Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Thought it would be interesting to compare mileage and other related information, i was going to say all mk4s but for a more simple comparison i just want to keep this thread to the 1.8 turbo 20 valve engine versions, just thought it would interesting what sort of mileage, power and reliabilty people are getting with this particular engined Golf, just had mine remapped at 100k.

Just car year

type, ie gti 150, 180, anni

Mileage

Power, how long for and what remap etc if applicable

Any other comments you would like to add, ie reliabilty with your respective mileage, how the car feels and goes, state of modifcation.

i'll start

1999 AGU GTI

103000miles

195hp 220 torque by chipped uk, no other mods engine wise.

Owned the car since June and done 10k in it, it drives like new still, had to replace Maff and N75 valve plus usual servicing in that time.

Had a remap a few weeks ago at 100k, very impressed how well its taken to it at that kind of mileage, had a slight problem that previous owner had removed the fuse for the N75 valve (turns out it was not faulty in the first place) went from 133hp (with fuse out), then 188hp (still with fuse out) but only 186 ft/lb torque then realised lack of fuse problem and got 195hp and 220 torque.

Carry on

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
2001 AUM GTI

74,000 miles

207bhp. Had it revo'd 6,000 miles ago and havnt looked back.

Im just wondering when i come to sell her when she is at 100k+, if there is much interest from buyers and how much i could sell it for say in 3 years time at 100k miles.

I see on autotrader and the like that cars with my spec still go for around 5.5-6k quid.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Hi guys

Thought it would be interesting to compare mileage and other related information, i was going to say all mk4s but for a more simple comparison i just want to keep this thread to the 1.8 turbo 20 valve engine versions, just thought it would interesting what sort of mileage, power and reliabilty people are getting with this particular engined Golf, just had mine remapped at 100k.

Just car year

type, ie gti 150, 180, anni

Mileage

Power, how long for and what remap etc if applicable

Any other comments you would like to add, ie reliabilty with your respective mileage, how the car feels and goes, state of modifcation.

i'll start

1999 AGU GTI

103000miles

195hp 220 torque by chipped uk, no other mods engine wise.

Owned the car since June and done 10k in it, it drives like new still, had to replace Maff and N75 valve plus usual servicing in that time.

Had a remap a few weeks ago at 100k, very impressed how well its taken to it at that kind of mileage, had a slight problem that previous owner had removed the fuse for the N75 valve (turns out it was not faulty in the first place) went from 133hp (with fuse out), then 188hp (still with fuse out) but only 186 ft/lb torque then realised lack of fuse problem and got 195hp and 220 torque.

Carry on
2000 AGU 1.8T GTI

61700ish miles

c.200bhp with Revo map, SMIC, Forge TIP, Samco hoses, Green cotton airfilter, Forge DV007 diverter valve, milltek turbo-back exhaust, audi tt short shifter

I've owned this car since 2002, and 21k. Had the remap for 20k now, and with the addition of other mods after (312mm brakes, koni fsd's), the car feels so much better than when I bought it! Can't beat the remap though, for the feeling of such a major difference to the car!

Quite a lot of the work I have had done to the car realtively early is preventitive maintenance (new cambelt/uprated waterpump at 50k), new MAF, new coolant temp sensor (under warranty). Still need to fit new window regs, but the main problem with mine has been the door locks! Had the drivers side front and drivers side rear passenger locks replaced after they jammed (over ?700 at VW). Front passenger door is currently locked shut with the same problem....

Apart from these niggles, its been a fab car!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Engine Code: AUM

Mileage: 56600

Remap: Custom Code at ~52000 miles

DV: Forge 007P

Coilpacks: Revision L

Temp Sender: Green top 14 months old

MAF: 6 months old

Power: absolutely no idea but it drives like a good'un [:D][y]

To do: Cambelt & waterpump very very soon

·
Registered
351 Posts
1998 AGU GTI

132,000 miles

Standard 150bhp have owned since June, travelled 4000 miles since purchasing. No mods engine wise.

Replaced MAF, all filters and oil. Runs like a car half its age, just yesterday beat a BMW 323i and my car had four passengers (five including me). I'm thinking more and more my previous owner may have had it chipped.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great input so far guys

I think Golfs hold there value better than most even with high miles, i bought mine for ?4400 with 93k on it but i considered that cheap for one in mint condition.

Funny that door locks have been mentioned my car previous to my ownership shows in the service history a door lock problem, a door lock was replaced and now i have 2 keys and 1 works one door the other works the other door, bit annoying but expensive to sort i beleive.

If you think your 150hp Gti goes well its most likely been tweaked [:D]

It seems Volkswagen are incredibly consistent even when it concerns weaknesses, if a part is made it is all made to the same exact specification, whether it be good or bad.

I think now we know all the main weaknesses preventative maintainance is essential and why this forum is so usefull to us, we all replace the common faulty parts as a matter of routine, not to say i think there unreliable cars they just require better maintainance than Volkswagens very long and optimistic service schedules would have us believe, keep to a more normal schedule (like the older Golfs) and its all good.

There is nothing in my service history which mentions window regs, as this is a common problem i am surprised my car has seemingly got away with it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
132000 miles and going strong, impressive, just proves its possible and its a great engine in there, i bet there is much higher milers rolling about, and some really low ones too.

·
Registered
842 Posts
ok,

september 2000 1.8tubro gti AUM

59,000 miles

no remaps just a k&n induction kit.

other bits, alloy engine cap covers, crome wing mirrors, and crome boot enterance guard on the rear bumper,

cambelt and full service tomorrow (deep joy)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok,

september 2000 1.8tubro gti AUM

59,000 miles

no remaps just a k&n induction kit.

other bits, alloy engine cap covers, crome wing mirrors, and crome boot enterance guard on the rear bumper,

cambelt and full service tomorrow (deep joy)
Yep my cars got its second cambelt on wednesday, (deep joy indeed) better safe than sorry though hey, to think the original interval was meant to be 120k for the 1st belt change [:O]

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
W Reg 2000 ARZ GTI

62k odd

Forge divertor valve

Had to replace damn coilpacks a while ago but is now running sweet and also a lambda probe.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
1999 AGU GTI

82.000 miles

bought 2 years 4 months had 42.000 miles on. got 161bhp now with 2.5" down pipe/decat and system.

Replaced MAF twice, all filters and oil regular, need a big service now. and gettin big turbo upgrade fingers crossed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
1999 AGU GTI 150bhp
67,000 miles roughly.

No mods as of yet, only had the car since September. Had the cambelt replaced 2 days ago at MidlandVW, as it wasn't in the service history.

Love the car and its runs great, however I have a real problem with the steering. Bearing to the left and very sloppy, im hoping its something like the bushes as I cannot put up with this forever [:(]

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Engine Code - AUM (2001)

Mileage - 43,000

Cost - Up for 7 got it for 6.7

Mods - Full 3dr R32 ali trim, New TURBO badge from "Golfturbo" a must for us lot, Anni GTI front grill badge, colour coded rear VW and valances (v6 front), remap from chippeduk (210bhp - 270Nm torque), Air filter, Forge 007 DV.

When i first started looking for a Gti (before being on here) i knew i wanted Leather Interior but had no idea they could be RECARO or Volkswagen sport seats. When i first viewed the motor i see they were the Recaros and when i found out they were heated, well...[Y]

As i said she has only done 43k because she was only used by the fellas missus taking the kids to school (not sure if thats a good thing though) lol. So far the window clips have decided to break since i bought the car (April this year). I had to change the battery aswell recently...

Really happy with the car and can see myself with it for a few more years [crosses fingers].

Carl [:D]

Good idea for a thread mate

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep i thought it would be a good thread, snapshots of peoples cars and experiences, hopefully i will be able to put together some interesting information from it all at the end for easy comparison.

And yeah the interior is certainly the best bit, I think the mk4 was certainly Volswagens finest moment in Golf interiors so far, the seats, the blue dials, the cup holders lol [:D]

The standard stereo is also very good, especially the speakers including there positioning and mounting, well thought out indeed, the rear speakers have a subwoofer box type space to sit in with surrounding foam and sound deadening, hence a good bit of mid bass available from them.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I should be getting some gen Santa Monicas this week aswell so its coming along nicely.

Need to buy a good camera and get some pics on here.......

·
Registered
850 Posts
2002 1.8T AUQ 180

Bought it when it was on 59k miles in May06

At the mo its on 67k

Revo'd on around 60k

Cambelt, water pump done on 60k service.

Great to hear these 1.8T's are still going strong on 130k + miles as I always get a bit uncomfortable driving high miler car!!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
1999 AGU

gti 150

Few Tweeks and unsure of power, see sig.Car has been running fine, and only had to maintain and change the usual things
like window regs and maf.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Like I stated my AGU has done 132,000 and the car runs perfectly. I had the cambelt and waterpump changed on 131,800 and the battery and starter motor have also needed replacing. People really cannot believe the milage of my car until I tell them, it's very quiet and refined and it can move despite not having been tuned (apparently) I kept up with a 4motion up until 50mph and I made a fool out of a BMW 323i. I'm curious now as my mate said to me the previous owner may have chipped it, and it does seem fairly rapid. All you AGU/AUM/ARZ owners have nothing to worry about, as long as your car is maintained properly you should have no real problems with your car.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
2004 180bhp AUQ GTi

20,000 Miles
Bought 2 Weeks Ago got a turboback 2.5" Blueflame High Flo Cat System , Carbonio so i guess its near 200bhp.
getting a custom remap in january, still not sure who to go with.

Keep hitting limp mode i think my turbo inlet hose is compressing so im getting samco hoses & may as well do the DV at the same time

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
1998 GTi AGU

74,800 ish

Mods: Full milltek, Evoms CAI, Forge DV, Anni red calipers with 312 mm drilled discs front and 232mm drilled rears. Green stuff up front, mintex on the back.

Forge SMIC, dogbone poly bushes, US tails, tints, enfig antenna, armrest, parrot bluetooth, led sidelights.

Power: somewhere between 148 and 167.5 bhp. two rr's, two opposite ends of the scale results.

Probs: couple of coilpacks gone.. maybe just one I can't remember. New battery on saturday, 9/12/06. Window regulators, gearbox mount, think rear bushes need doing and poss arb bushes too. Had cambelt, water pump and tensioner done oct 04. Had new temp sender earlier this year (2006).

Seems to be going okay, no major problems, just the usual wear and tear and normal mk4 golf problems ! Upcoming: rims, suspension, remap, brakes.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts