Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New to the forum (and Golf's) and looking to buy a mk 4 golf gt tdi 150 or a gti tdi 150.

My question is, is there any difference between the two types or are they one and the same ??

The dealers don't seem to be any help when I ask this question, and on the VW UK website there are gti tdi 150's and gt tdi 150's for sale, even though I assume they are one and the same.

Look forward to your replies.

Graeme.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Hi,

New to the forum (and Golf's) and looking to buy a mk 4 golf gt tdi 150 or a gti tdi 150.

My question is, is there any difference between the two types or are they one and the same ??

The dealers don't seem to be any help when I ask this question, and on the VW UK website there are gti tdi 150's and gt tdi 150's for sale, even though I assume they are one and the same.

Look forward to your replies.

Graeme.
You are correct, they are one and the same. Both will have a boot sticker of 'GTi TDi Exclu'.

The spec is exactly the same as a the 1.8T. sometimes badged as GTi silver or more correctly as TDi all red. If in doubt check the boot sticker. Try and get an '03 model as it comes with climate and esp (rather than traction).

read up on pusling cooling fans and make sure its been on the proper spec oil 505.01 upwards.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi there, and welcome. Not longed joined myself after buying a GTi TDI 150 bhp,I think it is just the level of interior... They are very rapid, good on fuel and always put a smile on yer face!!  Thinking of getting it remapped and up grade brakes abit, any suggestions for brakes would be welcome....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking for a silver low mileage 03 - 53, but the VW dealers want silly money, ordinary car dealers - don't trust 'em, and not many come up private.

At least with a VW dealer you get 1 years warranty and they are usually 1 owner cars with a good history.

·
Registered
58 Posts
what price is silly money? just curious coz i was considering selling mine but decided against it as i thought i wouldnt get back for it what i thought it was worth.just curious as to how much dealers want.cant be bothered looking at dealers websites for a value as i am bound to spot something i want.

·
Registered
58 Posts
VW Dealers are wanting from £11,000 to £13,500 for a 03 - 53 plate !!
well mines a 53 plate but absolutely top spec and i mean top spec as its got everything.i was considering getting a a4 cab but after looking in auto mart i thought mine was probably only worth 10 ish.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just bought my 52 plate from www.Nu-car.co.uk in southampton,Ex lease car with 70,000 one owner full VAG service history, RAC inspected got me mate who looks after my cars to look over it and could find nothing wrong with it at all.everything sorted..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice so far, anyone else know any different ??

I've seen quite a few with different badges on the back - tdi, gt tdi, gti, etc. Does that make a difference ??

I've also done a search and found out a bit more info.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Badging can be confusing, as said above, the 150 model is the same as the 1.8T in terms of trim and suspension. There are many discussion threads regarding badging, some are GT, GTi, only fool proof way to check is via the data sticker under the boot carpet. Apparently the dealers had to put on the badges hence the lack of continuity.

As I understand it (and I am no expert) the GT 130 model (as I have) is different in that it does not have the suspension set up that the 150 and the 1.8T have. Its trim is slightly different and is classed as 'highline' on the data sticker.

There do appear to be some odd trim examples about - perhaps imports - I have seen 'S' spec models for sale, advertised as 150bhp.

If you can, buy privately as you will knock about £3000 off the main dealer price. The difference being, if you buy from a dealer, as soon as you hand over the cash, you will loose money if you decided you wanted to sell, even a week later. If you buy privately then you could sell the car on again for a similar amount. I know private buying is more risky but if you are unsure, get a mechanical check done (RAC, AA etc)

·
Registered
990 Posts
There are a few about that were originally imported from Ireland, which I believe was only available in Highline spec over there (same as 115 & 130) with 15" wheels

·
Registered
990 Posts
There are a few about that were originally imported from Ireland, which I believe was only available in Highline spec over there (same as 115 & 130) with 15" wheels

no

·
Registered
990 Posts
There are a few about that were originally imported from Ireland, which I believe was only available in Highline spec over there (same as 115 & 130) with 15" wheels,

·
Registered
990 Posts
There are a few about that were originally imported from Ireland, which I believe was only available in Highline spec over there (same as 115 & 130) with 15" wheels,

no

·
Registered
990 Posts
There are a few about that were originally imported from Ireland, which I believe was only available in Highline spec over there (same as 115 & 130) with 15" wheels, no

·
Registered
990 Posts
There are a few about that were originally imported from Ireland, which I believe was only available in Highline spec over there (same as 115 & 130) with 15" wheels, no wood trim, no middle headrest etc or lumbar support on the front seats.

A true GTI will, as previously stated, have GTI TDI Excl on the data sticker.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From what I've seen on photographs and read on VW uk's used car details, it sounds like the "true" GTI TDi's have "steering wheel monted controls". I think this is an extra control stalk off the steering column, for what I do not know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
mine has this but it only controlls volume for radio,up and down, s elect for radio stations or cd controll and also does the set,accel and decel on the cruise control.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts