Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... To find the right car? I'm currently looking at buying, and have been looking solidly for about a month now at least! Online, offline, papers, magazines... You name it i've looked everywhere, infact i was still trawling the net at 3 o' clock this morning in another failed effort to try and find one and i am REALLY at my wits end now trying to find the right one! It seems like i'm never going to find one and since MK4's are one of the most common cars on the road, it begs the question.... Why can't i find one??! Has anyone else had to go through this hassle? [:(!]

Well, it's been a couple of weeks more now since this post started...

And the hair pulling out sessions are getting much MUCH worse! [:(!][:(!]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I'm going through the same ordeal! Been looking since mid November for an Anniversary and have seen nothing but dogs and wrecks [:(]

I've now given myself the deadline of March to find one, which is a blessing in disguise as the longer I wait the less I'll have to pay. I think the trouble is I know my MK4's too well, and I know what to look out for and how one should be treated... Guess I'm too fussy for my own good!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what i'm starting to think you know... That i'm too fussy! But let's face it when you're spending a fortune on a car that you're going to keep for years, i think you have the right to be fussy! Mind you, you have an advantage, like you say you know too much about MK4's, which is always a good thing, kinda like one of my mates on here, Pat. Who has, however been kind enough to help me look for a decent one so i appreciate that and he's gonna keep an eye out for me (what a nice chap!) [^]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
It is a lot of money to be spending so quite rightly you want the best! I remember when I was looking for my R this time last year I stuck to my guns and found the one I wanted.

Is that Pat from Yorkshire your on about btw? Top lad, knows his stuff![^]

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Quote: posted by ianhg on 28/12/2004 13:55:07

i have been looking for s3's since nov.

You should have bought mine!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I had the money sitting in my bank for a new car for almost 2 months... those who know me were suprised i hadn't spent it within a week!

I took my time looking, test driving loads and loads that i seen... and finally found one that suited me.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Its also down to money and circumstances,when my vr6 gave up a year before i wanted to get rid of it,i only had 6k to spend and didnt have the luxury of being able to take my time.As it was i found a 2000 1.8t at a local dealer with high mileage (98k)and full s/h .It was up for ?5999 but i managed to get it for ?5.5 leaving me enough for a cambelt change.3 months on and im still pleased with the car ok its not as i would have wanted mileage wise but it'll do me for a couple of years.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote: posted by Tabs on 28/12/2004 13:48:36

It is a lot of money to be spending so quite rightly you want the best! I remember when I was looking for my R this time last year I stuck to my guns and found the one I wanted.

Is that Pat from Yorkshire your on about btw? Top lad, knows his stuff![^]

Sure is, i know your a mate of his aswell, he's mentioned you before! I only live a couple of miles up the road from him. He's a good lad and definitely seems to know his stuff! [^]

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Someone mention my name?? [:I]

I waited about 2 months until I found the mk4 I own now, and it's still not entirely what I was looking for as I wanted climate, but the car was so straight I couldn't turn it down in the end. I haven't had a great deal of luck finding you one either Ryan but fear not we will find one in the end I am sure of it...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Know how you feel. Looked for 2 months before finding my Elise.

To make matters worse I have been waiting for my new company car since ordering it on 1st August, 5 months!! Now thats a joke, in the ideal world there's no way I would even consider getting one [:(]

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote: posted by Sem on 28/12/2004 14:22:18

would have done if yoy bought my tdi and your s3 was 225bhp

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Sometimes the ideal car just does not exist. As soon as you take the plunge, they all appear all of a sudden.

I can honestly say I have never owned an ideal car. They are never the right colour, or have the right options etc etc.

I recall looking for my Subaru. I looked at STi Type R's, STi's. WRX's and UK Turbo's. I was wary of buying the jap sourced imports so went for a UK car. I wanted dark metallic blue with a PPP. However when my silver one popped up at a steal, with low mileage, full Subaru history including optional bodywark services and in immaculate condition I could not refuse it.

With the money I saved, I put on a full Scoobysport system and a few other choice mods [^]. And to boot, I sold it for what I paid for it after a year [:D]

It is a good idea to be fussy, but you need to be reasonable at the same time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pah! Took me three years to find my M5 (original issue E28) - very few in the UK & even fewer surviving...

A

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
You still struggling mate, hang in there, the right car will turn up eventually. Had a look in Lookers in Burnley for you yesterday but they only have 2.0 GTi's in at the mo. They had a mk5 GTi in Anthracite tho [^] Let me know if you need a lift to go and look at any

·
Registered
614 Posts
WHY DO YOU WANT A 225 you can get a late 210 and then you can revo to 270 ish but if you get a 225 there only going to be the same 270 ishQuote: posted by ianhg on 28/12/2004 22:39:23

Quote: posted by Sem on 28/12/2004 14:22:18

would have done if yoy bought my tdi and your s3 was 225bhp

·
Registered
614 Posts
as well i been getting quotes on 225 S3 and 210s and it is ?1200 for 225 and ?700 for 210 why pay ?400 for 15bhp extra

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.