Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just interested what wheel cleaners people use and what results they feel they get with them?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I was one of the 1st to try MUCK OFF when x-lite started making it back in the late 90's for bicycles, I knew Rex Trimnell very well actualy (RIP)

I used it on my road bike which had Campag Record on it, sprayed it all over the bike, went to fill my bucket, washed it off & then found the c/set was now a nice mottled satin silver , thanks god the groupset was a sample/freebie otherwise I'd have been really gutted instead of just angry.

Get a Galon of MWB & it'll last month's & months

http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=9129

·
Registered
228 Posts
Megiuars wheel brightener is the best stuff I've used by far [Y]
Please excuse my lack of cleaning product knowledge... dont tend to
bother but wife is thinking of selling Polo GTi so it needs a bit of a
spruce. This stuff work ok on the BBS split rims?

Thanks,

b6x

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I use Turtlewax Extreme Wheel Cleaner.

I clean them with sponge & water - get most of the muck off, then spray this stuff on and wait five - tar spots, brake dust, stains!!!!!, all just wipe off - bloody brilliant!! Look like new!

[:p]

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
I used Simoniz on my old alloys as it was going cheap at Tescos, did the job.

Just out of interest what, if any are suitable to use on A8 / polished / Diamond cut wheels?

·
Registered
125 Posts
i've used the turtle wax stuff as i found it in the garage, rinse the wheels, spray it and rub it in a bit, start the next one and go back and wash off and the wheels clean again. usually do it twice though as the brake dust at the rear is a bit of a pain

·
Registered
64 Posts
there is bondauto alloy wheel cleaner available over here. its really good and it has no acid in it. used it on the bbs's and the kahns and brought them up a treat [Y]

·
Registered
221 Posts
do you have to apply/spray the MWB and then scrub the wheels or does it take most of the muck off if left for a while then hosed off, its a pain in the ass getting down and scrubbing alloys especially when theyr only the standard 1s. and is it just  a case of pouring the liquid from the big tub into a spray cannister and spraying....Thanks

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I spray it on the wheels using a trigger spray bottle & then use a megs wheel brush to get in the back of the rim, then,once I have done that, I get my "wheel" sponge, putting some shampoo directly on the sponge, dip it in the bucket of hot water & then clean the wheels, then rinse off with a hose.

I do it a wheel at a time, takes about 5 min per wheel but the results are worth while, once rinsed I'll also spray some AGR on them for that extra shiny [:D]

If your wheels are really abused I think it will be hard work, & maybe you'll have to do them twice, but MWB is about the best your gonna get I'd say. Meg's suggest leaving it on the wheels for about 30 seconds before removing, but as you can dilute it, I guess the higher the mix ratio, the longer you could leave it, but then again, the higher the ratio, the weaker the mix [:S]

Some sample bottles of MWB on ebay here: [Y]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8054504512

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
do you have to apply/spray the MWB and then scrub the wheels or does it take most of the muck off if left for a while then hosed off, its a pain in the ass getting down and scrubbing alloys especially when theyr only the standard 1s. and is it just a case of pouring the liquid from the big tub into a spray cannister and spraying....Thanks
You can either spray on & pressure washer off, or do what Jace says above - both give superb results

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi,

Any reason why MWB shouldn't be used on the BBS splits? I know some cleaners aren't suitable.

Thanks in advance,

b6x

1 - 20 of 21 Posts