Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now i have revo when i floor it i get a stuttering wheel spin which is great, but when i do this in the wet the whole car kinda rattles, is this just the tyres spinning and then gripping and then spinning again? it dont feel good for the car when it happens. does any one else get this??

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think its called bunny hopping, ive had it happen to me a few times i think its due to worn wishboune or dog mounts if i remeber correctly someone who knows more about this will be along to correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think its called bunny hopping, ive had it happen to me a few times i think its due to worn wishboune or dog mounts if i remeber correctly someone who knows more about this will be along to correct me if im wrong.
why does it ony happen in the wet if it is the wish bones?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yah this is it! just what i get its very annoying! do you find that in the wet acceration is crap, i could not get no traction last night!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
You do need to replace the dog bone mount - get a powerflex one and it
will be much improved. It can still occur but won't be as bad.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok cool ill look in to that, what is the cause of the banging is it the vibration from the wheels griping then loosing grip?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thanks, i havnt changed the wheels but i guess this is quite a common thing!?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
or

You could try turning ya traction control off and see if it is the same ,

as i think ya might find that ya traction control is trying its best to stop the wheels from spinning hence the juddering wheel spins [:)]

or buy a 4mo total traction no matter what the weather [;)] lol

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Yeah thats helps but doesn't cure the problem completely. I suffer from the same problem. Its just the sheer power on hard exceleration. Take your foot off the power when accelerating.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah thats helps but doesn't cure the problem completely. I suffer from the same problem. Its just the sheer power on hard exceleration. Take your foot off the power when accelerating.
Mine does the same, a good friend of mine works for VW (and before that Audi) and apparently most of the

FWD quicker VAG cars do it...

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
its the traction control, and if you continue spinning, the traction control will sap all the power away, so you can get grip. most annoying.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
its the traction control, and if you continue spinning, the traction control will sap all the power away, so you can get grip. most annoying.
It's just too much power with too little grip. Mine doesn't have traction control and does it if I leather it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Can't see it being 'sheer power' as i get all the time in my 2.0 (115).......

I'm not even taking booting it in the wet, i mean slight, ever so slight accleration. As someone said, sounds like a VAG thing to me. Never had it in any cars (and a lot more powerful without traction and fwd). It will increase if it's slightly uphill, ie weight pushed further to the rear of the car.

I wouldn't even chance coming into a slightly downhill roundabout too fast in the wet in the Golf. (4mot excluded).

Never liked the grip in this car - and that's with good tyres. Dunno, another sh!tty thing with the standard setup to me anyway.......

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's just too much power with too little grip. Mine doesn't have traction control and does it if I leather it.
What a 115bhp car getting on for a ton and half - hardly rocket boost here? The car feels quite torquey (not the fawlty towers place) and will easily wheelspin in the dry at >40 say if i try changing from 2nd to 3rd (and beyond)........but still.

My alfa 156 (2.0), had a lot more poke than the golf (and better setup in general) never did it (just for example as it was a recent car). The alfa seemed to have a proper suspension setup which the Golf doesn't.

The Golf is VERY nose heavy as well at roundabouts and can easily scare in the wet if you never knew what you were doing. You would think it would be too light at the front to cause the hopping if anything. Leaving a roundabout in 2nd, i wouldn't even put my foot to the floor gawd knows what it must be like in a strong 1.8t/diesel without traction. It's probably the all round crap suspension (standard) i think anyway.

I must say, the Golf to me doesn't *feel* the safest car i've ever driven in the wet tbh - just feels a bit twitchy.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Can't see it being 'sheer power' as i get all the time in my 2.0 (115).......

I'm not even taking booting it in the wet, i mean slight, ever so slight accleration. As someone said, sounds like a VAG thing to me. Never had it in any cars (and a lot more powerful without traction and fwd). It will increase if it's slightly uphill, ie weight pushed further to the rear of the car.

I wouldn't even chance coming into a slightly downhill roundabout too fast in the wet in the Golf. (4mot excluded).

Never liked the grip in this car - and that's with good tyres. Dunno, another sh!tty thing with the standard setup to me anyway.......
That's strange that it does it even with slight acceleration. So it does this all the time just driving around normally ?

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
What a 115bhp car getting on for a ton and half - hardly rocket boost here? The car feels quite torquey (not the fawlty towers place) and will easily wheelspin in the dry at >40 say if i try changing from 2nd to 3rd (and beyond)........but still.

My alfa 156 (2.0), had a lot more poke than the golf (and better setup in general) never did it (just for example as it was a recent car). The alfa seemed to have a proper suspension setup which the Golf doesn't.

The Golf is VERY nose heavy as well at roundabouts and can easily scare in the wet if you never knew what you were doing. You would think it would be too light at the front to cause the hopping if anything. Leaving a roundabout in 2nd, i wouldn't even put my foot to the floor gawd knows what it must be like in a strong 1.8t/diesel without traction. It's probably the all round crap suspension (standard) i think anyway.

I must say, the Golf to me doesn't *feel* the safest car i've ever driven in the wet tbh - just feels a bit twitchy.
To get wheel hop (such as has been described above) I have to leather it in first, maybe second. Then, it happens. Certainly doesn't happen just driving normally, as you say, from 2nd to 3rd gear. Strange that and I have a 1.8t with about 150 ish, so you'd think it would happen to me more often than yourself, not vice versa ! I do have the forge dog bone bushes, so that will help, but even so !

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nah, not really Dan. It's a very easy car to wheelspin even in the dry, not just settting off either. Wont hopp so much in the dry but roundabouts there is farrrr to much roll in the standard setup and it's not supporting the weight of the car/momentum properly. (Lets face it, they aren't light cars)

TBH, i just think it's the crap suspension which is highlighted in the wet especially. It's more likely the crap setup, put your foot down and the weight is getting transferered to the back of the car on gear changes/torque times etc??

I use the XR2i scenario. If you have ever driven one or seen one getting stolen (LOL), it's boot it in 1st quick gear change in 2nd and the rear bumper will almost scrape the ground as the car really jolts back and downward and the nose is sky high. Really front to back roll/weight shift.

Not a good example as it's a lighter car etc. My Golf drives like an XR2i being stolen, but probably slower[;)]

Not making it clear here but you might understand what i've written (i don't[:p]) I think my crap setup in the golf is highlighting a rubbish weight shift - ie not suporting the back enough maybe, relieving the front and hopping?? Just wanted to mention that i don't think it's a power thing so much maybe suspension.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ah right, yeah, well your setup might help. I don't really know the 1.8t setup that well (i know it 'has better' setup though) or the torque/power delivery. In my car anyway, i would say it's more low down grunt (150PD owners now p!ss themselves at this comment)

I do have a heavy foot at times[:p], but this isn't something i've just developed since owning the Golf, but in other cars i feel more confident. It's not a big problem as i'm aware of how easily the Golf would loose it if pushed in the wet. Know your limits and the car and all that. never had one crash yet though hence the deliberate care in the wet in this car. Just too easy to think, yip, power, weight, watch yerself. But people forget the supension (or lack of it) has a lot to do with it. Well almost all to do with it.

I know you take your shoes off on bouncy castles, so maybe i should try it in the Golf[:D]

My inlaws have a Clio and the suspension is a lot better than my Golf. It's a crap car, but better suspension LOL.

Sometimes i'll mess around with it in the wet to almost gauage it (as you do!). If you lived closer I could show you what i mean, but i think you are in Kent? (I was there last week again, love Kent, my favourite county i reckon)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts