Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all

I need a few opinions please.

I'm changing my OEM Bora 16's soon but want to know which wheels would look good in a 16".

I just think the Bora would to be too rough on anything bigger as I drive a lot of bad roads. I've been looking on performancealloys.co.uk at some of the reps. I like the RS4's and the RS6's on there and can get either of them for less than ?1K with 205/55/R16 tyres (Continental Premium Contacts or Dunlop SP Sport 01's)

Which do you guys reckon will look better in the 16's ?

At the moment multi spoke is winning for me and I think they look quite close to the originals

·
Registered
809 Posts
RS4 and RS6s won't look right in 16". You ought to consider maybe a set of Audi TT Comp 16"ers or even the Golf Monty2s which look quite good on a Bora. Would definately prefer to stick with OE myself as the wheels will probably be stronger, very important on bad roads. How about BBSs?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BBS's are out of budget and I think look bad in anything samller than 17's ! Have to say I'm not a fan of the TT comp's either. Not dynamic enough if you get my drift. Had considered Monty II's but seem to be expensive from VW and haven't seen a second hand set in good condition.

Very picky i know !!

·
Registered
809 Posts
How about V6 4MO wheels, or are they a bit plain for you aswell?!!

Wheels are always a difficult decision, and a very personal choice.

Easy to clean always wins my vote!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
lucky u aint closer ..i got a set of BBS rs2(similar to monty 2's)sitting doing nothing...there off my 2004 pd150..shame.can email u a pic if u want to know what they look like.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll give the local VWplace a ring tomorrow for the price on new Monty II's for a looky see.

Anyone got pics of them on a Bora ?

Cheers

Dec

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by dec on 07/03/2005 15:06:01

Can't say as I'm familar with the 4mo wheels.

My Bora before I changed the wheels...(Standard V6 Brands Hatch 16"s)

Posted Image

I can say in all confidence 17s are absolutely fine and you would hardly notice; I had them on my last Bora and had no complaints. When I changed, I had to ride around on stock 16"s for ages and HATED it - nice design, but comically small and just looked ridiculous, especially at the back. See that arch gap? You could stand up in it, and a 6.5 inch width just doesn't cut it on a wheel arch that big. I couldn't wait to get rid.

I HIGHLY recommend you look at an OEM 17" like a Santa Monica or Long Beach, which will give an excellent ride and improve the looks dramatically, not to mention giving you more grip.For the record, I drive an Audi Quattro Sportline on stock 17"s quite reguarly and the ride in that is considerably harder than in my 18" wheeled Bora. With decent tyres I think you would be fine and they just suit the cars proportions perfectly, but 17" OEM wheels will also do the job nicely.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Quote: posted by dec on 07/03/2005 15:06:01

Can't say as I'm familar with the 4mo wheels. I'll have a search around for some pics.

Found these on ebay. Are these the TT wheels you meant ?

They are quite nice

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72253&item=7959379578&rd=1

Nope, have a look on www.volkswizard.co.uk click on VAG Wheels, and the 16 inch TT Comps are at the bottom. V6 4MO ones at the top and a s election of others to look at too!

I would agree that 17s will be fine though. Had them on my old Leon Cupra and they improved all aspects of handling and didn't affect ride at all.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote: posted by klauster on 08/03/2005 11:49:47

just out of interest... anyone done Santa's on a Bora??

yes, my previous car:

Posted Image

plus there are at least a couple of bora members currently running Santa's.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Quote: posted by 02 Bora on 08/03/2005 12:30:13

Quote: posted by klauster on 08/03/2005 11:49:47

just out of interest... anyone done Santa's on a Bora??

yes, my previous car:

Posted Image

plus there are at least a couple of bora members currently running Santa's.

love it m8, really miss my santa's, I think that looks excellent

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers guys

Plaenty of food for thought.

Have to say the Brands Hatch are runnign best at the moment with the Monty II's in a clsoe second.

A large portion of this going to come down to price as it a necessity replacement due to my current wheels being buckled and in need of new tyres so i might as well do both at the same tiem to see if I can cut a deal.

I think the Brands Hatch look good on a dark car (mine is the dark green , i think it's called bright green though !)

Wonder how much it would cost to ship wheels from the UK ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts