Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wondered if anyone can help with this but i was just wondering what the difference is between having the Airbox drilled and smoothed and a CAI (performance difference)?

Also it might be a stupid question but what is drilling and smoothing the Airbox?

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Just wondered if anyone can help with this but i was just wondering what the difference is between having the Airbox drilled and smoothed and a CAI (performance difference)?

Also it might be a stupid question but what is drilling and smoothing the Airbox?
Smoothing the airbox means to remove the internal ribbing, so the internal profile is as smooth as possible to allow a smoother, less restricted path for the air entering the box and travelling through it towards the maf.

Drilling it is to drill holes in it to allow more air to enter the box, though there is a degree of hot engine bay air that will get sucked in too.

I think there is some discussion/uncertainty (I remember it being discussed on a thread last year some time) around whether the ribbing is there to reinforce the airbox or to try and retard the progress of any moisture of water that may enter the airbox.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Thanks for that mate but whats the difference in performance from the drilled and smoothed air box and a full Cold Air Intake?

Where on the box do you drill?

Has anyone tried this at all?
As long as you duct in a lot of air from outside the car the performance should be about the same. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

The CAI also needs to be protected in bad weather conditions in order to prevent any rain/water being taken up via the Turbo. The Smooth Air Box should not really suffer from any problems. The drilling, I think is to put a couple of small holes in the base of the box, in order to allow any rain / moisture to escape, that gets brought up via the air ducting.<o:p></o:p>

With the Air Box you will lose the Turbo / CAI sound, which you probably like.<o:p></o:p>

I had a CAI and I switched to a heat shield and Induction kit, which I found gave the sound of the CAI but the protection of the Air Box

Posted Image

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that RS_GOLF so what your saying is that if i do the modified airbox il lose the dumping, recirc sound?

What if i modified the box in a similar way to how yours is with the heat sheild and used a cone filter instead of a panel filter would i get the sound?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Thanks for that RS_GOLF so what your saying is that if i do the modified airbox il lose the dumping, recirc sound?

What if i modified the box in a similar way to how yours is with the heat sheild and used a cone filter instead of a panel filter would i get the sound?
Yes, re box and losing sound? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I am unable to confirm what the sound would be like on the AGU?s, with the K03 turbo or that your car is running between 197-210bhp? as my car came with the K03s Turbo and the boost was remap?d and a bit higher to give me 245-253bhp.<o:p></o:p>

Viper ? Bolf man (Dan) - did his CAI sound similar to what yours sounds like, when he took you out in his car last night, if it did then I would say that the set up I had is prob what you are after, as Dan?s Bolf is tuned the same as mine.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeh mine sounds almost identical to his at the moment so id like to keep that sound but still keep give the modded box a go with a cone instead of the panel filter! do you think i would get that sound? I know you don't kow for sure!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yeh mine sounds almost identical to his at the moment so id like to keep that sound but still keep give the modded box a go with a cone instead of the panel filter! do you think i would get that sound? I know you don't kow for sure!
Jabba Sport sell a filter and heat shield for the AGU, it might be worth talking to them? I think it costs ?200+. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

The sound is more of a turbo spin up noise rather than a dump valve noise. It?s an excellent sound. It?s a shame I sold my car as I?d show you what it?s like.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Congrats on the old golf mate, ones of the nicest ones that were on here! How could you of sold it [:D]

Were you driving a silver golf up bluewater then?

Carl
Sadly No?. I was the guy with the long girly ginger hair?lol?lol?. In the French car?.. [:$]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Only in the Renault Clio until the end of winter I might add? not staying French for too long? the rattles from the car are doing my head in.<o:p></o:p>

Cheers for the comments on my car? I do miss it a lot, but it was time to change?.

Posted Image

You may see it around still as the new owner (49 year old women) lives in Welling and uses it all the time.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
That car is so nice.....

I think you only sold it a couple of weeks ago didnt you? About 2 months ago i think i see it down welling, OEM zenoms, CHs and LX plate? Thats the one, but the fella was driving up and down with his bass box going a goodun LOL hope that were nt you LOL [;)]

Matey i spoke to Joe before about a problem i get now in the car after having it remapped. The problem isnt the map itself i think its some kind of breathing issues that the car might have. When i accelarate soemtimes i get a little judder or when i take my foot off the pedal. I dont think its to do with the clutch or anything casue its not slippping? My hose from the top of my FORGE DV has nt got much give so this might be causing it. Joe what hose did you say i should buy again mate?

Sorry for the hi jack aswell fella!!! [:D]

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No worries, i thought it could be your vacuum hose mate going to the top of your DV cos its at quite a sharp angle and it could be causing it to choke a little? if you want mate pop to mine later tonight and il replace it for you iv got some spare hosing!

Then after seeing Dan's (silver Bolf) the other night which looks similar to yours it might not be that cos his ran fine! But it still might be worth changing it tho as they are prone to splitting and getting brittle!

Joe

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.