Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning to those with a bit of poke:

I got pulled over today and given a £120 fine and 3 points for my alloys. He told me the car was illegal, I asked "Why, sir?" (I should add I was terribly polite for the entire encounter) and he told me my alloys poked out too far and that he would issue me with a prohibition notice and I would have to put on normal rims and get it checked off, etc etc. At that point I should have kept my mouth shut, but I said that I thought that as long as the tread was under the arch (stretched tyres) it was okay? At that point he looked noticeably irritated, even though I said it in my weakest most polite voice ever, and said no, its not legal. He then told me he would call up VOSA and check. VOSA came back with a "Yes, as long as the tread is under the arch, its fine" - Pure elation for about 10 seconds - Then the policeman said, well they're poking out by nearly an inch. The VOSA man umm'd and ahh'd for a bit and said "well you could do him for Dangerous parts and accessories?"...

Do him... DO HIM?? Clearly someones out to meet their quota's.

So there you have it. £120 fine and 3 points. Oh, I should point out that £60 of that is for my license plate (German look), which probably set him off in the first place.

Its the first time I've been 'done' for anything. If I was a rich man, I'd probably try and contest the points in court. I don't care about the fine really, its the
points that piss me off. 3 years they sit on my license, not because I'm
a dangerous driver breaking speed limits and being reckless, but
because I got pulled over by a bored cop in a bad mood.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Surely he'd have to prove they were dangerous?

I doubt you'll be able to do anything unless you go to court though, it's not like they'll negotiate down the police station.

·
Registered
533 Posts
That is bullsh*t! You spend your hard earned cash making your car look the way you want it, keep within the speed limit, tax, mot'd and insured and then they do something like this!

Sorry to hear it dude!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Real sorry to hear this mate, this is a disgrace, that's all there is to it! 3 points is a bit harsh, too, shouldn't they have issued you with a warning first or something?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Real sorry to hear this mate, this is a disgrace, that's all there is to it! 3 points is a bit harsh, too, shouldn't they have issued you with a warning first or something?
Yeh, i've been pulled over for having an exhaust that wasn't attached at the back before.. the backbox had just come off its rubbers.

Surely that would count as a "dangerous part". They just gave me one of those notes you have to get signed off by a garage.

Scares me stories like this [:(]

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You play the game you have to take the possible consequences... but the motor vehicle regulations act of 1996 states in section 18 paragraph
2 subsection D that the front face of a wheel on the vertical plane may
protrude from the wheel arch/mudguard a maximum of 30mm but the tyre
tread must be covered

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You play the game you have to take the possible consequences... but the motor vehicle regulations act of 1996 states in section 18 paragraph
2 subsection D that the front face of a wheel on the vertical plane may
protrude from the wheel arch/mudguard a maximum of 30mm but the tyre
tread must be covered
I absolutely accept that I was in the wrong and I'll pay the fine. I just think the points are excessive. Its clearly not a 'Dangerous part'. Also, the face of my rim sticks out 32ish mm. So for the sake of 2/3 mm...? I know the law has to be certain and exact and if I took it to court, that's what they'd say, but it annoys me that the policeman couldn't have used his own judgment.

And thanks for the support guys [;)] I think I knew it would
catch up to me one day. I'm still going to keep my rims on. I'll
probably change the plates and just swap them over for shows. I maaay
possibly get my arches pulled out slightly by like 5-10mm just to make it 'properly' legal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts