Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the Meguiars cone shape one for in between spokes, i find it EXCELLENT as it also cleans the inside rim of the wheel, the flat bit you know?

Do any of you guys use them? Or other brands?

are they worth using?

·
Registered
936 Posts
i got a cheapy halfords one, does the job nicely getting into the gap in the tdi alloys but then my alloys arent in the best of condition. If i had a decent set then i'd be looking to use something else...

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would recommend a utility brush you get in a dustpan and brush set, like an Addis one, works a treat and you can clean the tyres with it easily.

I now use a Meguiar's for inside the wheel. It pulls out so much muck!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always been put off by how stiff some of the bristles can be [:S]
me too, but the megs one is REALLY soft, though the bristles feel "firm" to the hand, to a wheel, they are soft, i'm impressed my the megs one to be honest.

but, then again, thats on painted wheels.......on polished alloy or chrome, would I hold a different view???

*potential Group Buy by me if there is interest on the megs one*

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
On a few occasions I've used an old wooden spatula with a clean rag wrapped around the head but really there's no substitute for completely taking off the wheel and giving it a good going over. Obvioously that's not always practical. Might pop into Halfords after work and have another look at the Meg's brush, the insides of my wheels are filthy [:(]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I've always been put off by how stiff some of the bristles can be [:S]
me too, but the megs one is REALLY soft, though the bristles feel "firm" to the hand, to a wheel, they are soft, i'm impressed my the megs one to be honest.
I personally will continue to use a dedicated sponge for the outside face and between spokes, but on the inside rim, where the finish is not as glossy and won't be seen close-up anyway, I may be prepared to use a wheel brush in between wheel-off sessions.

Just imagine how much more a car must weigh when it's caked in crud in all nooks and crannies [:|]

·
Registered
918 Posts
How quick a group buy?  And what sort of discount?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
GB? They're only ?6.99 from Halfords, I bought one 30 minutes ago... surely the postage would outweigh it?

So, I've got a few hours until it's dark, do I wash my car and test this brush, or fit, test and document my new EIP dog bone, decisions...

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I have the same megs one and its really good, defo worth using one!

I like the way the end of it has a rubber tip on so you dont scratch the paint [Y]

·
Registered
291 Posts
Megs all the way!

Didn't see the point of a brush really until I bought one from Halfrauds, wouldn't go without it now.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Used mine this morning with nothing more than a random cocktail of Zymol and Autoglym shampoo and cold water, it got rid of a hell of a lot of muck from inside my wheels. I was in a rush else I'd have used hot (ish) water. The rears, which always get much dirtier anyway, were easier and came up cleaner, thereby proving the effectiveness of alloy wheel seal (I used Metal Mate AQ on them about a year ago and never got time to do the fronts).

However, I remain slightly concerned about the bristles when going through the spokes. Normally I use a dedicated sponge on the outside of the wheel, together with the very soft brush that comes with Wonder Wheels. I personally would not use this Meg's wheel brush on a regular basis without some form of protection between the spokes, maybe just a folded sheet of corrugated plastic envelope stiffener type stuff as I go around.

Put it this way: if your wheels have a quality of finish as good as the car's paintwork, would you use this brush on the car or the wheels? [:S]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Used mine this morning with nothing more than a random cocktail of Zymol and Autoglym shampoo and cold water, it got rid of a hell of a lot of muck from inside my wheels. I was in a rush else I'd have used hot (ish) water. The rears, which always get much dirtier anyway, were easier and came up cleaner, thereby proving the effectiveness of alloy wheel seal (I used Metal Mate AQ on them about a year ago and never got time to do the fronts).

However, I remain slightly concerned about the bristles when going through the spokes. Normally I use a dedicated sponge on the outside of the wheel, together with the very soft brush that comes with Wonder Wheels. I personally would not use this Meg's wheel brush on a regular basis without some form of protection between the spokes, maybe just a folded sheet of corrugated plastic envelope stiffener type stuff as I go around.

Put it this way: if your wheels have a quality of finish as good as the car's paintwork, would you use this brush on the car or the wheels? [:S]
Perhaps a dedicated wheel mitt then, Mr L ?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I like your thinking [Y]

Mind you, I just remembered I still have a special sponge stashed away not used yet - I had planned to use it specially for the outer face and spokes. I must dig it out.

Posted Image

·
Registered
918 Posts
'Too many jokes.  Must mock.  Argggghh yer killing me man.'

1 - 19 of 19 Posts