Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been without my mk4 (1.6) for a month or so now, having bought a Leon Cupra TDI 150. What a difference yes, but I miss small things about the mk4 even though they both share nearly every part! So..considering going back to a mk4 and have a bit of change in my pocket to pay a few things off/few small additions here and there.

Always been interested in the V5, but to be honest I don't think they are talked about enough and don't really see its point in the model lineup between the 1.8T and the 4motion. However, its exhaust note is very unique, its a good performer and much more subtle than the turbo mk4s.

On the other hand, I'm also interested in the 1.8T (poss 180)..something I've always wanted on my drive.

Whats the better option if any? Can't really separate them insurance wise for me anyway, and the difference in performance/acceleration isnt really anything to shout about.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
It depends on your requirements then.

The V5 is quite thirsty but sounds great. The 1.8T and V5 dont really look much different either.If you want extra performance ?400 will put the 1.8T past 200bhp whereas the V5 would need a lot more spent to achieve that much.

My cash would buy the 1.8T due to the extra possible performance for little extra cash and the more sporty interior.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd go for a 1.8T as well.  Apart from the turbo spooling up, you can almost make the 1.8T sound like a V5 by changing the exhaust.  Plus  like said before the 1.8T is IDEAL for tuning as there are so MANY options out there.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'd go for a 1.8T as well. Apart from the turbo spooling up, you can almost make the 1.8T sound like a V5 by changing the exhaust. Plus like said before the 1.8T is IDEAL for tuning as there are so MANY options out there.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

pause for breath...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That means no, you could never make a hairdry... sorry 1.8T sound like a V5, well unless you add a cylinder, remove a valve and crank 3 cylinders over 15 degrees!

[;)]

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'd go for a 1.8T as well. Apart from the turbo spooling up, you can almost make the 1.8T sound like a V5 by changing the exhaust. Plus like said before the 1.8T is IDEAL for tuning as there are so MANY options out there.

pause for breath...

That means no, you could never make a hairdry... sorry 1.8T sound like a V5, well unless you add a cylinder, remove a valve and crank 3 cylinders over 15 degrees!

[;)]
PMSL!

·
Registered
811 Posts
What on earth are you missing from the 1.6 golf that the cupra TDI doesnt have? I myself changed from a fairly well modded golf to a Leon cupra about 9 months back. Dont get me wrong the change was a tad strange and upsetting but I dont regret a thing now! It was all to fund moving into the new house and needing a more economical and cheaper to insure car....

I had a 220 BHP 1.8T with every possible bolt on and YES it did take time to adjust to the new car. I miss the exhaust note that a fully milltek'd 20v has (shut it V5 [:p]) and possibly the instrument lighting, but other than that no.... no looking back. The first few months I questioned my decision and almost wanted the car back, HOWEVER this was before I had remapped the 150. Im not sure what speck your cupra is, but I got my FR with electric leather, cruise etc and I love the interior??!! My advice would be to go out in a remapped 150 with a milltek and see what the difference is! Its a totally different car then. 190 bhp and 290 lb/ft are not to be sniffed at when your getting 450+ miles to a tank full of spirited driving! With the bottle on it should be 220+ and Decked on coils she's gonna look sublime.....

The V5 is a pointless choice if you want to mod, but the obvious choice if your leaving the engine stock. It sounds immense, but is a tad sluggish, even in the 170 variant. The 1.8t even in the 180 variant needs a fair bit doing to it, to make it the car it should be.... As people say its about what you want.......... BUT I would explore the TDI tuning route beofre you make a decision

·
Registered
165 Posts

pause for breath...

[;)]
LOL. Nice one Blue[:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
funny fucker [:mad:] I was on about the exhaust note, not the sound of the engine.
You'll never get a 1.8T exhaust note to sound like a V5 exhaust note though either. 2 completely differing sounds. At the moment I have noth the 1.8T and a V5, so I knows these things! [:)]

·
Registered
459 Posts
You'll never get a 1.8T exhaust note to sound like a V5 exhaust note though either. 2 completely differing sounds. At the moment I have noth the 1.8T and a V5, so I knows these things! [:)]
Explain why not ?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
A different exhaust makes the 1.8T sound much much better.... even the standard exhaust on the LCR makes it sound very throaty and loud. I dont think you're ever gonna get it sounding like a V5 or 6 tho, they both have their unique noise due to the extra angled cylinders.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Explain why not ?
Just as you wouldn't get a diesel to sound like a V12. A 1.8T cannot burble the way a V5 does, therefore you will not get the same noise or anything close to it from adding exhausts on, unless you actually put somehting special in the exhaust if there is such a thing.

Rev my 1.8T up and you will get a whooshing noise and a hairdryer noise. Rev my V5 up and you wont get any wooshing but you will get a nice burble increasing and then decreasing with slight popping.

Its not the same engine, therefore does not make the same noise.

If you had the two cars lined up and revve'd them both at the same time, your attention would be taken to the V5, because the 1.8T doesnt give much compared to the V5.

I aint slating the 1.8T here like I say I have both, but I'm just stating facts! If you think you can make a 1.8T give the same noise from the exhaust as a V5, go ahead and I will eat lots of humble pie when you prove it. [:p]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Sorry Auroan, didn't mean to offend i was just messing about. [:)]

ANDTURBO [:D] i wish i had 4motion!

But seriously, the difference is due to the firing order of the 5 cylinders, the size of the engine and the exhaust manifold lengths and pulses. It creates a burble that all V's do. But nowhere near as great as the chevy V8 burble!
The cat back exhaust has a lot to do with it too, my Blueflame really brought the sound quality to the front over the standard exhaust.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd disagree on getting a matching sound,  I agree it won't be totaly the same but only from experience, I've heard something very similar.  I was at Star Performance a while ago and they had a 1.8T there that sound every bit like a V8 (but with turbo whine).  I did a double take when i heard it.  This was a 225 1.8T in an S3 though so it may be diff to the Mk ivs.  They achieved it with a custom rear silencer running to a split sided twin tail pipes

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
They can do amazing things with exhausts, technology wise so yeah, you could probably get it close, but it involves lots of baffles, bends, different diameters/lengths and mufflers etc.
Did you know the modded scooby throb (that sounds sooooo good to the passer by but must do your head in on long journeys!!) is made through the use of unequal length header tubes? So each pulse travels different distances giving that characterstic sound. Not good for performance but it sounds great.
But, that noise orginates from the flat4 the scooby uses, a different engine combination again so what i'm saying is you need the dynamics of the engine to create a sound as well. An inline sounds one way, a V the other and a Flat different again. Add cylinders to that shape or increase displacement and the sound changes again.

On a sidenote where i kind of agree with you, my old beetle (fthe orginal flat4) with a 1 1/2" fully merged stainless header and 2.5" straight through back box (on a 1600 i add! much too big in hindsight) sounded like a V8 at idle and full chat.
[:)]

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I suppose a good example would be to compare say a Mercedes V8 to a Ferrari V8.... one grumbles and snarls at you, the other has that glorious high pitched wail..... both sound fantastic, yet both sound entirely different. Its amazing what engineers can do it really is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts