Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was planning to upgrade my golf mk5 standard 15" wheels however i need some advice because im confused.

I was thinking to get 18" genuine vw shadow monzas however i am worried about the performance of my car after this upgrade. Would the acceleration of the car decrease significantly and would the fuel consumption increase significantly what figures are we looking at ?

I am also thinking about 17" genuine vw classix, but looks wise i prefer the monzas, would there be a significant difference between these two alloys, which one would be heavier would decrease the acceleration?Any help would highly be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
all depends on the weight of the wheels really. if u put on new wheels and they are heavier, then youll use more fuel and go slower. im sure someone who knows the weights of these wheels will be allong soon to help.

bump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah thanks for the reply I hope someone can tell me weight difference between the 17" classix's and the 18" monzas (both genuine vw) and the acceleration difference

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think im going to go for the 17" classix i just think the 18" monzas have many problems e.g white worm, price of alloys, tyre price, performance etc 17" classix will be perfect i guess and i saw them on a golf today they really look cool. Any other suggestions?
EDIT: where can i find 17" genuine vw classix? and would they fit straight onto my golf mk5 1.9 tdi?

·
Chief Troll
15,990 Posts
Ebay is your best bet, and yes they will go straight on no problems.

Very wise move avoiding the Monza 18", they are so dear to get refurbed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah thanks for that it was a hard decision but i figured i cant give up acceleration even if its the slightest bit for a slight better look plus like you said they are so dear to get refurbed. I am looking on ebay however cant seem to find anything what keywords should i seach for in particular?

thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts