Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few questions & posts about "Wheel wax / sealants", & always laughed & thought "whats wrong with normal wax"

So, I bought some Poor Boys Wheels Sealant to try out & see if its really any better than just a coat of NXT.

I started off by cleaning the wheels with shampoo, at the same time as the rest of the car I may add.

The after I'd gone for a blast around the block I took them off, each corner at a time (fitting the spare as security), I also changed the front > back & vise versa.

Upon removing the wheels I cleaned all the bits of Tar, Grease & any other crud still on them up with some brake cleaner, good stuff for disolving tar BTW.

Next I gave them a quick wipe over with NXT quick detailer, just to remove any brake cleaner left over.

The wheel sealant instruction say apply a coat of your favourite Polish/Wax, so I applied a coat of Klasse Sealant Glaze, with this being Acrylic I thought it would be the best for the extreme conditions the wheels have to endure.

Finaly, the Wheel Sealant, I applied 1 coat to the rear wheels & 2 coats to the fronts, as they always get very dirty, compaired to the rears.

I guess the key to stopping anything stick is a smooth surface, & the finsh left was ultra slick [Y]

Klasse SG

Posted Image

Posted Image

Klasse SG + Wheel Sealant

Posted Image

Not bad for 87,000 miles are they

Posted Image

Before & After

Posted Image

I also took the chance to dress the inside face of the tyres too, just to add a little extra protection to the rubber.

A worm's eye view

Posted Image

I've got quite a bit of driving to do this week, about 700 miles, so "wheel" see how good it is next weekend

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Looking good, really need to give my santas a proper clean as they aren't looking upto their usual standard atm.

Jace, how do you clean all 4 wheels in this weather, by the time i have done 1 my hands are sooo cold i can't carry on.......

[:(]

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Jase....

What make off brake cleaner did you use?

Is it better than alloy wheel cleaner for removing brake dust from the back off the wheel?

Cheers.

Martyn

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jase....

What make off brake cleaner did you use?

Is it better than alloy wheel cleaner for removing brake dust from the back off the wheel?

Cheers.

Martyn
I used AG wheel cleaner first along with a Megs wheel brush, only when I had the wheels off did I use the brake cleaner, I used Werth (spelling ?) stuff, just what I had kicking around the garage.

PS: Dont forget to apply some copper slip, else next time you'll struggle to get the wheel off, as it will have "seized" on.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Jace,

Bit of a cop out but i don't get alot of time to clean my wheels plus they are multispokes, Are there any spray wheel sealants available other than SupaGuard. I think i did see some CarPlan spray stuff but i'm a bit dubious.

Also unrelated to this topic can i grab your Paypal details so i can get some of the AutoGlym Autorinse off you.

Thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
165 Posts
Holy sheet. They look fantastic. Those pics show the true meaning of the word 'detailing'. I'll be interested to see a progress report on the Poorboys to see if you think it's needed on top of the Klasse.

TBH the 'before' pic didn't look that bad[:p]

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

what wold of been more interesting is one front wheel "sealed" with the poorboys, and one just nxt'd....

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've wiped my finger on the rim @ 6 o'clock position to give you an idea on how the crud & brake dust are sticking, or not as it should be.

125 Miles

Posted Image

275 Miles

Posted Image

I shall update the post again with more pictures in the next few days, once a few more miles have been covered.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
so what you thinking to it Jace?

Good?

Or does the brake dust normally come off like that?

What i do notice though, is that the brake dust looks quite even......mine seems to get "spots" in the corners. whereas that seems very even.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so what you thinking to it Jace?

Good?

Or does the brake dust normally come off like that?

What i do notice though, is that the brake dust looks quite even......mine seems to get "spots" in the corners. whereas that seems very even.
I cant really give an Honest answer yet, not enough miles done & wash time will tell too.

But as you can see, even now she's looking grim, so what she gona look like by sunday & an extra 400 miles god only knows[:'(]

Posted Image

Spots, like this on the rear one ?

Posted Image

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you can tell that thats "high speed" driving dirt by the way its "streamed" from the fornt wing back....
Honest officer, I never exceed the speed limit [;)]

I've looked at the "spots", I'm 99.9% sure thats Tar & Brake dust mixed, get some brake cleaner & a cloth on them, it should shift it with ease, or try some WW or AG wheel cleaner next time, thats very agressive.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i've used wonder wheels, and it shifted it after two applications since that thread.....however, considering how well my wheels are cared for, i'm surprised at the buildup you know.....

brake cleaner as in something from halfords is that?

only reason i ask is that dads mondeo wheels are CAKED in the stuff.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Not bad for 87,000 miles are they

Posted Image
They are absolutely Stunning J. they barely look like they've turned a corner ! My wheels have done 69 and a half k and look dreadful. Still, they didn't have a few years of care behind them though. Will get em refurbed once I get my fat fives on.

I've got quite a bit of driving to do this week, about 700 miles, so "wheel" see how good it is next weekend
Wheel see.... bmm bmm tssh.. 'e's 'ere all week ! [:p]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update: 695 Miles

I did a few extra miles over the weekend, some of which were high speed (on a private road [;)]) braking, bringing her down to regular speeds.

I keep updating the images through the week, I'm sure most wont do so many miles between washes, but I felt it wasnt worth washing her this sunday due to the rain, & the rain to follow over the next few days, it killed me not to wash her though.[:$]

Posted Image

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmm..............

so the brake dust wipes off.......

better than normal though?

cos i know my clayed/waxed wheels would do the same.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts