Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And no petrol owners saying "trade it in for a 1.8T" either!! [;)]

Following on I guess from the 0-60 and 40-70 topics. I've had my 115PD for about 4 months now and to be honest I'm not sure how to make the quickest progress in it as it runs out of puff at the top end... [:I]

Its a lovely overtaking car and has plenty of grunt for overtakes, but in terms of quickest way to get from A to B? Usually I change up before 4000 rpm as it seems like I'm getting out of the powerband at that point and it seems pointless taking it near the redline - what's your tips tractor drivers?! [:)]

·
Registered
383 Posts
Keep it in the torque band. Had mine for 19months now, and i drive diezel vans at work, If you death it you'll just get nowhere fast.

I usually short shift and very rarely go over 3500rpm, it's just a matter of playing on some empty roads!! (get up at 5am on a sunday and go for a blast to the coast!!!)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thats quite funny. Almost as funny as watching R drivers spend ?50 a week on fuel while I get away with that every month.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes ha ha to all... [:D]

lets keep it on topic chaps, we've had enough Petrol vs Diesel threads to last a lifetime!! [B)] [:)]

·
Registered
593 Posts
Quote: posted by Felix on 07/12/2004 15:35:46

Thats quite funny. Almost as funny as watching R drivers spend ?50 a week on fuel while I get away with that every month.

Nice one!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I read somewhere that it was best to change up at just over 3k rpm, but when I do that the next gear takes over at around 2400. The maximum torque is at 1900rpm or thereabouts.

It has been stated a few times that the best place to change in where the torque and bhp lines cross.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see what you're saying but imo after a change I don't want to be at 1900 rpm, even though thats the peak torque point I'll then be in a taller gear... so I'm thinking keeping it in the 3's is about right, but was looking for a definitive answer!!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thats quite funny. Almost as funny as watching R drivers spend ?50 a week on fuel while I get away with that every month

I guess R drivers are more interested in watching the Speedo rather than

watching the fuel gauge Zzzzzzzzzz go down

·
Registered
666 Posts
***Stunning model ditches racing car driver for tractor driver***

When pressed the model claimed how much she admired farmer Giles for his brilliant fuel saving antics such as coasting down hills and switching off at lights.

"My old boyfriend just drove so fast and never considered the cataclysmic impact and having fun whilst driving"

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thats true, the last thing they would need on top of that hefty fuel bill is a 3 point flash.

I dont know the answer as to when is the best time to change, maybe someone has a torque & BHP curve to see where the cross over is?

·
Registered
464 Posts
** tractor driving farmer ditches stunning model ***

When pressed the farmer detailed how he preffered intellgent conversation.

"Yes she was good looking, but a lady who is only interested in me for my car does not provide for a scintilating evening of conversation" "that racing car driver can have her back".

Seriously - making a statement that bases the ability to pick up attractive women around the car the male drives, says a lot about A) the women you wish to attract and B) the mentality of the owner.

If I wanted to pick up an attractive young lady who takes that kind of materialistic view on life, then I'd go rent a Ferrari for the weekend.

Can we get this back on topic then...

Has anyone got a BHP/Torque map of the PD130 or indeed the PD115 for the creator of this topic.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ive searched for the BHP/Torque maps for the PDs and cant find them anywhere - not to worry, Im sure there will be some kind person along shortly that will kno where they are hiding...

·
Registered
703 Posts
in the 150PD i change up at 2500 to 3000 for swift progress... if i want to stay in gear i let it go upto 3500, though for using all the 150horses i have to red line it... then change up 1 or 2 gears, it depends on speed, but in 3rd, its generally very quick, and any higher gear will mean ensuring revs are 2000-2500.

·
Registered
666 Posts
***Felix suffers horrendous mental anguish in humour bypass surgery***

Basically TDI owners go on about how fast they are, realise they're not so resort to mpg figures which interest R32 owners about as much as filling in a tax return.

"If I wanted to pick up an attractive young lady who takes that kind of materialistic view on life, then I'd go rent a Ferrari for the weekend" - No comment....!!!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Posted Image

Here's a plot for you on my car with REVO. If you were to change up where the torque and bhp curves cross then you'd be changing at around 2300rpm.

Personally I just drive the car without worrying too much at what revs to change at. I go mainly on feel because I know the car well.

You have a narrower torque band on an unmodified car, so my suggestion is get it chipped. It gives you much more useable power at the torque curve becomes wider whilst staying quite high. Yes the peak is at 1900rpm but that doesn't mean it's where you should change gear. I can quite happily to over 4000rpm before I change gear, it just depends on how I'm driving at the time as to how soon I'll change up.

Sutherland if you have nothing useful to contribute to the topic then please don't bother. We all know you're not a TDi fan and you've contributed nothing useful to this topic where someone is asking advice.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts