Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what your saying but not all garages have a press and I remember my brother doing loads of them on various cars on the driveway. I just wanted to save myself some labour costs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
They can be a real pig with a press, wouldnt want to try without. also invest in a new hub when you do it, £30 ish, i found a few when i went to put back together the hub rattled in the new bearing due to being worn.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't know how you'd go about doing a wheel bearing without a press! I replaced the bushes in my front wishbones using a vice, and ruined the vice while doing the first one, I suspect a bearing is an even tighter fit.

There are two garages in the same village as me, when I needed to do my last wheel bearing, I took it off, walked around to the garage with it in hand and passed them a tenner to press out and press in the new bearing, which I supplied. I didn't replace the hub and don't see the need to because it's the ball bearings inside that wear not the bearing to hub surfaces. You could potentially replace it though for your own piece of mind.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I didn't replace the hub and don't see the need to because it's the ball bearings inside that wear not the bearing to hub surfaces. You could potentially replace it though for your own piece of mind.
Thats how worn they were, 1 was so worn it took out the abs sensor! Plus it saves removing the bearing 1/2 lol

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
getting the old hub out can be done with a hammer, a bolt and a hub nut (sits on the back of the hub perfectly). The bearing needs a VERY large bolt, and some thick metal plates to wind out.

Ive done 3 bearings now, each time, ive removed the whole knuckle, removed the hub and bearing myself, up the shed. Then taken it into work to have the new bearing pressed in (using the old bearing).

Remember to put the new circlip in! and to support the INNER race of the bearing, when pressing the hub in.

Its a real PITA the first time, piece of cake once you've got a technique down.

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
i used a 5mm steel plate, bracket thing, ground down to fit snug up against the bearing... words cannot describe, so heres a picture of the ironmongery me and my dad put together, for a DIY BEARING PULLER! (any excuse to use my new camera [:p])

Posted Image

Posted Image

hope that gives you an idea. you get an idea of the force required by the bend it but of BOTH of those steel plates. smaller bolts strip the thread. its a lot of force required - i could have got it pressed out, but where the fun!!!

i cant remember where the massive bearing is from, but a wheel bearing fits inside it, so makes an ideal spacer, as do the 'wheel spacers' my dad got off ebay - they are made of steel, and shocking quality, hence being used for this.

EDIT: Just noticed how old this thread is [doh]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts