perhaps a heavy foot [;)]

My 2.0 has bog all torque and no ESP/ASR stuff and just mild provocation creates slip

·
Registered
811 Posts
it is to do with your tyres ...... sure the torque is the deciding factor , but better tyres grip better too. Just dont stamp on the throttle, feed in the boost until your rolling properly.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quote: posted by Essex Escy on 08/12/2004 21:54:20

mind you, if you know when its coming, especially on roundabouts, ITS FUN!!

roundabouts are fantastic, getting a nice bit of drift going. That said when I get into the RWD less provocation is needed b4 oversteer occurs [;)][:O]

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It's just a matter of technique. Roads in Blighty are not as slippery as the ones here when they're wet. I've found that I need at least 2000 rpm in the wet before the wheels will start spinning.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by crad on 08/12/2004 19:00:26

OH well its that time of the year for you fwd boys, no probs here pullin away [:D]

Here here!!! *Happy in my 4WD smugness* [:D][:eek:)]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts