Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I currently drive a Smart Roadster Coupe, but it's reliability is beginning to really hack me off.

I saw a GTI at the start of the Gumball 3000 rally this year and really liked it, but obviously don't want to spend such an amount.

I know next to nothing about Golfs and there seems to be such a range of them, I'm hoping somebody can recommend me which one to get for under 10k. (perhaps the choices aren't so great at this sort of price)

I'd prefer 3dr, but don't mind 5dr and preferably diesel. My commute is 12 miles each way through city traffic.

Any advice/recommendations will be greatly received.

C

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi SteveTDCi

Thanks for the links. I did a search earlier on Autotrader and saw a 2.0 S SDi for 10k on a private sale.

It shows you how much I know. I thought all the letters after it meant it was ok.

How much more would a decent diesel cost, and if you had a choice between the 2.0 and a 1.6, which would you chose?

C

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The 1.6 petrol is a very good engine imo, well i would say that wouldnt i [:D]

The 2.0 SDI is a dog!! no turbo makes it sooo slow!!

The 1.9 tdi is ok, but the ones i have driven seem to be noisy at high speeds due to the lack of a 6th cog

The 2.0 TDI is an excellent engine, nice power output, good MPG, just a bit noisy compared to other makes of Oil Burner

The 2.0 FSI a bit pointless... u may aswell have the TDI imo

So obviously the 2.0 tdi is more powerful and gives better MPG than the petrols... but its quite noisy.. so if i were you i would see what i wanted from the car, test drive both the petrol and diesel and see what you prefer and see what you can get for your money!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Also if your looking at second hand ones, and you see a 1.6 FSI SE in shadow blue, fair few miles on the clock.. with lots of options and going cheap... check the reg plate, if its NG04 VHL walk away!! That was my old car that i got replaced... it was a nightmare of a car!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Depends on your circumstances but I would suggest a 1.6FSi, Have a look around VW dealers i'm sure you will find something. Whats the spec on your Smart ?age miles etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for your advice. I'll make sure to avoid your old lemon cjp2k. Reading your post, I thought you were originally going to say it was stolen. but a nightmare car isn't good either.

I've just taken a look for 1.6 FSIs on Autotrader and there aren't many. In fact there looks to be only 1 under 10k and it's a trade sale. .

Can't link to it directly but this is the spec on it -

VOLKSWAGEN Golf 1.6 Sport FSI , 5 Doors, Automatic, Hatchback, Petrol, 2005 05 Reg , 5,000 miles, Metallic Black. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Head restraints, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Lumbar support, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Radio/CD, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Sports seats, Traction control, Anti theft system, CD, Child locks, Colour coding - Body, Colour coding - Interior, Metallic paintwork, Tinted glass. 6 speed Auto Tiptronic , 10 airbags , 18 ich Rs four alloys ?9,990

What are your opinions on this one.

I suppose the mileage I do doesn't justify a diesel and I'm really looking for an ideal commuting car.

I'm currently driving a Smart Roadster Coupe, all Jack Black 54-reg. 1yr old next week. 5.3k miles. Sports pack. soft top. 16" split line alloys.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
as a guide yours is worth ....

Smart Roadster Coupe
0.7 Petrol 2-door Targa
6 Speed Semi-Automatic Rear Wheel Drive
Year: 2004 54
Mileage: 5,000

Estimated value of your car

Part-exchange Price:

Excellent condition:
?7920
Average condition:
?7100
Below average condition:
?6280

The only problem with the GOlf is the auto box, not sure if its a good idea. Its also VERY cheap...

Volkswagen Golf Sport
1.6 Petrol 5-door Hatchback
6 Speed Automatic Front Wheel Drive
Year: 2005 05
Mileage: 5,000

Estimated value of your car

Part-exchange Price:

Excellent condition:
?13200
Average condition:
?11900
Below average condition:
?10600

I'd do a HPi check on it, unless you know the registration number ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SteveTDCi

Which guide did get those figures from ? My eyes are watering.......

Using www.wisebuyers.co.uk I get the following:

Retail:?10,450

Private Good:?10,000
Private Average:?9,330
Private Poor:?8,950
Part Exchange:?9,710
Trade:?9,522
[/TD]

Looking on autotrader most similar specs are offered at about 9.5k which is where I thought mine would be priced.

Yes, that is the one I found. (I couldn't find the link to paste to it)

From your comments, I guess it's got DODGY written all over it. It definitely did look too good to be true.

I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I use www.vauxhall.co.uk and then from the sections across the top use "value my car" they use Glasses to supply prices and I have found they they are reasonably accurate, I use them to get a base figure before sending a car to auction. If you use them as a guide, I'd guess you could push for 8.5-9k for yours, or a touch more if you sell it private. Work on the assumption that the car you are looking at has been marked up by ?1500-2000. also don't worry too much about PX prices. The cost to change is the most important thing.

With that sport I'd guess it's an import, or has a dodgy history. Most of the 1.4/1.6 low milers that you find with 10-15k on the clock will be hire cars, usually Europcar who are owned by VW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tip! I've just valued my beemer on it and it's come out better than some of the other sites so a big PHEW!

I was just looking at the parkers classified as I saw your message and all the cars on there have just over 15k, so I'd guess that they were all hire cars.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/carsforsale/search.aspx?dealer=0&manu=12243&model=1177&minprice=&maxprice=10000&distance=0&postcode=NW11+6DX&searchfilter=1.6&transmission=&fueltype=&sort=2&resultsperpage=10&showphotos=true&x=39&y=10

And I've currently got a hire car from Europcar while my roadster's at the garage, but I only got a Daewoo Matiz. Yeurgh!!!

I'm going to keep looking, but I hope you don't mind if I post a classified I see for your opinion.

Thanks. C

·
Registered
118 Posts
go another 5 and get a 2.0 gt tdi ive had one on an 05 plate as a courtesy car for just over a week and its amazing.very fast 6 speed box it really does kick ass only trouble is ive got to give it back

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I guess it's got DODGY written all over it. It definitely did look too good to be true.
Why? It may be cheap, it may well be an imported vehicle but it is well worth checking out. If HPI checks out have an engineer look at it and also contact VW UK to see how much warranty it has. The seller is a dealer so the Sale of Goods Act will apply. The spec seems right for what you want - partic the auto box for your 12 mile crawl.

You also need to check which kind of auto box it has, is it DSG or standard auto, either way it should be 6-speed? This car is ?16,750, new list price!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi there,

I have seen the auto 1.6 Sport on autotrader and thought it is too good
to be true but it is worth checking out - if that's the spec you're
after.

Similar spec cars on the vw approved used website cost much more.

It would be worth you looking on there as well but the majority of cars
that come up will be ex hire vehicles - the reg will start with A, e.g.
AD, etc registered around Norwich I think.

I too am looking for a mk5 golf to replace my mk4. I'm looking at the 1.6 Sport as it has the extras over a standard S.

I have come across 2 brand new 3dr 1.6FSi s for ?11700 in metallic blue at Parkways

http://www.parkwayapproved.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=27961&pageid=1

I have phoned up about them and they are the 2005 model (without the roof aerial and 3 spoke steering wheel).

But they'll only give you trade value on your car in p/x.

good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
But if you sell your car privatly you will be quids in. If you push hard you might get a great deal this side of christmas, try the week between boxing day and new years day. Dealers will want to hit there sales target and during that week it will be quiet.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The 1.9 tdi is ok, but the ones i have driven seem to be noisy at high speeds due to the lack of a 6th cog
Ahhh, but not if you get it in Sport spec as the 6th cog is there! [;)]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What a mine of information I've been given. Wow. Thanks everybody.

The cheap one on Autotrader does look great and had it been for sale closer to London, I might have been tempted to have done the checks, but it's a little too far for me at present.

Interesting info about the cars available on the VW site. I'll bear in mind for the future that most cars with reg beginning with A- with 10k+ mileage will be ex-hire cars.

I'll check out those 2 cars in the link thanks. I just hope that either are still available towards the end of the year.

Now to get on with selling my car......

·
Registered
126 Posts
yes the 1.6 3 door sport I have mine since Oct 21 and very very happy wiht it--go for the spots and centre arm rest like I did.

6 speed works a treat on motorways bringing average 43mpg at 3000 rpm at 70mph and the 1.6 fsi 115 engine has some power compared to my 1.6 honda vtec sport!

Go for it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts