Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly sure its not supposed to look like this [:I][:eek:)] Does anyone know what it is / what caused it? cheers

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
looks like your battery is leaking IIRC I wouldnt touch that white stuff as its most probably acidic (harmful to skin and eyes).

Get the battery changed asap !

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Could just be a bit of corrosion on the terminal? I'd clean the terminal (as nudda says probably harmful, so protect ya eyes and skin) put some form of terminal protecting grease on and see if it comes back? Probably won't.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers to both of you [^]

I'll clean it ASAP and if it comes back again, new battery. Nice one

·
Registered
181 Posts
It does look like alittle leakage 2me, like they've said id just take care and clean it up, remove your conections (make sure you know the radio code first mind!) clean up and seen as not that many people have conductive grease to hand put some vassoline over the conections. then just keep an eye on it mate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is not a leak from the battery, its the dreaded LURGY!

Seriously though it happens a lot, especially in damp conditions. I believe its caused by ELECTROLYSIS. That is 2 different metals (i.e: lead from the battery post and copper from the terminal lug)in contact with each other when an electric current is passed through them.

Just remove the corrosion with a wire/copper brush (best remove the battery from car as it's messy). you can use warm water and a cloth/sponge to finish off. make sure the terminal is dry and refit to car. now the important bit: Coat both clean terminals with VASELINE (Petroleum Jelly), and this will keep the grunge away and no need for new (EXPENSIVE) battery.

Good luck....PAT [:D]

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by SoftailPat on 17/12/2004 01:09:11

This is not a leak from the battery, its the dreaded LURGY!

Seriously though it happens a lot, especially in damp conditions. I believe its caused by ELECTROLYSIS. That is 2 different metals (i.e: lead from the battery post and copper from the terminal lug)in contact with each other when an electric current is passed through them.

Just remove the corrosion with a wire/copper brush (best remove the battery from car as it's messy). you can use warm water and a cloth/sponge to finish off. make sure the terminal is dry and refit to car. now the important bit: Coat both clean terminals with VASELINE (Petroleum Jelly), and this will keep the grunge away and no need for new (EXPENSIVE) battery.

I concur... not leakage. You are most correct my friend!![:D]

·
Registered
646 Posts

Coat both clean terminals with VASELINE (Petroleum Jelly), and this will keep the grunge away and no need for new (EXPENSIVE) battery.

Just gonna say the same thing!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Quote: posted by Ricardo on 17/12/2004 02:11:22

Coat both clean terminals with VASELINE (Petroleum Jelly), and this will keep the grunge away and no need for new (EXPENSIVE) battery.

b*gger beat me to it..[B)][:D]

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
excellent advice, cheers everyone [:D] will tackle it tomorrow after I have procured some vaseline

I don't have the standard radio, but if I remove the battery temporarily, will this affect the alarm / keys in any way? [:I] Sorry for all the q's but I haven't had the battery off before on a mk4. Cheers

·
Registered
581 Posts
it shouldn't affect the alarm or keys but the one touch windows wont work when you reconnect the battery. after moving your windows up and down they magically work again though. does anyone know why this happens?

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Quote: posted by turbo paul on 18/12/2004 02:15:13

it shouldn't affect the alarm or keys but the one touch windows wont work when you reconnect the battery. after moving your windows up and down they magically work again though. does anyone know why this happens?

I was worried when my one touch windows didnt work, then i did what you said , and hey presto, working one touch windows!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Quote: posted by j40hnw on 18/12/2004 17:48:24

the safest way to beat this is with a kettle filled with hot water just pour over and watch it shift

yep was gonna say that myself then just use a little paint brush and some copper grease to stop it happening again

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for all the advice. I did the hot water method, dried it all off, went for a drive, and then liberally applied Vaseline to both terminals. Hopefully this will keep the white stuff at bay!

cheers everyone

Pat

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi

I had the same problem

Used the hot water /vaseline method under advisement from the "Nice AA man" who did know what he was talking about. Some of these recovery guys all they know is how to tow the car away, well thats another issue anyway

1 - 20 of 20 Posts