Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, test drove a lovely 150pd today (53 reg i think it was) to see what they are like in comparison to my lowly 115pd.

The car wasnt all that quicker if Im being honest, and had more lag, less punch, was surprisingly unimpressed.....

but I was impressed by the better handling, it had santa monicas on it which I guess helps but whats the best, and cheap, way of making my car handle like this.

I am looking to buy some tt 6 spoke 17inch alloys in the next week so Im guessing that just leaves the suspension....what can I do to that? Or will the wheels make most of the diff?

Many thanks

Sam

·
Registered
438 Posts
Not quite the question that was asked, but a very valid point.

As far as handling goes, get yourself some good coilovers and ARB's and you'll be laughing.

Peter

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much will they set me back? Can I fit them myself? Sorry Im a novice on this topic....will they affect my insurance?

Where did you get 140 from your 110? I am looking to get mine chipped soon but can only get 145 it would seem, would like higher....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how much would it cost to source the necesarry parts from a gti to make my suspension the same? Im thinking a breakers or someone who has upgraded their gti? And could I fit it all myself? If not how much would I need to budget for that?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey sam, i was under the impression you were selling up and moving on? Anyway i woudnt exprect the 150 to be that much quicker, but i would say a noticable difference over the 115. Im going to try to get mine chipped this month so i would just hold out for a remap.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I was but Im in my final year at uni atm, taking a gap year next year..... I would like to move onwards and upwards, however I think that if I do now, with my current budget etc, I will only want to change again in a year and a halfs time when I have a proper job, so Im starting to think that I might be better off waiting till then.

I have test driven a couple of cars and to be honest they just dont feel that much better than what I have atm, so I might just wait for a year or so and do a bigger jump upto something around the ?20,000 mark like a new gti rather than a half arsed effort if you see what I mean.

However, if Im gonna stay with the car for 18 months Im going to spend some money to make it the best I can till then....... hence new bigger wheels for better grip, a chip and maybe although price dependant due to the amount of time I will have the car, some revamped suspension.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I've got "Comfortline" suspension in my car. I got a tuning box and it went fast, but I had to slow down for the corners. Got some TT 17's and the handling (by comparison) is stunning! I'bve got Goodyear F1's on if that helps. Truth is though, there's still a lot of body roll into the corners and I'm going to get the suspension done at some point, just waiting for the ???!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for advice so far.... anymore opinions guys? Such as taking parts from a gti or anni, and how much that will cost?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Get an Eibach suspension kit mate.

You could just go for the springs but the age of your car means that the standard shocks will be dead in no time if you put lowered springs on.

I've got Eibach -30s with Bilstein B4 dampers on my 115 and the handling is transformed! The Eibach dampers are supposed to be as good if not better than the Billies (I went for Billies as they were cheaper when buying seperately, but I think the Eibachs are cheaper if you buy the whole kit). I think the kit is in the region of ?500.

The wheels also make a big difference as there is a lot more grip, and a lot less flex in the sidewall, meaning less body roll.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks for the comments.

I,ve just driven my friends PD150 and came to exactly the same conclusion as the first post - I was surprised how little difference there was in performance compared to my PD115 but the handling was in a different league with much better turn in and stability. I think I,ll have to start saving for a decent set up so it is good to have the recommendation. Did you need to get a full alignment done after fitting?

·
Registered
25 Posts
bang a set of coilovers on it mate and some low profiles, makes a hell of a difference, got a set for sale if you interested, coilovers that is

·
Registered
531 Posts
Can,t afford to do anything at present as I,ve been off work but I,d be interested to know details of make/cost in case I find some spare cash.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Get an Eibach suspension kit mate.

You could just go for the springs but the age of your car means that the standard shocks will be dead in no time if you put lowered springs on.

I've got Eibach -30s with Bilstein B4 dampers on my 115 and the handling is transformed! The Eibach dampers are supposed to be as good if not better than the Billies (I went for Billies as they were cheaper when buying seperately, but I think the Eibachs are cheaper if you buy the whole kit). I think the kit is in the region of ?500.

The wheels also make a big difference as there is a lot more grip, and a lot less flex in the sidewall, meaning less body roll.
The most appropriate suggestion so far. The eibachs with B4s can be bought for around ?300ish and will transform the handling.

Remember if you're modding on a budget that coil-overs should be declared to your insurance company who may choose to load your premium.

The other option is to find some s/h low mileage anniversary PD parts and fit those.

Remember too not to lower it too far as you will actually make the handling worse - make sure the wishbones are parallel to the ground, if they point down towards the centre of the car the roll centre will have moved too far and you'll be relying on mechanical grip for your handling - not a good solution.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Richard,   Thanks for the comments - I,d not considered s/h PD150 units but that is worth a thought.  Quite a few people seem to uprate the suspension on fairly new cars so presumably there must be some low mileage units for sale.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have an SE and have fitted the following:

Lowered progressive PI springs (?35 off ebay!) fitted to standard dampers. S3 upper and lower front braces (?55 of a fellow member) and it totally transformed the handling. I fitted them with the help of friends. The ride is a touch too firm - my friends Koni sportline equiped car rides much better - but I don't do many miles and they are all for pleasure anyway. The turn in and feel through the steering is leagues better.

I will be ordering some powerflex bushes this month from Awesome and will look to buy a rear arb in May. When my dampers go I'll be changing them for Koni items.

I don't know if any of this helps but I did very little to the car and am very happy with the results.

You will have to declare any mods you do to your car (even fitting Anni suspension would be considered a mod). Your provider may not continue your cover or charge you stupid amounts. So check before you change anything.

Personally I would not search a scrappy for dampers and springs. The braces are not that much more expensive than what I paid and you can get them from your dealer!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey sam, i was under the impression you were selling up and moving on? Anyway i woudnt exprect the 150 to be that much quicker, but i would say a noticable difference over the 115. Im going to try to get mine chipped this month so i would just hold out for a remap.
Hey sam if your still after a remap, ive just had mine done at chippeduk. If i remember you were thinking of going there? Anyway its the best mod i have ever done, car is so different and pulls fantasticly in everygear. If your in the turbo range in 6th gear the thing flies and i mean flies, cant be any happier. Next mod will have to be handeling for me i think. [:)]

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi mate, Im glad to hear you like it! The problem is that I am half considering selling my car, half considering keeping it. If I keep it I will be going to chipped UK and doing the suspension. Iv just got to work out what Im going to do over the next month or so.

Cheers for letting me know though mate.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ok, if your considering selling it, get the remap then judge for yourself, im sure if you wernt happy then you could get a refund. Me personally, im keeping my car for a long time so the remap was something i was deffiently going to do. Car is way quicker, remap's are the future lol.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts