Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Just wondering if anyone knows when wheel clamping on private land becomes illegal. I know it was in the "freedoms act" which went through in November, but i don't know when it comes into effect.

I'm asking as i got clamped today. Jacked the car up and removed the clamp within two minutes.. but it's left some nasty scratches on my wheel [:(]

Oh.. and i now have a clamp in my boot...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nasty scratches [:(]... but still, i'll buy some paint with the money i saved!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Contact your local trading standards they should be able to advise you on the clamping situation, luckily you got out of it, wheel refurbs start from about £60-80 right?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Contact your local trading standards they should be able to advise you on the clamping situation, luckily you got out of it, wheel refurbs start from about £60-80 right?
I'm not too worried about the scratches, just glad i don't have to pay to get my car back!

I was planning on respraying the wheels myself soon, as they need doing.

Just wondering if anyone actually know when it becomes/became illegal to clamp. I cant seem to find out online!

I'm considering going to the police station to ask about it, and maybe hand in the clamp, just so i cant be done for stealing it!

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is the only guidance I can find:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/t_wheel-clamping_on_private_land.pdf

I looked this up recently as I live in a block of appartments where the parking is permit holders only. Parking has become a real nightmare since Crhistmas time with the car park filling up with people without permits despite the car park having a number of large, clearly visible signs! I can only assume that this is because that people assume that clamping on private land has been madse illegal, which it would appear is not the case.

After being left without a parking space on quite a few occasions as a result, I took the decision over the weekend to phone the land owner and request that they send their parking enforcement company over to do a bit of clamping.

I didn't like to do it, but was getting completely fed up knowing how much I fork out for my permit each year. There is one guy in a particular that drives a Boxster and has no permit and insists on either parking in a disabled bay or over two bays so he definitely deserves to get clamped!!!

P.S. not trying to suggests that you deserved to be clamped as I obviously don't know your situation!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts