Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering because i wash my car like once or twice a week what's the best cleaning product??

I used fairy liquid the other day and it looked pretty good but i've been told because of the degreasers in the liquid it can mess up the laquer, so i'm glad i've only done it the once. phew!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Just wondering because i wash my car like once or twice a week what's the best cleaning product??

I used fairy liquid the other day and it looked pretty good but i've been told because of the degreasers in the liquid it can mess up the laquer, so i'm glad i've only done it the once. phew!
NEVER EVER use washing up liquids on car finishes. It will ruin them as it will the rubber on windscreen wiper blades if it is put into the reservoir.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Just a half decent car shampoo will be fine for a normal wash. Go for the mid range priced stuff, not the cheap pap, not the expensive stuff either, but middle of the range and that should be fine for a normal weekly clean. I've got a great big bottle of simonez or something like that for my usual clean, but then diamondbrite shampoo for the weekends when I'm going to be detailing and stuff.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight so the mid priced stuff for general washes and high priced stuff for detailing washes.

Also is there any different in the mid and high priced stuff, like does the higher priced stuff leave a better finish??

thanks sonny

·
Registered
689 Posts
I would just go to halfords and get either the zymol wash or the megs gold class/nxt gen wash, all good products, mid price category

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would just go to halfords and get either the zymol wash or the megs gold class/nxt gen wash, all good products, mid price category
Zymol cheapo wash is good, failing that never had a problem with Simoniz Wash and Wax type stuff. Just stay away from the fairy it'll strip the protective wax off and the paint will ultimately suffer.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I don't think that in all reality the higher priced stuff leaves a better finish after just a normal washover with a sponge. I think it's more a trick of the mind. However, the only reason I use it when I'm doing a detailing session is because it feels like sometimes it leaves a better feel on the paint. I also don't want a greasy finish when I wash it to detail it, which some of the cheap stuff leaves I feel.

The high priced stuff comes into it's own when you have spent hours waxing your car and glazing it and then you need to wash it. With some of the cheaper stuff, it might eat into your layers of wax over time and your efforts are ruined. With the higher priced stuff that's made by the same brand of wax that you used, it shouldnt eat into the layer of wax, should just compliment it nicely.

General rule I reckon is to just not bother with tescos own brand stuff! You get what you pay for most of the time and the ingredients/quantities should be better in the mid to higher priced stuff. A lot of the time though it is just a brand name your paying for and a trick of the mind!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So overall the best stuff for washing the car or a regular basis is either Zymol or megs.

So whats the prices of these and how many washes can you get out of them?

Thanks again for all the comments

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Poorboys shampoo is first rate. 10 pounds for a fair amount, it last for ages and you hardly need any at all.

Recommended.

Most important benefit of it is that it WILL NOT strip wax from your car :)

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
mEgs NXT is the best value for money, you get shed loads for your ??????.[Y]

Other good stuff is ZYMOL (mmm the smell) Clearkote, or Goldclass shampoo.

AVOID Autogrims rubbish, no suds at all [N]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
So megs is some good stuff then?? how much does is cost??

Sonny
For a big bottle of NXT,1.5ltr I think its about ?14. they sell it in Fletchers in town, on great lister street, just nr the big matalan off the express way, they have shed loads of megs stuff [:D]

·
Registered
84 Posts
I managed to get a hold of a 5L drum of autoglym body work shampoo for ?15. shouldnt need any more for a while.

why do so many of you guys have a problem with the autoglym range??

i have most of there products and rate them highly, and have used some megs too.

have any of you used autoglyms new polish- deep shine? for darker colours aparently.

cheers

stuart

1 - 20 of 28 Posts