Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just to cover up the ugly bits or does it serve a purpose?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Cover ugly bits, keep things slightly cleaner underneath.

On a fair few cars, including mine, it also acts as the air box.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Or in the case of certain Mk4s, it also contains the airbox. It's also there to improve pedestrian collision survivability.

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
It's also there to improve pedestrian collision survivability.
lol if they manage to get through the inner frontbumper and somehow tear through the bonnet i don't think they'll survive... i think that that sudden metal diet will put an end to their existence... also they'll end up being cooked by the heat of the engine... BBQ anyone?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's also there to improve pedestrian collision survivability.
That's going to need some explanation...

There's a good amount of metal going to be meeting with a pedestrian before that 3mm thick piece of plastic residing between bonnet and engine gets there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's the precursor to the pedestrian survival features built in to more modern cars (I forget the name of the NCAP standard). The result was car design with bulging bonnets and shallow rake windscreens & A-pillars. The aim is to scoop a pedestrian onto the bonnet and stop their heads from hitting the windscreen. Impact with engine components close to the bonnet skin (intake manifolds) etc is dissipated by an engine cover.
Plus, of course, it's designed to intimidate the home mechanic and encourage her to take the car to the stealers instead :)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My inlet manifold would stick a dent in your frontal lobe long before you took a look at my engine cover.
And the bonnet latch would pave the way.

·
Registered
449 Posts
lol if they manage to get through the inner frontbumper and somehow tear through the bonnet i don't think they'll survive... i think that that sudden metal diet will put an end to their existence... also they'll end up being cooked by the heat of the engine... BBQ anyone?
Hahaha! There'll be a roast dinner should they end up on mine. Gravy anyone?

To be honest though, it does seem a bit like putting a mattress behind a wall in terms of safety. I doubt either that or the bin lid they fit nowadays will do much for them should you hit someone. It's more to do with materials used, the angles and height of the front of your car. All an engine cover does is just protects it from water, dirt and bits of crap plus gives a bit of sound insulation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts